Weekly Dev Log for August 9th, 2021

Weekly Dev Log for August 9th, 2021

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Weekly Dev Log for August 9th, 2021, detailing all the changes that have happened since August 2nd, 2021. Note: Devs that don’t appear in the weekly log are not necessarily away or not doing work, but may be working on things currently not announced or backend work that doesn’t need to be detailed.

Summer Characters are Back!

Summer is here and the summer characters are back and visiting the Plaza once again! Talk with them to get free items and units.

Update 0.14.3.0 - Arcade: Phase 2

Work continues on the finishing touches for Arcade: Phase 2, introducing new games to the Arcade, and more.

Read more about this update here.

June/July 2021 Condo Contest Over!

The June/July 2021 Condo Contest has concluded!

The winners are:
1st place - 2,000,000 Units - @darkcoolyo
2nd place - 1,125,000 Units - @Frasler
3rd place - 800,000 Units - @Battlemark
4th place - 600,000 Units - @BubberDucky
5th place - 400,000 Units (200,000 Units each) - @LeTexPro (kivsune & Neddy)

Congratulations to everyone who won, and thank you to everyone who participated, both in the contest and deciding the winners! We can’t wait to see you all in the next one!

You can check out all of the submissions here.

Accessibility Suggestions

We’ve created a forum post asking the community for suggestions on how we can improve gameplay for players with certain conditions such as colorblindness, dyslexia, or anything else that might affect a players ability to use the standard presentation and controls of the game.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, and possible solutions on how to solve a particular issue, please check out the forum post here.

Arcade - Phase 2

@macdguy worked on fixing a bunch of networking related bugs with Arcade - Phase 2 that was observed during internal testing. He also worked on implementing the various food items that will be purchasable inside of the Arcade. Work was also done on the Shooting Gallery, but this will in be a future phase.

@Madmijk worked on various aspects of Arcade - Phase 2, such as fixing some bugs with achievements and “Captain Calypso’s Planetary Piano”. He also worked on “Mas Fuerte” and “Candy Slam”.

@Will continued working on more sounds for “Gears of Coin”.

Arcade: New Food Items

Plaza: Rail Shooting Gallery

@Johanna continued working on the Rail Shooting Gallery, finishing the first version of the effects for the transition areas along with working on the first section where players will board the ride vehicle.

@Wheezwer continued worked on concept art for the Rail Shooting Gallery.

Plaza: Rail Shooting Gallery Loading Station Concept Art WIP

Condo: Canvas Permissions Rework

@macdguy worked on reworking the Canvas permissions system to make it simpler, and fixed bugs that prevented the system from working properly the first time.

Custom Content Warning

Upon entering a new condo, the player will be shown a redesigned Custom Content Warning prompt.

The player will have four options they can choose.

Temporary
Show: This will show the canvas images just this once.
Hide: This will hide the canvas images just this once.

When the player leaves / re-joins the condo, the “Custom Content Warning” prompt will re-appear.

Permanent
Show & Trust: This will show the canvas images, and save the setting for the condo host.
Hide & Block: This will hide the canvas images, and save the setting for the condo host.

When the player leaves / re-joins, the “Custom Content Warning” prompt won’t re-appear.

The setting can be changed in the scoreboard later however if preferred.

Canvas Caching

The Canvas caching system has also now been revamped.

Previously, the game would cache the canvas images from condos that the player trusted.
Now, the game will only cache canvas images from condos whose owners you are friends with.

Canvas Safety Level

There is also now a “Canvas Safety Level” in the settings, with three settings.

Public: The user will be asked before loading canvas data from any new condo.
Friends Only: Canvas data will be loaded automatically from Friend owned condos, but no one else.
Disabled: No canvas data will be loaded ever.

Condo: Redesigned Custom Content Warning

Condo: Canvas Safety Level

Condo: Teleporter Item Improvements

@macdguy improved the teleporter item.

Before, objects and players would exit the teleporter with their velocity and angle being reset.

Now, objects and players will now keep their velocity and angle upon exiting a teleporter.

Condo: Teleporter Item Improvements (Before / After)

Miscellany

@macdguy worked on implementing a dialog on the main menu to advertise player surveys.

@Lifeless continued working on the Ball Race “Midori” map overhaul.

@Sketchman continued working on improvements and optimizations. He worked on optimizations and fixes for the Voice Chat system, as well as working on the Player Grouping system. He also finished the Steam achievements for Arcade - Phase 2.

@Wheezwer continued working on concept art for the planned Accelerate map, “Archenemypelago”.

Main Menu: Player Surveys Dialog

Wrap It Up

That about covers everything that happened since August 2nd, 2021 at PixelTail Games. See you all next week.

Join our Discord for development updates and community fun!
https://discord.gg/pixeltail
We love awesome people like you!

We’re also active on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/PixelTailGames

Follow our developments on our Trello in near real-time:
https://trello.com/b/6BwRMiPw/tower-unite-roadmap

Take a peek at what’s being worked on every week in our weekly dev logs! There’s bound to be something interesting every week!
https://forums.pixeltailgames.com/c/devupdates/weekly-dev-logs

Please report bugs & submit suggestions on our forums. We’re active everyday & here to help.
For bug reports: https://forums.pixeltailgames.com/c/bug-report/18
For suggestions: https://forums.pixeltailgames.com/c/suggestions/7

Support PixelTail Games with Ko-Fi

Support PixelTail Games on Patreon

Checkout Tower Unite Merch on Redbubble

<3 PixelTail Games

20 Likes

Now I want ice cream… Super excited! The Shooting Gallery concept art looks amazing, can’t wait to see the final product!

2 Likes

Any chance we can get (some) of the food items as face slot items like the toast? I want to walk around with a burger in my mouth.

2 Likes

I see that there is a photo a august servey. Will there be an actual servey sometime this month. Cause I would really like that.

1 Like

They mentioned in the Discord/last dev log (I forgot which) that they would be doing one soon.

1 Like

Yes, it’ll be out with the phase 2 update.

8 Likes

Burger

I was curious about this. On the Item manifest there’s only one ice cream tub and one cone item for the condo, how will we get different flavours? do they use the variant system to change textures to the different flavours?

Also would it be possible to see these textures usable on Canvases? I think I see cookie dough, chocolate, and vanilla on three cubes in the background of the pizza video but I can’t be sure.

It uses the same settings as the trees, so you can choose which variant you want.

6 Likes