Weekly Dev Log for August 12th, 2019

Weekly Dev Log for August 12th, 2019

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Weekly Dev Log for August 12th, 2019, detailing all the changes that have happened since August 5th, 2019. Note: Devs that don’t appear in the weekly log are not necessarily away or not doing work, but may be working on things currently not announced or backend work that doesn’t need to be detailed.

July 2019 Survey Results

Last week, we released the survey results for our July 2019. Over 1,600 Tower Unite players participated in this survey. You can check out the results here.

GMod Tower: Reunion

Work is continuing on getting GMod Tower: Reunion online. The database has been migrated, and now work has begun on getting all of the LUA errors sorted out. We don’t have an estimated date to give out at the moment, but are working as fast as we can and hope to release it as soon as possible.

Arcade Progress

@wheezwer continued working on art for the “Coloracle 2: Whose Hue?”, “Ball Bounce”, “Dragon’s Treasure”, and “Meteoroid Mania!” arcade machines.

@madmijk continued working on the gameplay code for “Captain Calypso’s Planetary Piano”.

Coloracle 2: Whose Hue? Art WIP

Ball Bounce Art WIP

Meteoroid Mania! Art WIP

Dragon’s Treasure Art WIP

Revamped Scoreboard

@macdguy started working on a brand new scoreboard for Tower Unite, designed to be familiar and as functional as the one from GMod Tower: Lobby 1.

Revamped Scoreboard

Bug Fixes / Optimizations

@Sketch continued working on bug fixes and optimizations for several areas of Tower Unite.

• Fixed an issue that caused workshop models to enter an infinitely loading state.
  • Fixed a long standing issue that caused Steam inventory consolidation to crash our backend servers.
  • Fixed item exchanging not working in certain situations if your items weren’t in separate stacks.
  • Fixed a network bug that caused players to not properly load their workshop avatar when initially joining a server.

Wrap It Up

That about covers everything that happened since August 5th, 2019 at PixelTail Games. See you all next week!

49 Likes

Damn that scoreboard looks great.

12 Likes

Well that last part was unexpected. Only getting more and more hyped every week

2 Likes

I didn’t know I wanted an updated scoreboard until now

1 Like

Great work as always guys!

1 Like

Thanks for the update guys, great work so far.

OOH, didn’t see the scoreboard part, I once played GMT and that is amazing it’s coming to TU also!

Time to get in the game and start grinding!

I love the new scoreboard!

Love that scoreboard, and the arcade looks like it’ll be awesome

1 Like

Fear not! I am here to post Discord screenshots with more context for those who need them:

20 Likes

That new scoreboard makes me so happy. So does the coin pusher. This whole update makes me happy.

1 Like

I have wanted this for so long, oh my god

Wakes up starts reading
Hmmm yes the survey results yep very good, more progress on reunion I like that, arcade looking pretty good still…
SPITS OUT IMAGINARY WATER
G…G…GMT SCOREBOARD IN TU!!! AMAZING

3 Likes

I didn’t realise how much i needed this until now! I hope it includes the scrolling item name text.

God the scoreboard looks amazing, i feel like arcade is just around the corner with how much things are added every week but it’s probably not

2 Likes

Hope those bug fixes stops my errors

Everything is looking great!

My question is currently on the Scoreboard. While I absolutely love bringing it back from GMT, wouldn’t there be quite a bit of menu redundancy Between the Main Menu and the Scoreboard? Or is the Scoreboard Menu being treated as more of a quick-access panel?

What exactly is happening is still up in the air, but there are plans to change up the main menu or even remove it entirely. Along with a lot of stuff changing how game parts are connected, etc. Nothing specific yet, and there are a lot of major features to focus on at the moment, but the scoreboard seems to be a step toward changing things up.

More discord screenshots:

There was a bit of discussion on the Trello forums about this.

6 Likes

As much as I like the convenience of the main menu, I’m excited at the possibility of this happening. Load times are much more bearable now with PAK, especially when using an SSD and having the game be more connected through worlds rather than menus sounds great for the social aspect of the game.

2 Likes

I’d be happy with the removal of the main menu. TU is a good game-style where you can just drop in and access everything within the game-space. If I had to speculate, the new scoreboard might be quick access to in-game ports / matchmaking instead of Main Menu redundancy / convenience.

Looking forward to what they actually pull off, for sure.

2 Likes