The player items hotbar needs a rework

There are some frustrating things about using items that you put in the weapons hot bar

1. There’s only 8 slots. TU continuously adds more fun items to mess around with, but I’m constantly having to find balance between the fun stuff and things like the condo tools. There’s not enough space for it all. As time goes on and you continue to add more, this will only become more frustrating. I know that making a new bar for purely passive equipment slots was meant to mitigate this, but it’s really not enough.

2. You have to open a menu to see what’s there. Good FPS player will generally remember what hotkeys they have to press to quickly switch weapons, but in this case, what you have equipped can be in any spot based on your whims. Traditionally, FPSes let you see the ordering of your arsenal of weapons as your browsing through them. Even VIRUS mode, within the same game, has this. Maybe using stackable columns in this fashion could give us more slots at once.

3. There’s no feeback for switching items. I understand that towers is still in early access, but I feel like there needs to be some sort of feedback when a player is switching their items. As of right now, all we see change are the items in our hands. At the very least, I think that the hotbar need to briefly display when switching weapons, and show some feedback that it’s happening. For example, Minecraft also has a self-assignable hotbar, but has a border that circles the item in hand in real time.

itembar
Heres a super rough mockup. In this picture, hypothetically I’ve pressed 5 twice and I now have the second item in that column in hand, with the gold border showing this. I could put all my condo tools in a single column and keep pressing 8 to switch through them in order

some recommended this which i think would be good, for the condo tools, put them all into 1 items, then have a circular menu that pops up when you hold Q where you can change the item
done badly but like this

3 Likes

it’s also just still broken
so you can’t even fill every one of the 8 slots anyway

10 slots (1-9 plus 0) and I will die happy.

2 Likes

I just want a pop up inventory for easier browsing. Holding Q is fine for swapping weapons but for sorting through and finding specific items, it becomes tiresome.

I think Mac said on a Stream that he’s aware the entire inventory system needs a rework and he wants to tackle it at some point. I hope sooner than later. At least we have separate bars for accessories and weapons slots now, that was a very welcome addition.

Not only the weapon hotbar, but the actually furniture inventory needs some love. Even just a simple alphabetical order option would make finding certain items so much easier for me.

Agreed with this post a lot, another recommendation, which is just really a personally issue of mine, maybe call it OCD but I wish the server would save and take note of my inventory layout. I like to organize my inventory to have potions for example on row 3, items on 1 and 2. But every time I log back into TU the next day it gets reset and my items are all mixed up again. A tiny feature that would go a long way for me.

1 Like

I plan on redoing the inventory UI.

I also want to add feedback when you switch weapons.

7 Likes

this… I like this

I agree 100%

2 Likes