Weekly Dev Log for July 1st, 2019

Weekly Dev Log for July 1st, 2019

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Weekly Dev Log for July 1st, 2019, detailing all the changes that have happened since June 24th, 2019. Note: Devs that don’t appear in the weekly log are not necessarily away or not doing work, but may be working on things currently not announced or backend work that doesn’t need to be detailed.

2019 Survey

We just posted a new survey asking some helpful questions to get input from the community.

Summer Update

Work has continued on the Summer Update, which we plan on releasing sometime this week. @macdguy worked this week on the Chainsaw Deathmatch and Booze Bash minigames, while @joshua has been working on over 40 new pool tubes.

Summer Update: Pool Tube Teaser WIP

Summer Update: Chainsaw Deathmatch Gibbing WIP

A new minigame Chainsaw Death match was made for the Summer update. Gore is toggable in settings.

Summer Update: Chainsaw Deathmatch Acid Pit WIP

Summer Update: Chainsaw Deathmatch Arena FX WIP

Arcade Progress

@wheezwer and @Johanna continued working on the Arcade Machine art. Work was completed on the Candy Slam, Ring God, Little Birde Feeders, and Stack 'em machines. Work started on the Tornado and Lonely Gun 30XX machine art.

@macdguy continued working on the 2D Arcade game base, which will allow us to quickly create 2D arcade games with multiplayer support. This new Arcade game base allows for rendering workshop player models in 2D as well. You can read more about that here: [56K Modem Warning] Tower Unite Discord Development Sneak Peek - #6220 by macdguy

@Madmijk continued working on the Stack 'em machine code.

Final Little Birde Feeders Cabinet Artwork

Final Candy Slam Cabinet Artwork

Final Ring God Cabinet Artwork

Lonely Gun 30XX Cabinet Artwork WIP

Tornado Cabinet Model WIP

Stack 'em Cabinets WIP

Updated Upstairs Arcade Room WIP

Arcade 2D Gamebase Demo WIP

Arcade 2D Gamebase w/ Networking WIP

Arcade Item: Drone WIP

Minigolf: Altitude Remake

@Lifeless continued working on the Altitude minigolf map remake.

Minigolf: Altitude Remake Overview WIP

Ball Race: Woodlands

@Johanna worked on adding 3 more new levels to Woodlands, which weren’t in the original GMod Tower version.

Ball Race: Woodlands New Levels WIP

Code Optimizations

@Sketch continued looking into the memory leaks and optimizations relating to Workshop.

Wrap It Up

That about covers everything that happened since June 24th, 2019 at PixelTail Games. See you all next week!

36 Likes

arcade looks really frickin good, that pixel effect is amazing

13 Likes

Ludicrous Gibs!

2 Likes

Would the chainsaw minigame have issues with custom playermodels?

Also, epic gore!

4 Likes

Shoot that Altitude remake looks great @Lifeless! Will the blue area below be dotted with clouds or is that meant to be a sea? I just always pictured the remake being reaaaaaaaaaaly high up lol.

1 Like

God the arcade looks so spicy!

2 Likes

I want to see how whacky those animations look in 3D behind the scenes!

It all looks so good! I’m not even crazy about minigolf but Alpine looks awesome.

1 Like

Wow, that is such a cool idea! Can’t wait!

1 Like

Maybe. Looks like it works as TF2 does, where the cut off parts are scaled way down, so it should be alright. You can see how the legs fall limp here, that means the torso and everything above there are probably shrunk incredibly tiny. As long as workshop models can do that partial scaling it would be fine.

The chainsaw battle returns! How will playermodels with odd sizes or misleading hitboxes be balanced for it? I’d hate to see the chainsaw meta be dominated by tiny models.

3 Likes

Nice

10 Likes

19 Likes

That’s a lot of tubes!

1 Like

This looks really good! For the dueling arena, how will the player models work? Will it be custom player models or will it be set to default models? Personally, I would like to see a custom model made just for dueling that looks like the “tron guy” but having custom colors for the neon lighting (except black) so that players cannot change their default model color to blend in with the lighting and arena. Examples could be changing all colors to black in a dark map, changing all color to green in a grassland, or changing all colors to yellow in a desert level. Then again, that’s just my personal opinion and I can see people wanting a degree of customization.

I assume all workshop arcade games support networking not just the gamebase ones right?

Back when we were voting on the Community Stretch Goal for the Indiegogo, people were so torn on what to choose because all of the items seemed so cool. Tower Unite has grown so much, that now it seems at one point or another we might get all community picks.

I didn’t expect to see Woodlands receive new levels. It makes sense though. Love how it integrates with the scenery. Looks great, can’t wait to play it! Does the bridge move?

This is all looking excellent! I’m especially intrigued with the 3D to 2D rendering technique. That’s some really crafty stuff!

Amazing stuff.
Looking forward to the 2D API and workshop games.
Networked multiplayer would be pretty amazing really.
Likely games that don’t require player interaction might work out best to avoid latency issues etc.
Card games, RPG battles, outrun like games where player encounters are more limited etc.
Pretty excited to see how far it can go.

Will the drone have the same controls / flight speed as the RC Helicopter? I want to try building a drone racing course and don’t know whether I should base it off the RC Helicopter or wait until the actual drone is completely developed.