Microsoft, Why

Forcing skype alongside hiding classic shell and saying its incompatible and was deleted. Even worse, on the same day of the update, the classic shell download service got hacked and was giving a version with a virus that infects the master boot record. This could probably just be a simple coincidence. But it maybe was microsoft. Im really starting to wonder if i should just install linux and dual boot with windows 10 just for gaming.

Maybe you should just get a Linux Distribution and run Windows 10 as a Virtual Machine within it. Then you can more handily control what IP addresses go into the virtual machine through your Linux distro, and especially considering Windows 10 can circumvent your IP blocks and redirects in system32, then you’ll have better peace of mind, then again you could also block and/or redirect the IPs in your router as well. As for games, if you have a spare, working GPU lying around, then you could preform a GPU hardware pass-through which will lower the normal Linux performance degradation of about 20-30% to about 5%. Besides, there’s been a some news recently of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update completely breaking and deleting other partitions on your hard-drive. So I’d doubt that even if you did dual boot, it would be a matter of time until your Linux partition was broken by an update to Windows 10. Besides, I’m actually seeing a noticeable chunk of band news about Windows 10 “features” going awry on their user base, but I will post them later when more replies come in.

“Microsot loves Linux!” -Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft
“Bullshit.” -Many Linux Users

On July 30th 2015, I woke up to find that my PC upgraded to Windows 10 overnight. I was annoyed. Of course, before going back to Windows 7, I decided to test things. I was excited to see that all of my stuff worked, and I only needed to reinstall a few things such as drivers and programs. I experienced very few bugs at the time, so I thought in my head, “Wow, Microsoft did a good job with Windows 10, maybe I should keep it” And so I did.

A few days later, I find out about Windows 10’s data mining. I did not care at all, and I still don’t to this day, as it’s impossible to escape.

Then, an update in August came, and it broke the most important part of Windows, the start menu. The amount of frustration I had was insane. I uninstalled the update, thinking it would fix everything. It didn’t, it made things worse. After uninstalling the update, it wasn’t only the start menu that was gone, but the store and edge browser were gone too. They had no icon on the taskbar either. If I launched either program, I would get a message that said, “This program is not compatible with your PC” This error message started the longest month of my life.

First thing I did was google the problem, only to find that nobody else had the message. I thought the message was connected to the start menu not working. I checked the file system, and I found no files relating to the start menu, store, or edge browser. To make things even worse, it was already too late to go back to Windows 7. I then realized that I was screwed. I tried doing every fix possible to make the start menu work again, including the use of PowerShell, and nothing solved my problem. I kept searching, day after day for a fix, and I gave up.

In late September, I slowly came to the conclusion that the only way out, was a factory reset. I backed up what I could on my terrible external drive and lost everything on my main drive, for a start menu. After resetting, the start menu worked again, and it’s still working today.

Thank you Microsoft, thank you for fucking up the simple task of a security patch update. Your “security patch” ruined my Windows 10 experience. And the only reason why I’m still using your shitty OS, is because of DirectX 12 support, and how you kept annoying Windows 7 and 8 users to upgrade.

How exactly? In this situation I’d use another computer, hook up the drive as external and grab everything that way.

Holy damn, sounds intense.
I was already afraid that on the last day of the upgrade possibility, MS might do some super sneaky, shady thing where they make it so pressing the X button to close the “Your upgrade is now ready” window would make it so you technically accepted the upgrade.

…oh wait, they ACTUALLY did that. Good thing is I disabled automatic updates, I have to install them manually.

I love reading all the horror stories of this OS

1 Like

What can I say, they’re a fun read as I made the right decision to not install Windows 10 on my SSD. (although my previous HDD had Windows 10) I’m guessing you don’t have it as well, right?

I’ve used 10 for over a year now and had 0 problems with it.

1 Like

There’s probably a chance that you may encounter some problems, especially if you use the Anniversary Update. Speaking of Windows 10 Anniversary Update woes though:

Nope

Don’t even use edge, it’s full of tracking shit and has ads on the start page

Unlike previous versions, windows 10 defender is not actually shit and has a similar detection rate to top avs. I use malwarebytes as my main scanner anyway.

My xbone controller still works fine

Ok this does suck but I just went through and uninstalled all that shit as soon as I updated.

Windows installs have always had varied issues for some reason, windows 8 and 10 from my experience is even worse because for some reason random glitches unique glitches that not everyone gets occur. For example in windows 10 every few updates the start menu will have some sort of weird glitch that not everyone gets, sometimes (but very rarely) causing the start menu to become unusable.

So yeah windows does seem to be a hit or miss stability wise, this is the same for every version of windows though but seems to be worse in 8 and 10 for some reason (at least in my experience)

Well, I’m boned.

Also, once update appears on the start menu, forcing a shutdown of your PC to get around it doesn’t stop the update. It’ll just install when the PC boots back up even though you never told it to. GG W10

The most annoying part for my Windows 10 PC is to activate Windows, which is bullshit.

i remember my old pc had that, and i never activated it

My relationship with windows is basically like a fish that hates water, can’t live without it so it doesn’t matter.

Well… I mean… you could always try Linux.

sure linux is a good os but for me it doesnt feel right for everyday use, and then there is gaming

late but adding on that win10 eventually stopped letting two (2) pcs of mine login at all. Both sat at a blank login screen where passwords couldn’t be typed in. reason?
it was trying to read from a non-existent fingerprint scanner. On both computers. Neither had one. Had to factory reset both pcs back to win7 and win8.