Hi everyone, yesterday we drafted up a specification for how Items will work in tower.
We’ve managed to work out most of the kinks with user created content and officially created content.
This is open for discussion, as we’re still working on it.
We want to know what you guys think.
#Tower Unite Item Specification v1
- Ranked Server: a server running unmodified code with VAC enabled
- Item: an object in the game which can be owned by a player and can be placed in the world or equipped
- Instance: an Item which was given to a player (i.e. has an owner and exists ‘in inventory’ or ‘in world’)
- Genuine: an Item Instance which was earned on a Ranked Server and has been sanctioned by PixelTail Games
- Non-genuine: an Item Instance which was earned on an Unranked Server or is a non-sanctioned Workshop item
- Class: a definition of an item which exists in the game code or Workshop
- Item Attribute: a parameter which is generated and applied to an item Instance when it’s spawned
- Item Descriptor: a parameter which is applied to an item Class in game code or workshop
- Non-genuine items cannot be traded.
- All workshop items are free (you will not be charged units for them).
- All workshop items are non-genuine regardless of where you got them.
- Workshop items can be obtained on both ranked and unranked servers.
- You can place both genuine and non-genuine items in your condo as it is yours to host.
Condos will have a new attribute applied to them: “Genuineness”.
Given all the items the player has used to furnish their condo, the game will calculate a percentage that expresses how many of the items in the condo are “Genuine”.
When entering someone’s condo you’ll see a UI element expressing how “Genuine” that condo is:
Our reasoning behind this is that the condo is a place where people get to show off what they have accrued through gameplay.
Since we’ll be making workshop items free (which are non-genuine), we need a way to differentiate between items that were “earned” and items that were simply “bestowed”.
This also applied to non-genuine items awarded by unranked servers as we can’t ensure the validity of their origin.
All items that ship with the game will be marked as genuine when obtained through a ranked server.
Workshop items will start out as universally non-genuine.
On some regular interval we will select popular workshop items, contact the authors of those items and with their permission, mark the items as genuine and ship them with the game.
Once a workshop item has been marked as genuine, the genuine and non-genuine versions of that item will still exist in the Tower Unite universe (i.e. the old non-genuine version still exists).
##Upgrading to genuine:
If a player owns a non-genuine version of an item that was recently promoted to genuine they will have to purchase the genuine version using their in-game Units (i.e. all genuine items must be earned).
We will have a system that facilitates this, you should be able to press a button and replace all non-genuine versions of your items with the genuine version and pay the cost in bulk.
While you’re in someone’s condo, you can use the Item Inspector to look up information about items you are looking at.
This can be used to determine if an item is genuine or not, how much it costs, and other attributes.