Weekly Dev Log for August 3rd, 2020

Weekly Dev Log for August 3rd, 2020

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Weekly Dev Log for August 3rd, 2020, detailing all the changes that have happened since July 27th, 2020. Note: Devs that don’t appear in the weekly log are not necessarily away or not doing work, but may be working on things currently not announced or backend work that doesn’t need to be detailed.

August 2020 Condo Contest

We’re conducting another condo contest for August 2020! Our theme for this contest is Outdoor Hangout. The first prize winner will receive 1,000,000 units! Interested? Check out our forum thread for more details! Contest closes August 14th.

Update 0.10.3.0

Work continues on getting Update 0.10.3.0 ready for release, we’re hoping to release it sometime this week. As mentioned last week, this update will contain the new map “Sunrise Isles” for Accelerate, Accelerate leaving Alpha state with Leaderboards and Achievements, Server Travel, updates to the Plaza, along with many other fixes and changes. You can read about everything slated for this update here.

Accelerate Progress

@Johanna continued working on fixes for issues found on Sunrise Isles during internal testing.

@macdguy worked on the minimap and track nodes for Sunrise Isles. He also worked on new features for Accelerate’s workshop support, adding an ATV vehicle type (bike pose with 4 wheels), a Skateboard type, various offsets, new hover mode that works with bikes, and different wheel sizes.

@Sketchman worked on icons for the Accelerate achievements.

@Will is very close to completing the music for Sunrise Isles.

Accelerate: Skateboard Workshop Vehicle Type WIP

Accelerate: Workshop Vehicle Adjustable Wheel Sizes WIP

Accelerate: Achievement Icons WIP

Plaza Update

@Johanna finished most of her changes for Lobby 3: Phase 2. This phase includes the improved game world ports, an art pass for pool slides, an art pass for the jungle side of the plaza, an art pass for the DIY Store and Upgrades store, and new art for the improved game world ports.

@Wheezwer worked on the lighthouse redesign for Lobby 3: Phase 3, as well as the mural for the Minigolf Upgrades store port.

Lighthouse Redesign Concept Art WIP

Minigolf Upgrades Store Background WIP

Plaza Jungle Area Art Pass WIP

Condo Item Snapping

@Madmijk started working on adding item snapping support to various items, such as the building panels and canvases.

Condo Item Snapping Early Test Demo WIP

Server Travel

@macdguy finished functionality for the Server Travel feature, which will allow players to vote on a new map at the end of a game world, without having to start a new game!

Server Travel Vote UI WIP

Miscellany

@Caboose700 added Accelerate achievements to the Steam Backend, helped test the new update, processed the macro reports backlog, and continued working on the OpenTDB rewrite.

@joshua continued working on the playermodel for one of the Arcade NPCs.

@macdguy worked a bit on the Mutators feature and improved Virus and Zombie Massacre zombie run animations.

@Sketchman continued working on player grouping.

Wrap It Up

That about covers everything that happened since July 27th, 2020 at PixelTail Games. See you all next week!

Join our Discord for development updates and community fun!
https://discord.gg/pixeltail
We love awesome people like you!

We’re also active on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/PixelTailGames

Follow our developments on our Trello in near real-time:
https://trello.com/b/6BwRMiPw/tower-unite-roadmap

Take a peek at what’s being worked on every week in our weekly dev logs! There’s bound to be something interesting every week!
http://forums.pixeltailgames.com/c/devupdates/weekly-dev-logs

Please report bugs & submit suggestions on our forums. We’re active everyday & here to help.
For bug reports: https://forums.pixeltailgames.com/c/bug-report/18
For suggestions: https://forums.pixeltailgames.com/c/suggestions/7

kofisupport

PatreonSupport1

Redbubble

<3 PixelTail Games

30 Likes

Something I didn’t know I needed.

Also the Lighthouse Redesign is nice, definitely better than an empty room.

5 Likes

holy shit the lighthouse redesign! I doubt I inspired it but I’m so glad it’s being worked on

the new plaza looks so good, I can’t even put my excitement into words

you guys all did a fantastic job, glad to be a part of the community :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Definitely excited that the server travel feature is coming in the next update along with Accelerate’s new features, it will definitely come in handy!

5 Likes

I really like the new condo item snapping! That will be very helpful in the future! Especially with the advanced canvas builds I always see.

6 Likes

New art pass on all the water and jungle areas looks great

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

3 Likes

That snapping feature is going to be SO useful oh my god.

And the lighthouse redesign and jungle pass look awesome, I’m honestly hype to take some friend group screenshots at them when they’re done!

2 Likes

I cannot stress enough about how much I love how Phase 2 looks, I am never gonna miss Phase 1.

SERIOUSLY THOUGH IT LOOKS SO BEAUTIFUL THE PLAZA JUST LOOKS PRETTY AND THE POOL LOOKS SO CUTE WITH THE WATER AND JUST ERMYGAWD

6 Likes

I seriously LOVE the art direction this game is going. From semi realistic to full on stylized it’s sooo good. That new jungle area looks a million times better.

8 Likes

The slow change from the realistic models and materials the game has been going with since alpha to the more cartoony style leaves me a bit scared. Is the game going all in on the cartoon style? will it be left as a confusing mix or go back to what it once was?

2 Likes

I think as the game continues development they’ll keep making art passes to get everything on the same level stylistically. Iirc the game still uses some Unreal asset materials which I’m sure will get replaced with custom in-house content eventually, that’s probably where the cartoonish vs. realism disparity mostly comes from.

3 Likes

Plaza’s lookin pretty as :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

We don’t use any Unreal asset materials or stock materials.

When we started Tower Unite, we were new to the Unreal 4 engine and didn’t yet decide on an exact art style at the time. It ended up with realistic assets at first.

As we moved forward, we decided and began honing in on an art style that fits the mood that we want to set in the game, which the phase 2 of Plaza is a step towards that. Cartoon style is not what we’d call it, though.

8 Likes

I’d call it Theme-park or Matte style.

You know how every theme park has those painted rocks and other environmental set pieces that look both fake and real at the same time? Yeah that.

3 Likes

Ah I’m sorry my mistake, I honestly thought I’d seen the grass/tree/etc textures in one of the stock asset packs but it just looked similar.

I really like the art direction it’s gone in lately, it’s gotten more unique and identifiable.

3 Likes

I’m so glad there’s a more consistent artstyle throughout Tower Unite. It always felt like a bit of a weird mix of things, between more “professional realistic looking” stuff and more “cartoon-ish/TF2” style. I just hope we can get some new default human models now!

5 Likes

Is that just for textures? Because I thought the ghost model used for the ghost pet is from Unreal 4? Correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m pretty sure that’s one they made themselves

Aww, man. I kinda really liked the phase 1’s color palette and the realistically(-ish) urbanistic feeling it gives me. Jungle version looks… too cartoon-ish compared to that, I believe? with really bright grass and these jungle-ish thingies replacing urbanistic style

Well, I am all up for what majority will like anyway. If that’s these new looks then it’s also nice

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.