Ration of chinese ppl

ahhhh gmt, a lovely place to come chill with friends, family, where u can gamble, play gamemodes or just watch tv in the condos. But there’s one issue with that lovely server right now and it seems to be getting worse as days go by. CHINESE PEOPLE! WHY ARE THEY HERE? THIS IS A CANADIAN SERVER! Us (veterans, donors, non donors) have been playing this server for a long time with minimal to no issue whatsoever. but its come to my attention that “Yogscast” has attracted unwanted attention… Like its not a racial intolerance towards anyone but seriously, i havent been able to sit down physically on the server without a 200000 minute delay on command inputs… Great, its one thing that it is a public server and yes we dont justify against other races, blah blah blah. but this is pure bullshit why we have a server with 90+ yes 90+ PEOPLE at once… ’

also gamemodes are now broken too… Maybe a implementation if you have over 500 or 700+ ping, after said time itll kick you off the server. we dont use VPN’s and flood their servers, so why is it okay for them to do it to us. Ridiculous.

3 Likes

I like the “if you have over 500 or said so ping, then it kicks you”, & yeah it’s kinda bs that they using VPN’s to join the server & lag it up with their 900 ping… So many shit has broken in these past days, it’s getting ridiculous!
They all came from a Chinese youtuber though. He made a video a couple weeks back about GMod Tower & I guess it drawled in that attention. Can’t remember the name of the video or the youtuber itself, but the video had alot of views…

3 Likes

yea EXACTLY, i just said yogscast bc i dont fuckin know the name of the streamer nor do i care.

1 Like

Agreed. There has to be something done about the vpn and something about checking since it messes with our servers.

1 Like

that is if, their next break is before gmt shuts down permanently… then what? they will have to buy TU! im kinda happy that TU isnt gonna be F2P.

2 Likes

Add high ping server auto kick in the GMT servers? VOTE!

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Thanks to Nik on Facepunch for this code. (Don’t have to use this one BTW)

[code]local MinPingLimit=150 // Minimum limit
local PingKickAfter = 20 //seconds
local Warning = {}

local PingLimit = MinPingLimit

timer.Create(“Average-Ping”,10,0,function()
local Ping = 0
local N = 0
for _,pl in pairs(player.GetAll()) do
N = N+1
Ping = Ping + pl:Ping()
end
if N<2 then //No people or just 1 person on the server.
PingLimit = MinPingLimit
else
PingLimit = math.max(MinPingLimit, math.floor(Ping/N))
end
end)

timer.Create(“HighPingKicker”,5,0,function()
for _,pl in pairs(player.GetAll()) do
if pl:Ping()>PingLimit*1.2 then //We don’t want a few diggits over limit to tricker a kick. 20% should do it.
if Warning[pl:SteamID( )]==nil then
pl:PrintMessage( HUD_PRINTTALK, “[Warning!]: Your ping is too high. You might get kicked in a few seconds.” )
Warning[pl:SteamID( )] = PingKickAfter
else
Warning[pl:SteamID( )] = Warning[pl:SteamID( )]-5
if Warning[pl:SteamID( )]<1 then
pl:Kick(“Sorry. Too high ping D:”)
end
end
elseif(Warning[pl:SteamID( )]!=nil and pl:Ping()<PingLimit) then
Warning[pl:SteamID( )] = nil //You Ping is okay … just keep playing. :smiley:
pl:PrintMessage( HUD_PRINTTALK, “[Warning!]: Your ping is restored. Just keep playing :D” )
end
end
end) [/code]

+1 on this one, suggestion is to add a proxi/vpn check when they join like this:

local BlockedList = {}

hook.Add( "PlayerConnect", "ProxiCheck", function( name, address )

--
	-- Proxi/VPN Checkers
	--
	-- http://www.shroomery.org/ythan/proxycheck.php?ip= "Y"
	-- http://api.stopforumspam.org/api?ip= "<appears>yes"
	--

local function CheckIP( URL, IP, Search )
		http.Fetch( URL,
			function( body, len, headers, code )
				if ( string.find( body, Search ) ) then
					return true
				else
					return false
				end
			end,
			function( error )
				return true -- Opps something went wrong
			end
		 )
	end

if ( CheckIP( "http://www.shroomery.org/ythan/proxycheck.php?ip=", address, "Y" ) or 
		 CheckIP( "http://api.stopforumspam.org/api?ip=", address, "<appears>yes" ) ) then
		 table.insert( BlockedList, name )
	end

end )

hook.Add( "PlayerInitialSpawn", "ProxiCheck", function( ply )
	for i, name in pairs( BlockedList ) do
		if ( ply:Name() == name ) then
			ply:Kick( "VPNs/Proxies have been blocked from this server." )
		end
		table.remove( BlockedList, i )
		break
	end
end )
1 Like

Cleaned up the code a bit, this shouldn’t add much ( if any at all ) load to the server. Not sure how efficient http.Fetch() is.

local function ProxiCheck( ply )
	local APIs = {
		{ "http://www.shroomery.org/ythan/proxycheck.php?ip=", "Y" },
		{ "http://api.stopforumspam.org/api?ip=", "<appears>yes" }
	}

for _, API in pairs( APIs ) do
		http.Fetch( API[1] + ply:IPAddress() , function( body )
			if ( string.find( body, API[2] ) ) then
				return true;
			end
		end )
	end
	return false
end

hook.Add( "PlayerInitialSpawn", "s_ProxiCheck", function( ply )
	if ( ProxiCheck( ply ) ) then
		ply:Kick( "VPNs/Proxies have been blocked from this server." )
	end
end )

I do NOT like this idea at all.

5 Likes

For once i like bogs attitude, that’s new

Let’s think back a few days, has it really been that bad lately? I mean, there have been the occasional GameMode Transfers that fail sometimes (which have always been an issue), and other than the major issues that happened yesterday it really hasn’t been that big of a problem, at least, for me. I haven’t been having any problems that I hadn’t experienced before the major appearance of Chinese players.

Adding something like a ping filter right now seems kind of pointless, especially with the game closing down in two months, not to mention that these are still potential consumers in a market that most times doesn’t have an interest in outside games. If you translate some of their comments and things they are saying, sometimes they mention “buying the standalone version” (from Google Translate) which most likely refers to Tower Unite.

They’re still players with the same rights to experience the game, and hey, from my view, not all is bad, most GameModes that weren’t really played a lot have been played quite a bit these last few weeks which is always nice. They’ve been engaged with the game, been interested with the game, and most likely potential buyers for the sequel. In fact, If you use Google Translate or even speak to them in English they sometimes reply back. One comment that I saw in the GMT Group comes to mind:

It’s also worth mentioning that some of those who have complained about the Chinese in the past few days haven’t really displayed much help in the whole server load situation. I’ve seen even donors and frequent players using Mic-spam, doing Chatbox Spam, insulting other players, … It’s been a whole mess.

Just give it two months and everybody will have their own server where they can do what they want and be with who they want. It’s not that serious of a deal, and it’s not like nobody is going to collapse for having a few Chinese on the server for a few more weeks. The game’s always been unstable and issues happen once in a while.

17 Likes

I also noticed the extremely high amount of chinese people playing GMTower, but blaming them for server lag? I don’t think a player’s high ping would lag the server, I can’t imagine networking work like this. So I think a high ping kicker is just pointless. The ridiculous lag has been there ever since GMTower has been massively populated, not just since the influx of chinese players. Unless I am failing to notice something, which is probably the case. Please inform me if I do.

4 Likes

If we make a high ping kick please make it fairly high. Australians get a solid 300-250 ping of average and well all play a fair amount of tower. I feel sorry for the Chinese playerbase having to use VPNs I hope that when TU comes out and they get dedicated servers they’ll be able to set up one closer to home. Hope Hong Kong server hosting isn’t too costly :wink:

1 Like

YouTube (and Facebook) are banned in China

Most Chinese people have very little money to spend on steam games, I doubt even a dozen will purchase TU once it comes out.

Politewhale2thesave

2 Likes

+1 to this post

It’s not YouTube, but it’s a popular Chinese video website. I think it’s Youku, but I might be wrong.

1 Like

i lol’d at this. [quote=“PoliteWhale, post:12, topic:4400, full:true”]
Let’s think back a few days, has it really been that bad lately? I mean, there have been the occasional GameMode Transfers that fail sometimes (which have always been an issue), and other than the major issues that happened yesterday it really hasn’t been that big of a problem, at least, for me. I haven’t been having any problems that I hadn’t experienced before the major appearance of Chinese players.

Adding something like a ping filter right now seems kind of pointless, especially with the game closing down in two months, not to mention that these are still potential consumers in a market that most times doesn’t have an interest in outside games. If you translate some of their comments and things they are saying, sometimes they mention “buying the standalone version” (from Google Translate) which most likely refers to Tower Unite.

They’re still players with the same rights to experience the game, and hey, from my view, not all is bad, most GameModes that weren’t really played a lot have been played quite a bit these last few weeks which is always nice. They’ve been engaged with the game, been interested with the game, and most likely potential buyers for the sequel. In fact, If you use Google Translate or even speak to them in English they sometimes reply back. One comment that I saw in the GMT Group comes to mind:

It’s also worth mentioning that some of those who have complained about the Chinese in the past few days haven’t really displayed much help in the whole server load situation. I’ve seen even donors and frequent players using Mic-spam, doing Chatbox Spam, insulting other players, … It’s been a whole mess.

Just give it two months and everybody will have their own server where they can do what they want and be with who they want. It’s not that serious of a deal, and it’s not like nobody is going to collapse for having a few Chinese on the server for a few more weeks. The game’s always been unstable and issues happen once in a while.
[/quote]

I understand what you mean by this, its not necessarily the Chinese people fault, its the whole server shitting itself with the excessive capacity being placed on it. Yes its only got two months left of having to deal with source at this point we will probably just have to let it die out… I also wanna point out that picture you pasted here. He made a pretty good point to MOST not all chinese people tend to get pissed at the English speaking people because we are ruining their experience because alot of us dont speak Chinese…

too much typing, but the clarify it all, if TU is gonna have servers, hosting ones in other countries shouldnt be expensive… If anyone has ever played Euro Truck Simulator 2 and has used the Multiplayer mod you would know that mod has like 5 servers… And the lead developer is a 17 year old. long story short, hopefully TU wont be this bad or bad at all

Why do I expect this thread to be locked fairly soon?

1 Like