What is Off Topic? (Likes-PSA Aftermath)

Disclaimer: I’m not trying to get this thread reopened. The PSA is in the OP, the details are in the discussion for everyone to comprehend who is willing to read a little more. (Spoiler: Everything after the 13 day break is off-topic.) @Omnipotent signalized he’d prefer not to annoy the public with the topics we’ve moved onto now anymore and the public obviously is already annoyed.

The big question for me is: What is Off Topic? Is it a place to abandon rules (Scroll to about the middle of the post) and get away with it? No, it’s just off-topic, a place to post anything not related to anything, you still have to consider there’s a human being on the other end. So is it a place to just spam into etablished topics? I can’t see why that would be much worse than steering off-topic in a discussion. But apparently that’s also not what Off Topic is for since the thread was closed for going off-topic.

Why didn’t you flag the offending posts?

Because I’m still not sure what Off Topic exactly is. But apparently people afraid of big texts don’t know how to use the forum either so I got that going for me.

1 Like

For the record, the thread was absolutely not closed for going off-topic. It was closed because it became horrible.

7 Likes

In what sense?

1800 word long walls of text that no one wanted to read anymore

1 Like

You is not no one. @Omnipotent and me had a conversation that you joined to say you had no interest in joining it.

1 Like

There is a magical thing called Private Messages. You should use it for one on one conversations.

3 Likes

So we have to PM each other when discussing topics started publicly that everyone can have his own opinion about and join in to give his own perspective? Because if we don’t that’s spamming your feed that you can control yourself?

Just message Omnipotent and argue there. It’s not rocket science.

1 Like

I’ve done so already, that doesn’t answer the question in the title. Is Off Topic one topic at a time, is it talk whatever you want where you want, is it officially memes, spam and “It’s guidelines, not rules”?

I would say that there are established topics, and things should try to stay relevant, but it wouldn’t exactly feel right if I were to flag a post about being off-topic in off-topic. Now just because I say that doesn’t mean I think anything should go, it’s just that it poses the question of where the post in question should go.

Also I find the amount of people that are complaining about the conversation to be absurd. You’re not participating, you don’t have to read it all, and if you’re not interested, then you get to ignore it. Usually forums are places for discussion, and sometimes discussions get kinda sorta long.

close this this is going off topic

We have the right to close off topic posts if we feel they are against our community guidelines.

3 Likes