How/where do I learn to edit hitboxes?

There are some great buildings and other models in the workshop that would be awesome if you could enter them, but are solid- not even hollow so you can build inside and use a tele. Rather than just complaining or wishing, I’d like to be able to do something about it. I want to learn how to take an existing 3d model from the workshop and start carving up/editing the hitbox so you can go inside the space it currently takes up- to make it enter-able.

I have no idea where to even begin or what to look for to get started down that path. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Hitboxes on Workshop models are a little wonky right now, I think there are some workarounds that crafty condo people have come up with (Hopefully somebody can come through with some tips), but on the whole there isn’t much you can do.

However, it seems like custom collision is planned to be implemented later on, see the card below:

1 Like
6 Likes

I’m finding this to be somewhat difficult to do with more complicated structures like buildings. Is there a way to look around freely using the mouse? Also, is it possible to have objects be colored or something so I can keep track of what I’ve already done and be sure to not miss anything?

For mouse viewing:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/editors/3dview/navigate/walk_fly.html

The easiest way to keep track would probably just to hide each individual segment as you break it up. You could also go into the object properties and change the max draw type (e.g. to “Wire”) to keep track, although that would probably take a bit more time.

What does it mean, when I try to upload the the test file to the workshop, that there are “too many materials”? It was a Sweet Home 3d creation with just walls, floors, ceiling, windows, and door frames

Workshop models for TU have a max 10 material limit.

1 Like

I don’t understand what that means. I’ve never done blender before and am learning for the reasons stated in the OP. I never set any “materials” or textures. It’s just white surfaces,. Nothing in blender or sweet home 3d says anything about “materials” that I can see.