Weekly Dev Log for August 19th, 2019

Weekly Dev Log for August 19th, 2019

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Weekly Dev Log for August 19th, 2019, detailing all the changes that have happened since August 12th, 2019. Note: Devs that don’t appear in the weekly log are not necessarily away or not doing work, but may be working on things currently not announced or backend work that doesn’t need to be detailed.

New Community Manager

A couple weeks ago we announced that we now have a new community manager, @ThisIsntNath . He will be running community events, such as Condo Contests, and will be bringing back the Idlescreens for the Theatre. You can read his introduction post here.

Arcade Progress

@Johanna worked on signs for both the “Ice Cave” and “Newton’s Apples” machines, as well as working on the general layout of the Arcade.

@wheezwer continued working on art for the “Dragon’s Treasure” machine, as well as starting on the pixel art for Galaxy Police, creating some main menu sprites, ship sprites, a concept for the final boss, and some backgrounds for the first level.

@macdguy finished the gameplay for the “Newton’s Apples” machine.

@madmijk continued working on the gameplay code for “Captain Calypso’s Planetary Piano”.

@joshua continued working on new plushies for the Arcade.

@Gloves continued working on animations for the arcade, making some animations for “Coloracle 2: Whose Hue?” and “Newton’s Apples”.

Newton’s Apples Gameplay WIP

Newton’s Apples Machine Art and Sign WIP

The Ice Cave Machine Art and Sign WIP

Dragon’s Treasure Machine Art WIP

Arcade Layout Overview WIP

Plaza Minigame Event Teleporters

@Johanna started working on new teleporters that will appear in the Plaza when a plaza minigame is underway, allowing players to quickly teleport and join them. These will be placed throughout the map, and display which game is currently active.

Plaza Minigame Event Teleporter: No Event WIP

Plaza Minigame Event Teleporter: Event Active WIP

Bug Fixes / Optimizations

@Sketch continued working on bug fixes and optimizations in several areas of Tower Unite.

• Fixed an issue with references not being decremented when removing a model (model would infinitely occupy memory after this).
  • Possibly fixed an issue with transparent textures on workshop models not loading correctly when first spawning. Haven’t been able to replicate it since finishing up the fix for models not loading correctly when first joining a server.
  • After testing, transparency and model loading still can sometimes screw up. Looking into another root cause.

GMod Tower: Reunion

Work continues on getting GMod Tower: Reunion online. Last week, we put out a status update detailing our progress, which you can read here.

Wrap It Up

That about covers everything that happened since August 12th, 2019 at PixelTail Games. See you all next week!

43 Likes

Looking good! Can’t wait to see everyone all abuzz in the arcade.

3 Likes

Happy Birthday Caboose! :tada:

8 Likes

I’m excited for the arcade! And I’m also so glad to hear the theater idlescreens will be making a return!

4 Likes

Happy Birthday Caboose my dude! Have a good one :smiley:

2 Likes

I can’t wait for the arcade :smiley:

4 Likes

Man, so many Arcade machines and games that there all very good, you all did a very good job on the Arcade, I can’t wait till the Arcade Update release.

2 Likes

The arcade looks fantastic populated with machines. Also, an accuracy percentage on Newton’s Apples makes me feel like an achievement for perfect accuracy would be nice ;3

2 Likes

Arcade hype: Check.

Caboose’s birthday: Check. (Happy birthday!)

Keep on reading and providing ideas for TU: Check. (see my latest post)

Arcade already checking out! Already trying to farm lots of XP in other modes lol

2 Likes

Y’all sleeping on the minigame teleporter.

Keep up the good work birthday boy :wink:

2 Likes

Minigame teleporters look great, I can imagine it rises out of the ground dramatically with smoke and confetti.

Also Happy Birthday to you Caboose!

1 Like

I love the cool screen that Newton’s Apple’s uses really gives the game a lot of flavour.

The teleporter looks really, really cool and it’s good that players who miss the window to join a a minigame after it starts have a way to quickly get into the action as often when I have missed a prompt for a minigame I’ve given up

1 Like

The circling red minigame teleporter (the one that teleports you to Narnia and the death arena) is hard on the eyes, at least for me. Would it be possible to have the new one replace this?

3 Likes

Love the new arcade machines! Also happy birthday Caboose!

1 Like

Check out the thread!

1 Like

Happy Birthday Caboose!!! :tada: :blush:

1 Like

Dang these birthdays are wild fire, happy birthday Caboose!

1 Like

Ive been waiting for arcade for what feels like forever. Hope to see it soon. Great work as usual devs.

1 Like

Everything looks fantastic! Keep up the great work, I can’t wait for me and the lads to get our hands on these games :eyes: