Update 0.1.1.7 - The Big Optimization One

Well, we introduced quite a few LODs in the last update, so I guess you didn’t notice them.

Oh didn’t play in the lobby yet. And I hope that you activated differed lod transitions as it doesn’t really have an impact on performance.
Anyway thank you for all your efforts in optimising the game and I’m looking forward to level streaming aswell.

Does this mean the game will be more forgiving on my computer hardware now?

My computer (GPU) will heat up (hotpockets) since it’s at 90% usage/utilization, even in the menus.

Intel i7-4790k 4.0 Ghz Quad-Core
GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
850 watt EVGA PSU Gold Certified
No overclocking
I run the game on the lowest settings

I don’t see a problem with a 90% utilisation. That’s actually a good sign and implies that your GPU is not bottlenecked by your CPU. You could try activating V-Sync to reduce your GPU usage, because it limits your maximum framerate.

My 1070 utilisation is set to 99% usually when playing TU. It’s without a doubt the only game I got that puts so much stress on it.

1 Like

I have a GTX 970 with an Intel i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz and i’m running at max settings 1920x1080. I’ve had my GPU hit a max temp of 70C. Keep in mind that the fans on a 970 don’t kick in until the temp hits 60C.

What about games like Tomb Raider, MGSV, Battlefield 4 etc?

Got none of those that you mentioned.

The reason I mention this is hardly any other games will heat up my GPU like this. I think 90% utilization is bad when I’m in a menu or an area where there’s not many objects, etc. Also lowering the graphics doesn’t decrease the percent or make it run faster (more FPS), so what’s the point?

I’ve had the intense heating in Unreal Tournament 4 as well, even on small and untextured maps. So I think the problem is the Unreal 4 Engine not properly optimized for computer hardware. If I plan to play this game a lot, I would like it to be less of a load on my hardware so it will last longer.

UE4 is optimised to use as much of your hardware as possible. It is reeeeally well optimised and scales really well as well. Try underclocking your GPU by 50 % and look at how your framerate is. UE4 does a great job at adjusting, because it only loads textures when it has enough processing power left. That’s why it runs pretty good even with something like a GTX 670.

The game will just keep trying to get the highest fps possible even if your monitor can only display so many Hertz. The devs would need to implement the option to enter an fps cap so your cpu and gpu make less noise, output less heat and don’t slow down other processes.

1 Like

Correct. A high GPU utilisation indicates a good optimised game engine. If UE4 was limited by your CPU then it indicates bad optimisation (for example Gmod).

but what if i’m looking for someone? if the draw distance in reduced how will a find them? WAIT THIS GIVES ME A SUGGESTION IDEA!!! GANNA ADD THE LINK SOON! Link: Steam Friends Highlighted

You just walk around.

1 Like

cool

Did you take a look at http://www.instalod.io/ ?
They might be a good choice because they fully support HLOD in UE4. Your current LOD meshes have way too noticeable popping. Their solution might be worth a try.

[ul][li]“Reduce draw calls” has been checked off on the “Changes” checklist.[/li][li]“Add lots of LODs” has been checked off on the “Changes” checklist.[/li][li]“https://trello.com/c/X78hlJ6w/194-minigolf-fix-host-fps-issue-where-the-ball-cannot-be-putted-sometimes” has been checked off on the “Changes” checklist.[/li][/ul]

4 Likes

:smiley: 30 fps. Here i come

[quote=“bot, post:38, topic:12225, full:true”][li]“https://trello.com/c/X78hlJ6w/194-minigolf-fix-host-fps-issue-where-the-ball-cannot-be-putted-sometimes” has been checked off on the “Changes” checklist.[/li]
[/quote]
Nice!

1 Like

woo