Friends only Workshop models

I usually have workshop models turned off because people use dumb models, but it would be nice to allow models for friends, who I know wouldn’t use models like that. Or maybe a whitelist that I can put people onto?

I’d love a friends only option.

6 Likes

I suggested this once back on the steam forums, reckon its gone now with the shift to the site.
I need this for hardware reasons.

I have to keep workshop playermodels off because my weak AT&T internet can’t handle connection to the plaza AND be downloading 300mb worth of playermodels in the background, it sends my ping sky high;
I get stuttering and hanging each time a player joins as the game loads and caches models in on the fly.

When I keep workshop playermodels off, I get near flawless performance on max settings. I just wish I could use my own PM without having to load in every Tom Dick or Harry that pops in for 11 seconds.

3 Likes

I find this to be a pretty dang useful feature myself. We’ll take a look at how we can approach making this.

12 Likes

I was about to make a suggestion of “Privated Workshop Playermodels” wich what you upload, you can only wear that playermodel but everyone can still see it.

I wanted to open a post for that because, i’ve made myself a Toontown Deer model from Toontown Rewritten and i’d like to have it for Tower Unite, but only for myself and no one else, tho, still everyone will be able to see it.

2 Likes

Hate to bump an ancient topic but have you made any progress to enact this in the near future?
A modified system like how you use a whitelist for canvases perhaps?

Several major updates later, I’m still stuck to keeping Workshop models off for compatibility.

(In response to danylopez123’s request for personal/private player models.)

This could potentially be implemented by checking for a special flag in the model itself (or a keyword in the workshop description, or a tag.), then comparing your SteamID to the SteamID of the worshop entry’s author/uploader or to the ones it’s contributor list. If they don’t match, it won’t let you use the model. That way people can still view the workshop page for reports and whatnot, and having a public listing.

For the devs: Use GetQueryUGCResult, and check m_ulSteamIDOwner in the SteamUGCDetails_t struct that it returns, comparing it against the user’s SteamID. If you want to use a “Personal” tag, use m_rgchTags and check for it in the string.

2 Likes

any luck yet?

2 Likes

Can we bump this up the list of features soon? I find it a pretty basic feature to be able see my own PM and my friends’ but not have to block every obscenely high poly model that pops into the public servers just to save RAM.

2 Likes

Second this, this feature is in high demand, especially if the vote count on the duplicate threads are anything to go by

1 Like

33 votes for this feature? My gosh, this suggestion will go pending soon in the future… :dizzy_face:

1 Like

My computer’s graphics card isn’t capable of rendering a large amount of Workshop playermodels without degrading the graphics quality of everything else, so I have to keep playermodels turned off. Having a feature like this would be a godsend.

1 Like