Just took a look back at the Indiegogo and am pretty disappointed

This is a very fast-paced conversation and I haven’t catched up entirely yet but one thing stood out to me in the initial response.

Isn’t that exactly the problem? Your team is focusing on too many things that were not even planned to begin with, increasing your backlog more and more. At this rate the game won’t leave early access until 2030.

2 Likes

VR changed a lot over the years, as I said. I just recently got an index and have been playing around with VR in Unreal. It’s better to have the game mostly done to add VR to it though, because if you do it midway into the game then you have to keep updating the game while also making sure VR works fine each update which is extremely difficult to manage. A good example is the Arcade.

5 Likes

Yeah, I get that. I just think it would’ve hypothetically been a better situation. Its a shame that it wasn’t feasible.

We change priorities based on community feedback and requests. We do surveys to determine what people want the most right now. We also have changed as developers and found new avenues that suit the game better.

9 Likes

I do NOT think VR should be a priority. While it was sorta neat while it was working, developing for VR is a huge undertaking and the experience would either end up taking way too much time, or feeling horridly shallow. I do not think it should have been in the pitch.

3 Likes

That’s why it’s not a priority right now.

3 Likes

Yeah, you keep saying that every time I bring this up, but I really hasn’t. You seem to think room scale VR is a requirement but, play something like Skyrim VR, Subnautica, I Expect You To Die, Elite: Dangerous, Hellblade VR, Minecraft VR. All great seated gamepad experiences.

Hell, years ago, TU did actually accidentally have VR enabled and a few people posted about it on the forums and said it played surprising well. Since TU already has partial controller support, you’d only need to finish the controller support and redesign the UI.

… Yeah, I know, I honestly don’t even think it should be implemented, since VR games are just so different as a whole, especially good ones, that I don’t think it would mesh well with Tower Unite and its gameplay.

3 Likes

Never said it had to be the number one priority. Just to even know that it’s happening would be good enough for me. It can wait until after Early Access even.

At yet, there’s been many successful ports of flatscreen games and single developers making fantastic VR games (looking at you Phasmo).

Adding VR is still a very technical task to do in multiplayer games and reaching frame rates with high resolutions. VR controller support is VERY different from controller support. And we don’t have full controller support yet.

The VR mode by default is just camera only without head tracking support. If we’re going to do VR, it should be compatible with VR controllers, not just an xbox controller.

8 Likes

Not really. Motion controls wouldn’t really add anything to the game. The added immersion of the VR view definitely would though. Every game I mentioned in my last post is fully playable with an Xbox controller (and some, like Elite, don’t even support motion controls)

Swords of Gurrah and Phasmophobia. Both multiplayer games made by a single developer. Just saying. I realize this is a much larger scale game but still. If a single developer is capable of making a multiplayer VR game, why aren’t you guys?

Why on earth are we talking about virtual reality. I don’t give a shit about virtual reality in this context. I could bet almost nobody playing TU right now cares if it has VR. This has gotten off track… I just want the order of development to have less features that aren’t important right now, that’s all.

3 Likes

If you’re adding VR, it’s integral to most players that motion controls are at least in Condo and Plaza, making it a VRchat-esque experience.

Phasmophobia was built from the ground up as a VR crossplatform game and has a much more limited scope compared to Tower Unite. Phasmophobia is more comparable to a Game World in Tower Unite.
Games with UGC (User Generated Content) are the hardest to optimise because of the game’s modularity.
VRChat is also not a good comparison in the regard due to the UGC being all SDK handled.

6 Likes

Sure, maybe there’s not a lot but there have been posts both on here and Steam discussions requesting it. I’m not the only one.

i much rather see it when it’s out of early access first, implementing VR seems to be way too early and as mac has stated, it’s a big tasks and the market has changed over the years

7 Likes

I mean, I did say that already.

This may be true, but despite all the transparency that your devlogs give to us, it is not entirely clear what exactly is planned for the future, what has been scrapped, and what was never planned to begin with. This thread was created because of that uncertainty, the ever-growing feeling that we aren’t getting the features that we backed the game for to begin with.

Changing your priorities is fine. If you say that VR is too time-consuming for now, so be it. But there never was a real follow-up to all the promises and goals that you put out there in order to get the funding to be able to start this project to begin with. I don’t think anyone expects you to be a psychic and look years into the future but it wouldn’t have hurt to give your users an update on everything that initially WAS planned.

6 Likes

Well said.