Accessibility Related Suggestions Megathread

The right stick in zombie massacre is inverted, I would like the option to uninvert it.

5 Likes

Options for toggling sprint and toggling crouch. Some people might not be able to press the buttons for extended periods of time, and some people might just prefer to play like that.

7 Likes

So this is sorta multiple things together that turn into something that could maybe be an issue for people with epilepsy. There are some bugs that can cause you to begin falling when in noclip, while still having no collision. This happens with the firework launcher and RC items, and if done on the right parts of the default condo lmao nvm it’s most of the default condo, can cause a teleport loop. Because of the smoke particle that happens when teleported back in-bounds, can cause a strobing effect that might be bad for some people.

Video hidden behind summary thingy because flashing lights

https://youtu.be/bhlwyVZqxJY

So while the aforementioned bugs have already been reported–I’m sorta bumping them here because when combined with that part of the default condo it could probably trigger something, which would probably be unepic. There’s this suggestion to remove the teleporters all together, but I think even just removing the smoke particles would help a fair bit. Also fixing the noclip bug would be epic.

4 Likes

just wanted to add that this also happens when you noclip while climbing a ladder

1 Like

[Here are some relevant excerpts from gameaccessibilityguidelines.com]

1. Although high contrast is beneficial for very large numbers of people and circumstances, very high contrast (black on white) can cause difficulty for people with certain forms of dyslexia.

2. Different colour combinations work better for different people, for example dark blue text on a light blue background can work well for some people with irlen-related dyslexia, and yellow text on a dark blue background can work well for cataracts, so the best possible option is a free choice of foreground and background colours. But if a wide spectrum of options isn’t feasible, even a simple choice between high contrast and low contrast still makes a significant difference.

Source: http://gameaccessibilityguidelines.com/provide-a-choice-of-text-colour-lowhigh-contrast-choice-as-a-minimum/

More specific minimum recommendations from a web dev perspective:

• Text and images of text have a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1.
  • Large text - at least 18 point (typically 24px) or 14 point (typically 18.66px) and bold - has a contrast ratio of at least 3:1.

See WCAG 2.1: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#contrast-minimum

2 Likes

Thank you for the post! It would be helpful if you gave examples of where you see this being an issue in Tower Unite. Like are you bringing this up because of the overall font size in the game, or color choices in specific areas, etc.?

2 Likes

This is something I briefly touched on in @SpongePierre’s suggestion post here.

1. I personally like the NPC staring mechanic added, though I can see how some people find it creepy and would like to toggle it off. After considering that, I thought about how this change might negatively affect individuals with scopophobia, the excessive fear of being stared at. I do not struggle with this myself, but a few of my personal friends have expressed difficulty on social media where art or videos of people staring directly at the camera creates massive discomfort - this change would likely bring about the same for affected individuals.

2. To circumvent this, I would suggest something like a “Scopophobia Filter” somewhere in the content settings to disable this behavior and any other potential issues that could fall under the same filter. If it cannot be done client-side, then it would be nice if the NPCs would retain the behavior but simply ignore those with the setting enabled (and on that note, an option to toggle condo NPC staring in their individual settings would be much appreciated).

2 Likes

Mouse only click adventure navigation mode for the lobby.
Turn bottons on the sides of the screen and clickable way points to walk the player’s avatar to those locations.
Think kinda like Google Maps virtual walking feature but Tower Unite.
A third person hovering camera might also be good with this for those with motion sickness and trouble with the locked aim camera.
The idea is to lock the camera in one place and allow free cursor movement to reduce unneeded or unexpected motion.
Would take some time to create way points and traveling paths but perhaps there’s an easier method that could allow more freedom anyway.
That way one could use voice chat and the mouse alone and still hang out in the lobbies.
Perhaps a similar method for mini game machines as well.
Lock the camera and allow free cursor clicking, perhaps with a screen edge turning function to look around when needed.
Whack a mole games could benefit from a locked camera and free cursor movement as I’ve had some friends have trouble with the FPS locked aim view making them too motion sick to play it.
Just some thoughts if it might be helpful.

2 Likes

Maybe an option to disable upgrade sounds if someone finds them distracting or doesn’t react well to one of the sounds. Toggling it switches over to default Minigolf sounds or something idunno.

5 Likes

in addition to this it’d be nice if there was a way to toggle sounds but only on specific upgrades. it’d kinda suck if there was one specific upgrade that made sounds that bothered me, but i only had the choice to either have to keep hearing it so i can hear the other upgrades, or disable unique sounds for every upgrade just to stop hearing 1 upgrade’s sounds

3 Likes

That’s fine, but I’m also gonna change the ink ball sounds a bit more.

6 Likes

Can we turn off the moving backround on entry or can i change the startup music?

Some of the music types make me sick along with some effects into the games?

I also have aspergers and theres a few visual keys i wait for when playing mini games along with audio keys the baloon pop is horible along with lazer tag because of some of the stuff like the table top games i can not play i got a swing arm camera along with the same problem with alien swarm im better at fps’s?

Let me sub but download what addons i want same problem with gmod?
and change the icons in the character select screen so there a diffrent layout there cluttered and hard to see

3 Likes

Ooh, hey. A fellow aspie.

I’ve been getting kinda nauseous playing this game too long because there’s something with turning quickly in this game that my brain really doesn’t like. However there’s this one post processing effect that only happens underwater in the Underwater condo (I’m assuming it’s motion blur?) that feels a lot more pleasant on the eyes to me:

I’d really appreciate if there was a toggle in the settings to enable whatever effect this is everywhere (preferably the same strength as it is underwater, or w/ a slider)

4 Likes

Maybe it might be an idea to color each word in Typing Derby differently to make it easier to read? I have Dyscalculia, and I know it helps me when different numbers have different colors to differentiate them, at least.

2 Likes

The new “Rainbow Light” (and “Rainbow Gradient”/“Light Gradient”) condo surface material definitely seems like a photosensitivity trigger, especially since the thumbnail for it doesn’t mention flashing at all. Seems like it would be a good idea to:

1. add some sort of warning to the surface thumbnail that about the flashing (e.g. renaming from “Rainbow Light” to “Flashing Rainbow Light” or “Rainbow Light (Flashing Colors)”)

2. add an option under the accessibility options to tone down these textures (making the “nightclub brightness” setting tone down the effects (and renaming the option accordingly), or adding a toggle to block those materials

7 Likes

Hey, I just had a quick run through of the thread and I dont think this has been mentioned?

I’m hard of hearing which makes using the in game voip difficult to begin with. However the sharp falloff range on voice makes it even harder and I often miss large parts of what is said, especially if people are moving around.

Having an option to extend the range / turn off the falloff for use in condos or etc would be incredibly useful as a general feature but also make it much easier to for me and others to interract with people.

7 Likes

i’d like to add to this that with how players voices get muffled behind walls this could make it even harder for people to hear what others are saying considering i’ve noticed this muffling happening from things as simple as standing behind a desk…

i have fairly good hearing myself, and even for me it makes people near/completely incomprehensible when that muffling kicks in and it’s awfully annoying when i should totally be hearing them…

i’m not one to talk as i don’t have any major hearing condition, but i would personally love to see the option to extend/turn off the falloff as well as the option to remove those types of voice distortion since even i often have difficulties hearing what people are saying…

4 Likes

about a week and a half ago, minecraft added an accessibility setting to prevent the flashing effect when lightning strikes
i think this or something like it might be a nice thing to implement into tower as well. i like to go for a rainy and/or storming vibe for a lot of my condos, and while working i’ve seen a good few lightning effects that felt like i would not enjoy if i was photosensitive

4 Likes

I’m visually impaired in some ways, and find I easily lose track of friends or foes in games. The ability to enable a (not over-rendering) outline that indicates team colours or the like would be useful in games like Virus or dark areas. Better if you can make it adjustable.

9 Likes