Emulation With Libretro & Tower Unite

There’s key bindings for Libretro in the keyboard settings.

It doesn’t appear to be working even after I saved my new bindings.

I have the joysticks set to WASD to jump, move, but it seems permanently locked to the arrow keys only no matter what I set it to. Maybe it’s the game I’ve put on for the specific cabinet?

Like I’ve set D-pad and joystick to all WASD with some subtle changes to start/insert coin, but I can’t move at all now.

I’ve been using ParaLLEl as my graphics plugin of choice for standalone Mupen64, and it’s fixed a lot of graphical bugs that have plagued 64 emulation for a long time. I’m wondering if Tower will support that as an option in the future. It should probably be optional, because it requires a beefier computer than HLE graphics plugins.

I’m adding support for this core in the next update. You’ll have both cores to choose from.

3 Likes

The Yuzu emulator’s been shut down after a settlement with Nintendo, and because the same team worked on Citra, that’s gone too. The website now shows only a paragraph explaining what happened, and the GitHub repository was removed.

Will Tower have to drop 3DS emulation until a new core comes out? As far as I know, no other Libretro 3DS cores exist.

As long as the core is available on the Libretro buildbot. There is no other action we need to do as Tower does not ship with Citra.

1 Like

PSP ISSUES

Screen is overly BRIGHT.
Even with the brightness turned down, it’s an issue.

Needs support for all the miscellaneous buttons, as some games like to use them: media button, WLAN switch, etc.

Emulation crashes when switching to 30FPS. Please add a 30FPS keybind.

Allow the player to disallow automatic save states. I do not like using them, prefer traditional saving.

Allow the player to rebind libretro controllers under controller settings. Example: PSP only has one analog stick. Games like Phantasy Star Portable 2 uses the D-Pad to control the camera. I would like the right analog to mimic the D-Pad.

Allow cheats.txt. I have 60FPS cheats that need to be applied.

Key Binds: Whatever is mapped to the down button on PPSSPP does not work.

Left analog and D-Pad should not be the same. Cannot play certain games proper i.e. controlling character and camera together, not separately. Please separate the binds. Add a mode to mimic the D-Pad presses to left analog.

Thank you.

2 Likes

I’m trying to get Vice 64 emulation going in my condo. I’ve got two ZIP files that each contain a D64 disk image and an NFO text file - these zips will unpack and mount in a standalone ViCE 64 emulator just fine but when I try opening them on a libretro item in my condo, I get a popup that says “Failed to extract” and the screen remains staticy with something that says something like “failed to load content”. Libretro Vice 64 doesn’t seem to need a bios and the docs everywhere say to just drop zip or crt files into the Vice 64 folder, so what am I missing?

Also, I realize I’m a few months late here, but apparently it’s not uncommon that MAME lightgun games must be calibrated via the game’s service options before they’ll work right. I learned this the hard way and figured I’d share it.

For Time Crisis 1 in particular, you have to enable keyboard mode via the libretro menu you get by holding LSHIFT, hold (I think) 9 and press F2 to start the calibration. Time Crisis’s calibration method is multi-step and iterative, so make sure you complete the entire calibration - don’t make the mistake I nearly made and write it off as broken because it was still misbehaving after the first step. I don’t recall the exact process off the top of my head, besides needing to switch keyboard mode on and off repeatedly through it.

I can’t speak for other games, but when in doubt, poke around the service menu (turn on keyboard mode and press just F2).

The calibration data is persisted in the NVRAM so you’ll only need to calibrate it once.

4 Likes

You’re a lifesaver, I managed to figure it out but what a pain with all the keyboard mode switching.

How to calibrate Time Crisis gun:

1. Interact with the cabinet
  2. Hold LSHIFT to access menu and select Keyboard mode.
  3. Hold 9 and hit F2 to access Gun Calibration (see notes if not working)
  4. Hold F1 and select Keyboard mode.
  5. Right click to select Gun Initialize (Standard)
  6. Hold LSHIFT and select Keyboard mode.
  7. Right click to enter calibration mode.
  8. Shoot the center of the on-screen crosshair. Take a few test shots in the area.
  9. Hold LSHIFT and select Keyboard mode.
  10. Press 9 to exit calibration
  11. Press F2 to exit Test mode.
  12. Hold F1 and select Keyboard mode.
  13. Hold LSHIFT and press Reset to clear the ghost crosshairs

You finally have a calibrated Time Crisis.

Note: If you have issues with the service mode button, try deleting your timecris.cfg under Tower Unite\Tower\Libretro\Saves\Core\mame2010\cfg, this will set your game-specific binds back to default. Also, if you have a 60% keyboard or have to hold a Fn key to send F2, you might have to make sure to press Fn and F2 very quickly together.

4 Likes

CHD files

Has anyone had success loading a ROM that requires a .chd file? I've tried a few different ways with no luck. I'm desperate to get a working CarnEvil cabinet in my condo!

From what I understand, the ROM .zip should be in the Arcade folder, and the .chd file should be in a folder named after the .zip. The cabinet sees the ROM but does not load it.

MAME artwork

I'm not sure if this is fully implemented, but I'm unable to get overlays/additional artwork to load under Libretro\System\mame2010\artwork. In the F1 menu of the game, the overlays and artwork are enabled. The artwork does load in a standalone MAME2003 emulator.

I’ve had success with Carnevil.

I have it setup like:
Arcade/carnevil/carnevil.chd
Arcade/carnevil.zip

1 Like

I think maybe keyboard switching should be on a hot key like F5 or something.

2 Likes

Did you do anything else? I’ve tried with the exact same configuration but I only ever get a black screen, but it works on my standalone MAME instance. Can you tell me the size of your .chd and .zip files?

I used the one from MAME 2010.

chd is 1.51 GB
zip is 124 KB

1 Like

Thanks, I found it in the MAME 2003 Reference / MAME 0.78 archive. Got Crypt Killer working, too. You’re the GOAT!

1 Like

Is there any chance the devs could give PCSX2 support another look? TU’s implementation of Play isn’t handling one of my games too well while PCSX2 runs it flawlessly.

2 Likes

I hope this gets fixed. I tried to play to play MGS Peace Walker, but it’s impossible because trying to move left or right opens the item menu which makes movement impossible.

1 Like

Have you or anyone been able to get the artwork to load for MAME roms that load from the /artwork folder?

I’ve been trying to get Golly Ghosts working for a while and while I’ve been able to get it to run by deleting the entry for it out of ~/Tower/Libretro/Databases/mame_finalburn.txt, which allows it to load - however the artwork for it does not load. The game runs, but there’s no background art. I can confirm that I have background art working on the MAME 2003 core from retroarch. Would love to have this gem up and running!

I’ve managed to kind of get this working. By hotloading the latest MAME core I can see the artwork but the mouse doesn’t control the lightgun.