Projection Mapping (Proof of Concept)

(I apologize in advance for the long post, I felt like it might be cool to document my progress with this)

For a while now I’ve been trying to do some basic projection mapping on the side of my condo, It still needs some work, but I thought i’d share my progress so far!
This post will be updated as I make more Progress!

#First “Proof of Concept” tests:
I needed somewhere small to start, so this is what I initially used as a test, to see if it even looked good.

As you can tell, it’s pretty barebones.

#Initial “Prototype”
This was the first real attempt to get proper projection mapping to work, it was roughly made and with little to no thought put into the actual scaling of the video and projector FOV settings.

You can see how I mapped each little section out into “Zones” (as I like to refer to them as), Obviously the scaling is way off, but it’s a step in the right direction.

#Prototype 2: Different colors, Better Mask, No scale/FOV Changes.
Unfortunately, I didn’t seem to take any screenshots of this version, and as of writing this, I’ve already “re-calibrated” the projector to work with my “Prototype 3” Mask. It wasn’t really any sort of improvement, save for more “Defined” zones.

(the mask for P-2)

#Prototype 3: First real success!
for this Prototype I completely scrapped my old mask, in favor of making a new one that had more definition.

(Rough “Blank” Mask for mapping video and animation)

(Colored Version that’ll eventually be projected as a test, Black spots are areas that aren’t being projected onto)

(First “Real” Progress in terms of getting the mapping to work, still a bit rough, but it’s all easy going from here (hopefully!)

#Prototype 4: The Final Prototype!
This is the final prototype projection map, and it mostly fixed the issues I had before, such as lining up certain zones.

Prototype V-4, Cleaned up, Maps better, “final prototype”

Due to a little hiccup, I neglected to take height into account, the result was a promising sign, but an unusable video…

However, I was able to get it working by today, which leads me to this,

The Final prototype video, Hopefully the last static video I use, From here on I’ll hopefully be moving into doing actual animations that’ll map to the condo!

#Prototype 7: Final Template#
Sorry for the bump, but this adds to my original post
Literally the same idea as 4, but actually works in HD, Versions 5 and 6 were the same as 4, but uploaded as HD, which oddly didn’t work.

Basically the very last template version. From here on, I can finally move onto actual test videos!

(it also helps that I don’t have to wait forever to see if the video actually works, I could have probably done this entire project in the course of an afternoon if I didn’t have to wait so long for the projections to work)

#FullTest-1#
More or less the first version that was made from a finalized template and didn’t require actual work to get working correctly.

More or less a collection of images/colors mapped to each segment, to illustrate the potential possibilities even further. I also decided to change most of the condo’s exterior so the videos show up better.

#Holiday Projects#
So now that I have an actual working system, I can start actually designing stuff for Holidays like Halloween and Christmas, Which led me to this:

This’ll be the base I use for both projects, Halloween will take on a more shuttered look, while Christmas will have more holiday stuff (Lights, Wreathes, Snow, etc)

Hopefully at least a few of you found this interesting, More will be added eventually, once I get a few new videos made for it!

20 Likes

I dont see any point of this, i mean the guests needs to turn the projector on and i guess its far away in the sky.

It’s on a light post next to the pool, so it’s fairly accessible if you have a jetpack.

1 Like

I never really designed this with any specific point, I just thought it was a neat thing to try out, It certainly could have some practical use if projectors are ever given the ability to “auto Play”. As I’ve been doing more work with it, I thought it might be a neat thing to add to my condo, mainly for when parties are added in, To elaborate on this, for instance, during the holiday season, I could queue a long video that periodically transitions into a holiday themed animation, It’s hard to see any real point at the moment, Mainly because there really isn’t one yet.

2 Likes

I’m going to make it A LOT easier too, Once I can afford another set of stairs that is. I’m hoping that the whole process will be easier in the future.

YEEEES!!!

I always dreamt of someone doing this!! :smiley:

You can create videos with dropping balls or you can do some illusions with that!!!

4 Likes

Little update, Prototype mask 3 is now working with the media players, This is the first “real” success that i’ve had, I still need to refine things, such as the stairs, and getting the proper alignment on the little roof bits, but this is a huge success in terms of getting the project to work. Next Step is getting some actual animations set up!

2 Likes

I would love to come see this in your condo. Is it open??

3 Likes

Not ATM, I’m going to see if I can get on in a few

*whispers *
…bouncing balls

*fades away *

2 Likes

Oh I have things in mind, that might make it into a “test reel”

1 Like

With the success of V3, I’ve decided to redraw my newest mask, to hopefully map the different zones better, not sure if this’ll be a “final” version, but if it’s a success I’ll be able to do more accurate mapping!

(Doesn’t look that different, but the perspective is slightly different)

1 Like

Little update, the V4 Mask maps alot better, but the height is screwed up so I’ll have to fix that. this should Hopefully be the last prototype!

3 Likes

i still wanna see this XD

2 Likes

I’ll hopefully have time to open my condo soon, The new video will take a few days to get working with the projector, however once it does I’ll open the condo up. If V4 is a success i’ll be able to start getting to the real projection mapping stuff!

3 Likes

And Prototype 4 is a success!

I’ll be moving on to actual animations soon hopefully, The eventual goal is to use this with parties and other events that I hold in my condo!

2 Likes

Whipped together a really short “test video”, and so far it’s looking promising, I still need to standardize certain aspects of the map, so I wont have to re calibrate the vertical shift of the projector each time,

Once I have a chance to fix some issues, I’ll expand this and record the in game result!

Hopefully I should be able to make a basic “template” for future use

1 Like

I’ve started work on initial animations, @AshGe will be pleased to hear it contains bouncing balls, and also tetrominos!

Probably going to be a longer animation with a few different effects that compliments the occlusions of each segment, should look pretty awesome when its done.

2 Likes

This is really neat!

This is an amazing idea, if only there was a way to have the projector on by default so this can be seen by people immediately walking outside and being blown away.

1 Like