Replay System and Reporting

I can’t find this so I will put this right now:

I’d like to see a replay system come to the game where you could see a replay of the times that are in the book. It would pop up a prompt saying “Watch replay? Yes/No” and if you do, it’ll first download replay data, then load that level and play back the replay on the appropriate level. After it’s done, you’re given the option to go to main menu or replay again (sort of like the game is over) If you decide to pick another replay and it’s the same map, it’ll bring you to that level instead and let you see it after getting replay data. If you pick a different map, it’ll warp you to the map required.

I feel this will help with a lot of scrutiny on possible glitch times as well. In that sense, I also propose a report button, where if a new time enters the top 50 it can be reported via the book and if it gets reported enough it gets reviewed by the developers or the moderators of the game world, and if found to be illegitimate, it gets removed.

Agree with this entirely. Ballrace & Accelerate would benefit a lot from this. Plus it’s just fun to watch your own replay owo

Hi, this is going to partially be me complaining about Ball Race leaderboard moderation, but is also why I think this would help.

I don’t normally like bumping threads, but someone mentioned something like this in the Discord earlier. Now that we’re a few Ball Race ban waves in from when this thread was last active, I think this system would be very nice for validating times in a way that doesn’t require you to join a third-party Discord in order to spare yourself from having your times sent in as being cheated/glitched, or require you to constantly having ShadowPlay, ReLive, OBS Replay Buffer, medal.tv, or other programs running in the background recording your gameplay.

The burden of proof should be on PixelTail or the Ball Race goon squad if they’re going to be taking down times and flagging users. Someone shouldn’t have to worry about their time getting wiped and being marked a cheater just because they got a good time but also happen to have low exp, few hours, or aren’t a name people are familiar with. In a gamemode as cracked out as Ball Race, it seems a bit unfair that you can get banned for something like buffering-esque launches when it’s something that can happen unintentionally because of jank physics and lag. Especially when that same ban would, I assume, apply for every leaderboard in the game. All those people who got banned and then unbanned in March (which includes the two other users in this topic) probably only got unbanned because some people noticed and stood up for them so they’d be unbanned. But let’s say you’re like The Lich or TheKidWithAHat on that thread, and have no way, currently, of knowing that you’re leaderboard banned/flagged as a suspected cheater (which most players don’t). Most of the other bans will show up in the chat window or on the Player Report page, but leaderboard bans are not one of those. So until that gets added (if ever), they’re just sorta in a state of not even knowing they’re a suspected cheater, which could give them time to potentially disregard evidence they may have had to protect themselves.

Someone who is banned from just about everything, including Leaderboard and Server Naming (which don’t show up):

The fact that you can get permanently banned from leaderboards in an early access game which has a bunch of bugs, has platforms that are affected by system performance, has a timer that is questionable, has a separate cheater issue which only got somewhat dealt with in December (and not completely), and you just have to sit there and try to defend yourself against TOP 10 PRO BALLRACE players or else they’ll get Caboose to send you to the shadow realm, is bizarre to me. Like- they may be more capable of spotting fake times than anyone at PixelTail is, but ideally a circlejerk fan club wouldn’t have as much influence on the leaderboards as they do. A replay/demo system seems like a good way for PixelTail to be able to analyze times for themselves, assuming it’s not implemented like bhopping was in LC (poorly). Demos have worked pretty well for CS:GO with their Overwatch and VACnet systems, but even a ghost system like that out of Mario Kart would be better than nothing, assuming platform position/map time, location/orientation, speed, version number, ping and other information that could affect a run are recorded.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

7 Likes

assuming there are likely hackers who can crack down the replay system (because games like ballrace are hosted by the host instead of the official server), should probably set up a server dedicated for those games, and then log those movements server-side. all recent games of best records are available for public verification.

You make a lot of fair point and I honestly agree with you for the most part but I need to clarify some things.

1. A majority of the times removed (not every single time) are multiple seconds ahead of the second place position. This is due a multitude of things with them all being connected the awfully abusable timer. Whether that be from the host not having the greatest internet connection, or the host using bugs to literally freeze it. These times are the ones that are removed I would say 95% of the time. These ones are easily removable due to them being way faster than the current optimal strats and methods. (we have recordings and documentation of the fastest ways known to beat any known level.) So generally it’s easy to remove those times.

For the other 5% of times, if we flagged a time that was in fact legit in some sort of way. Ie when Nat posted here on the forums about the removal his Nimbus 6 time. We chatted with him and then asked caboose to reinstate it. NOTE: WE DON’T HAVE THE POWER OF STRAIGHT UP REMOVING TIMES. We flag a time and then send them to caboose once a week, and he has the power to say no I’m not removing this time, and he has on multiple occasions.

1. The only reason we flag these times is because how the leader boards was before hand. On multiple levels its was impossible to get a top ten time legitimately. Event 14 was at the time impossible to get a top 50. It was really bad, thats entirely the reason why we are flagging these times. We don’t want the leaderboards to become the waste land that it was. A wasteland where no one can tell who is the legitimate first place. So until the devs fix the timer we will continue to flag times until a new timer can fix the issues with the current timer.

For the record I 100% agree with you on the leader board ban part. I just needed to state why the times get removed in the first place.

3 Likes