What do I need to upgrade to have a better experience?

So, before I ask, please don’t judge me to harsh.
While I have been using computers for a few years, I still don’t know a lot about the inside of a computer and how it works.
So, my question is, if I want be able to play Tower Unite with higher settings and not lag at the same time, what do I need to upgrade on my computer? My graphics card, my processor, or both?
I’m sorry for my lack of computer knowledge.

Edition: Windows 10 Home
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed Ram: 8.00 GB (7.80 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

(Tell me if you need more information.)

2 Likes

Well, you gotta tell us your PC specs otherwise we can’t really help you here.
You can get Piriform Speccy and post a screenshot of the stats it shows you. (Speccy is a program that shows your PC specs.)

I edited it.
Tell me if you need anything else listed.

Graphics card is missing. Or do you only have the Intel integrated one?

Graphics Card would be useful to know too.
But one thing I can tell you about the CPU, which is that it’s very outdated. First generation i3 sounds quite weak.

After looking around, I found this:
Card name: Intel® HD Graphics
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel® HD Graphics (Core i3)

Is this it?

Well, to be completely honest… everything.

That CPU is really old in “terms of technology” and i3s were never the best. It would be better to upgrade it with an i5 or, if you can afford it, an i7.
Intel Graphics are the “worst” GPUs on the market, they’re integrated with their processors and are usually found on notebooks, especially ultrabooks. It would be better to buy an AMD or a NVIDIA. (NVIDIAs usually cost more than AMDs)

RAM is fine, 8 GB should suffice. (also depends on its speed)

At this point I’d suggest you to build a new PC or, if you can’t or don’t know how to do it/don’t want to, buy a pre-assembled one.

1 Like

i5 is more than enough for games. Paying that additional 100 for an i7 is only beneficial if you’re running other processor heavy applications.

Actually, these days they’re included on every CPU, except the high end enthusiast ones, the extreme edition or whatever they call it.

That’s true and untrue at the same time, depends to whom you’re speaking! Let’s say that an i5 is great for gaming but an i7 can perform better on some games.

I didn’t know that, probably because I’m always looking/dreaming at the “high end enthusiast ones”… :sweat_smile:

But yeah, in any case it’s better to have a dedicated GPU and switch on that one when gaming.

But is it worth that extra you’re paying?

I have an i5 4460 and all the games I play run completely fine, I am still very far from the stage where I’d need an i7.
Honestly just get an i5 from the 4th or 6th generation, that one is enough to make your games run seamlessly.

In the long run? Probably.
I have an Hexa-Core and usually games work only on one core, which means my CPU is not working at its fullest potential.
Some other games, like games using the Frostbite Engine, use all of my cores which means that my CPU is going to outperform an i5 quad-core.

With DirectX 12 and Vulkan, the aim is to take more and more load off the CPU.

And that’s a good thing but I’m sure that a game using 6 cores instead of 4 is going to perform better.

But we digress, I don’t think this is helping MaskedKatz. :stuck_out_tongue:

It does most likely does, given it supports them, but that 100 could be spent on a better graphics card for better performance - ‘‘insert your currency here’’ ration.

I’d look for an Intel Core i5 4th generation and a GeForce GTX 760 for an affordable setup that can take most games.
You can also look for an i7 5th/6th generation and a GTX 970 if you don’t have much of a budget limit and can get a powerful machine.

Don’t! D:

The new GTX 1070 is going to cost around the same and it’s going to be much much much better.

I’m already crying because I bought my 980Ti some months ago and now the new 1080 is coming out…

1 Like

well that’s the thing, it’s yet to be released and we don’t know how exactly it will perform, all we have is some statistics that prove that it should be better.

I’m pretty sure it’s going to outperform at least the 970 and for that price you get a GPU that should be better and consumes less power.

I bought my 980 a month before the Ti came out, but I’m not even mad anymore :smiley:

They have demonstrated the 1070 performing better than Titan X.
The manufacturing process must be really cheap, considering the reference 1070 will cost $375 in the US.

Reference model 1080 takes 180W from a single 8-pin connector. Which is insane!