[56K Modem Warning] Tower Unite Discord Development Sneak Peek

I’m gonna explain some of these pictures just because.

We decided to make a system for 2D/3D games that we personally design (different from the 2D API that is for Workshop games) that allows us to render 3D assets on to the screens. This is particularly useful because we can do 3D games, replication, lighting, particles, characters, and use the weapon system.

Going further on this idea, I setup a little test tile map and rendered it out to the screen. The next logical step was to try rendering 3D objects and pass them through a filter.

By doing this we can allow player models from Workshop enter as sprites and use our animations just like they would in 3D. This opens a lot of possibilities.

So in the first screen shot you can see the pixelated version of the models. Being rendered at 128x128 resolution with a nearest neighbor filter and color limits.

And the second screenshot is how it would look in 3D.

This of course renders for other players as well, so you can watch other players play the game and also allows for multiplayer support.

Should also mention I’ve setup the system to handle putting players into these arcade games and all that. We can create multiple instances by using level streaming. It’s very similar to how minigames work currently, only rendered to an arcade cabinet.

35 Likes