Everything disappeared. I think I'm done playing

I’ve been grinding this game for the past couple of weeks. Constantly editing my house and saving before exit. Getting Halloween items as a new player. I didn’t realize snapshotting was more important, or that there wasn’t old saves already created since there’s a button for it within the condo.

Well, turns out I enter my condo after restarting my game, and every single thing I ever placed down, which was around 1050 items including pictures is completely wiped off the condo and back into my inventory. Yet all of the walls I painted and replaced were still the same.

I’ve never had a game do this so abruptly. And I actually cried like a big kid.

My in-game ID is: Bunnycat, I have no idea what to do. I’ve been working hard on it possibly expecting to at-least participate in the condo event for the first time, spending so much time on the condo for everyone of my friends to see. Adding small details and such… It’s really disheartening. I know this game is buggy but It actually hurts to lose everything you work on within one moment.

2 Likes

One thing to stress is all your saves are kept locally in files, there shouldn’t ever be a case of everything vanishing from your condo unless you hard reset or aren’t using the same PC anymore.

I’d like to take a guess that possibly you loaded into your condo when Steam’s inventory was down, and you lost connection to it, thus no items loaded. As long as it didn’t autosave over your file, it should be fine.

All the snapshots/saves you’ve done are kept locally at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[usernumber]\394690\remote\Condos

For every condo you own, there is a file dedicated to snapshots for it.
Inside those are files of every named save you’ve made, and the ‘CondoData’ file which is the autosave of when you first load in for that specific condo, it is the file it’ll choose first.

If you have any snapshots of the save in question, first backup the current one in the core condo folder, then try entering their folder, copying the ‘CondoData’ and replacing the one in the main folder for that condo. Then attempt to enter your Condo again.

4 Likes

We’ve been seeing more reports of this lately, sorry this happened to your condo. There isn’t really anything we can do if your local data is lost like this if there isn’t a backup, best I can do is share our thoughts on the issue what we’re doing to mitigate this in the future.

Previously we thought it was purely an issue with steam’s cloud saves which had put a fix out of reach for us, but recent reports point to it actually being an issue with steam’s inventory system going out during loading. If we can detect the inventory system going down we might be able to put a work around for this to prevent this problem in the future. We’re also planning on starting work on an automated backup save system next week, which could take snapshots of the condo x days apart. It would probably be a small number of backups to keep disc size down, with an intent to add a setting to allow people to have more if they want.

5 Likes

An update:

There is a fix for the inventory system being down causing condo’s to save empty files written, but we haven’t been able to integrate it into a build with the cadence of updates lately (we want to be able to have several days to test any changes to the condo saves before releasing them). The backup system will take a little longer, but hopefully we’ll have the first fix out after our next update which is around the corner.

Hopefully that will fix or at least mitigate condo data loss, and if not the later backup system will make it easier for user’s to recover data while we further investigate the issue.

Thanks for everyone’s patience while we sort this out, and another reminder to make your own backups in the meantime.

2 Likes

As someone who’s also had this happen to me and also made me stop playing for a while, I am so very sorry this has happened to you. It’s even worse when the condo saves while it fails to load all the items and while I do think backups are in order it’s unreasonable for people to expect people to understand that the condos were saved locally. I hadn’t realized until after the incident and got bombarded with people telling me to be sure to back the condo up and that it’s my fault I failed to back up my condos and it only made me feel worse about the incident. I hope one day you find time to get back into the game though.

I had saved stuff via snapshots but some of my snapshots seemingly went missing, I hadn’t realized snapshots and saves were two completely different things at the time.

1 Like