Trading/The necessity for a steam inventory

I guess this is more of a complaint than a suggestion, but, after hearing rumors that the general consensus for adding inter-player trading is negative, why exactly do we need to have items pop up in steam inventory? Personally, it’s a little annoying to recieve a notification on Steam every single time I get a new Halloween item. I dunno if that’s just an event item thing or what, but I dunno.

If the devs are still on the fence about trading because of the shadiness of potential third party sites and whatnot, I’d like to suggest just making items tradable between players and ignoring the Marketplace all together. I doubt a big shady third party system would come in place for a game that won’t give a profit to said third party.

Yeah, I too feel like basing the inventory on Steam isn’t great. I don’t know how complicated/costly it’d be for Pixeltail to host the inventory themselves, but I imagine it’d at least alleviate the issues of items/units taking forever to actually process.

1 Like

Switching out of Steam inventory is not cost effective for us. Plus, Steam inventory gives us lots of behind the scene features (even if trading is never used).

Our inventory isn’t going to be changed off Steam inventory at this stage of development.

We have yet to announce our plans for trading (so we have yet to say no to trading, as well).

You get notifications from the Halloween event because that’s how Steam inventory notifies you of item changes.

Units are different from the Inventory. The Halloween event items taking awhile to display is something we’re working on improving for future events.

3 Likes

One thing to remember as well is that Steam inventory has been a tried and true service for other games, so there’s less risk for exploits and security faults. It also means Pixeltail doesn’t have to spend time developing their own inventory service and having to use more space on their servers to account for it.

3 Likes

While this is true I feel like Tower Unite’s implementation is a rather unique situation as far as games that use Steam Inventory go. It’s interesting to see how well it’ll work but I don’t know if it’s the ideal situation. It does make me question how Community Condo items will be handled and other potential issues. As far as I can tell the Steam Inventory hasn’t been used for this kind of inventory before and we’ve already seen issues come up with item quanities in inventories, slow to acquire items and game item notification spam. I just hope it scales well with the game and doesn’t hold back features like Community Condos and such.

3 Likes