Elliott's Adventure Map

This is a linear adventure/exploration map with several different themes between each area of the three sections. There are also a few jumping/parkour sections throughout the map with both easy and hard paths. Hidden throughout the map are 4 clues found in notebooks that will allow you to guess correctly on the end puzzle. Take your time and explore!

The map is around 1+ hour long and so far has taken me over 460+ hours of work and over 8800+ total objects hand placed, one object at a time! It has been very fun to make and I have learned a lot about map design. It would be awesome to get some thumbs up ratings in the workshop if you enjoyed it! :+1:

F.A.Q & Changelog are below the screenshots.

The map is still getting a lot of updates pretty frequently as shown in the steam workshop Change Notes ( view ). Feel free to suggest anything in this thread or let me know of any bugs/issues you come across.

FAQ:
Q: How long is the map? How long did it take to make?
A: Around 1+ hour to complete without rushing. The map has taken me over 460 hours to make so far.

Q: Should anything be disabled in this map?
A: Jetpacks

Q: Why am I having a hard time going through teleports?
A: Your workshop model size is probably causing the issue, change your workshop model to the default or a more normal sized model. Remove any size potions and play in first person view.

Q: Why am I having problems with the platforming/jumping parts?
A: Overly large or small player models seem to have a harder time making jumps, try the default or a more normal sized player model. Try removing size potions or you may also be simply jumping too early or too late.

Full Map Changelog:
Feb 2024:
-Reduced Changelog books
-Several adjustments/improvements across the map

Dec 2023:
-Added post process volumes across the map
-Several additions, adjustments and fixes

Nov 2023:
-Added ability to backtrack through entire map
-Performance optimizations:
*Reduced total workshop items from 665 to 565
-Redesigned progression near the end of the map

Sep 2023:
-Added new sound emitters across the map
-Fixed several texture issues
-Removed a couple movement volumes
-Several adjustments across the map

Jul 2023:
-Added movement volumes across the map
-Adjusted several jumping sections to be easier
*Reduced total workshop items from 700 to 665
*Reduced total sound emitters from 441 to 429
-Skyglide has been redone to Skybounce
*All fans replaced with trampolines
-Disabled “Keep Velocity” on all respawn teleporters

Jun 2023:
-Added low gravity to mars planet
-Added movement/gravity volumes across the map
-Several improvements to The Backrooms, Waste Pit & End Area
-Optimized several canvas images reducing overall file size
-Some small lighting optimizations

May 2023:
*Reduced total workshop items from 947 to 700
*Reduced total sound emitters from 496 to 441
-Redesigned progression through large house
-Improved vent size in large house
-Fixed a few spelling mistakes

Apr 2023:
-Some adjustments/improvements across the map

Feb/Mar 2023:
-Added mannequins around the first section
-Minor optimizations around the map

Dec 2022:
-New area to explore near the end of the map
-Improved text in a few notebooks
-Improved lava pit respawning
-Improvements to backtracking
-Open direction changes on a few doors
-Several performance optimizations

Nov 2022:
-Challenge climb at the end is slightly easier
-Improved out of bounds protection on RC track
-Redesigned progression through rock tunnel

Oct 2022:
-Added The Backrooms
-Added Sewer access
-Redesigned progression to cafeteria
-Notebooks are now yellow for better visibility
-Improved text in several notebooks
-Some small performance optimizations

Sep 2022:
-Added & changed a ton of sound emitters
-Replaced ceiling fans with DIY fans

May 2022:
-Added a cavern inside the rock tunnel

Apr 2022:
-Added extra notebooks around map

Oct/Nov/Dec 2021:
-Several fixes/improvements across the map

Sep 2021:
-Added Space Odyssey bedroom
-Improved texture scales across the map
-Improved sound volumes across the map
-Several additions across the map
-Several fixes to lighting and surfaces across the map

Aug 2021:
-Added SCP-087 (Staircase) to first section
-Added backtracking through memory puzzle
-Adjusted easy paths to be slightly easier
-Improved waste pit respawning
-Removed more bushes for map optimization
-Replaced some ground textures across the map
-Several additions across the map

Jul 2021:
-Added map to steam workshop
-Added images to vent teleports in large house
-Added a secret area to the end
-Replaced mars ground texture
-Replaced/removed more large file size workshop items
-Several small additions across the map

May/Jun 2021:
-New Skyglide & Climb challenge area
-Optimized every canvas image reducing overall file size
-Tons of fixes/improvements across the map

Apr 2021:
-New Tunnel section & ending area
-New Phasmophobia truck to first section
-Added extra objects around mars planet
-Several improvements to lava & waste pit
-Several map optimizations:
*Removed 82 bushes, 30 trees & 96 grass objects
*Replaced/removed large file size workshop items

Mar 2021:
-New mars planet location
-New easier branching path for lava pit section
-New slenderman area in first section
-New visual upgrade to all teleports
-Better texture size in large house for floor/vents
-Visual improvements to hedge maze
-Vent overall size improvements
-Various sound/lighting adjustments to every location
-Platforming/Jumping sections are now easier
-Removed all high poly workshop items

Feb 2021:
-Started map

10 Likes

How do you get out of the kitchen in the house to the next area?

If you are on the fridge/kitchen counter already, run along the counter there will be another vent to enter just past the sink. Should be hard to miss at that point. I tried making the vent visible from ontop the fridge but I can see how it might still be missed.

Edit:
I have added something to the top of the fridge that should help direct people if they are unsure where to go next. I am also doing small updates/improvements every other day or so, checking the change notes on the workshop page will show all the smaller changes I have been doing.

Now that August is behind us, here is what has been changed/added in my map over the past month!

First off, more map optimizations have taken place, removing more bushes, reducing all and removing some portal particles and a further reduction in overall workshop item file size. I have also gone through and re-worded almost every single notebook which I think has improved the information and direction you get from them.

New Area: SCP-087 (Staircase)

This is my version of SCP-087 (Staircase) that I think fits nicely in the first area along side the Phasmophobia truck and Slenderman area. I suggest walking (not running) down the staircase to get the full experience of the subtle sound effects that happen around you during your decent. This can be found in the first area at the far end of the hallway next to the cafeteria entrance.

Updated ground textures:

After the fantastic Mars ground texture replacement from the previous month, I decided to look into replacing more ground textures to make things feel a bit varied and more normal looking and I think it worked out really well, especially in the first area. No longer does every room have the same wooden floor. The recovery room, bathroom, office, cafeteria all look a lot better from this update.

Updated tunnel section:

I have always felt the tunnel section near the end was a little empty feeling, so I spent some time adding more pipes, crates, barrels and other items around. I think this has helped remove that empty feeling a bit. More work will be done throughout the tunnels in the future to continue filling everything out.

Another update that I am happy to announce is the ability to finally backtrack through the “Memory Puzzle” near the end of the tunnels. This is also where I fully removed teleporter particles for a hopeful small optimization for people with older PCs.

Other small updates:

• The waste pits were always a bit touchy when ever you would crouch in specific spots on top of some rocks and it could teleport you unfairly. I have touched this area up and it feels much better now, you should be able to hop onto all the rocks and crouching should no longer trigger the teleport on you.

• All easy paths throughout the map have been adjusted to be a tiny bit easier, you might not even notice much of a visual change but for those who were struggling with some of the easy path jumps hopefully they should be a bit easier now for you and just as rewarding to finish.

• Several other fixes/additions/improvements throughout the map!

I also wanted to send out a huge thank you to everyone who has been thumbing up my map in the workshop. I am glad everyone is enjoying the map and having fun! I really hope you enjoy the updates from August.

2 Likes

September Update:

Not a lot of work was put into the map as I took a break from working on it for a few weeks. However with the most recent Tower Unite update I had to go through the map and re-adjust a lot of lighting due to unattractive shadows being cast. I also fixed a few workshop items that went missing from the workshop which had to be replaced.

The new update has allowed me to adjust several texture scales on surfaces making them look much nicer (most noticeable in the Lava and Waste pits). I also increased the volume across the entire map as I am realizing not everyone will be playing at full volume, those now with volume not at max should hear more subtle sound effects scattered throughout the map. Can’t forget to mention the usual many small changes and adjustments across the entire map.

Last but not least I have made some adjustments to the monolith in the mars section and have added the room from 2001 Space Odyssey after you enter the monolith. It does not look exactly like the movie but is close enough for now and I will probably touch it up more overtime (Edit: I have updated it a tad to look a little better).

I hope you enjoy! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

October/November Update:

I took a break for most of October and November but still hopped on from time to time and made several small adjustments/additions/fixes. Again with a recent large patch I have went through the map and fixed several of the broken Ghoul Coin smoke effects and readjusted all flickering lights to be way less hurtful on the eyes.

Thanks to all who continue to thumb up my map in the workshop, it’s awesome to see that number go up and it’s getting closer to my goal of 100 thumbs up! :slight_smile:

2022 Updates and beyond

Since the last post I have been slowly working on the map. A new side section in the rock tunnel (waterfall area) has been added and work has progressed with the new sound emitter options with several already replaced and new ones added. The ceiling fans have been replaced with the new DIY fans (Initial tests seem to replicate the way the ceiling fans worked for me, adjusting them will happen over time). This should hopefully help with issues that some players were having being unable to use the fans lift properly.

I will continue with adjustments and improvements to the map, thank you again for all the thumbs up and favs/subs on the workshop! :blush:

2 Likes

I just finished a sound emitter pass over the entire map. I have added tons of new emitters and changed/modified existing ones. I am really happy with all the new sound effects and music options. My map feels way more alive and varied now!

I also have adjusted the DIY fans a bit and they should feel a bit better now.

Enjoy! :grinning:

1 Like

October 2022:
-Added The Backrooms
-Added Sewer access
-Redesigned progression to cafeteria
-Notebooks are now yellow for better visibility
-Some small performance optimizations

The cafeteria entrance has been blocked off, the only way to go now is down the stairs of SCP-087 and find a way through, but be careful some reports now show there is a place even worse that you can be pulled into while down there. This is why the door now has an auto lock upon entry mechanism.

The backrooms have been added! Just in time for the spooky season! :jack_o_lantern: Enjoy exploring the new route to get into the cafeteria! Along with even more sound changes across the entire map the first section has been improved/adjusted the most this month.

(you can still backtrack to the hall through the vent once you make it into the cafeteria)

(A+ fluorescent light buzz included)

(Careful what you might find)

The Backrooms area will be tweaked from time to time and very well could receive new areas in the future.
I really hope you like the spooky additions! :ghost:

Edit 10/31/2022:
I pumped out some more updates before the end of the month, again mostly focusing on the first section of the map.

• The Sewers have been opened! Find the entrance near the Phasmophobia truck. I plan on expanding this section sometime in the future.

• All the notebooks are now yellow for much better visibility.

• Several small improvements to the Slenderman forest area

• There are new transitions for a few teleports that I feel were very much needed, I always felt the teleports were a little too quick and lessened the impact of what just happened to you. You can find the two transitions when jumping into the cup on the table in the large house and after pressing the launch escape pod button in the spaceship. I plan on improving and adding more transitions for a few other teleports in the future.

• It seems a few Smilers from the backrooms have made their way into other parts of the map, luckily it seems they are just contained in the first section. Can you locate them?

2 Likes

November & December 2022 Updates!

November 2022:
-Challenge climb at the end is slightly easier
-Improved out of bounds protection on RC track
-Redesigned progression through rock tunnel

For November I mostly focused on a ton of adjustments and improvements across the entire map, redesigned the rock tunnel progression so the newer cavern section can’t be skipped and making some of the harder jumps a bit easier across the map with most attention on trying to make the Challenge climb easier overall at the end area. Also in the end area the RC track got a overhaul around the jump to prevent going out of bounds, the ability to jump and skip over the wall is still possible as a risk/reward jump but you should no longer accidentally go out of the course which would result in having to recall and replace your RC car back down. Small optimizations were done as well with several lights to hopefully reclaim a few more frames per second out of the map, mostly turning off shadow casting on many light sources.

(The recent cave in that is part of the redesigned progression through the rock tunnel)

============================================

December 2022:
-New area to explore near the end of the map
-Improved text in a few notebooks
-Improved lava pit respawning
-Improvements to backtracking
-Open direction changes on a few doors

So far December has seen a brand new area to explore near the end of the map, found in the room at the end of the tunnel after the memory puzzle tunnel doors. Improvements to all backtrack teleports have been done you will now clearly see the words “Backtrack” on the end letting you know it’s a backtrack teleport. Several locations where you could get stuck have been patched up, several doors have had there open door direction changed so doors will be less in the way when going through. Several areas in the lava pit were found to not reset if you fell into parts of the lava, this has been improved and you should now always teleport back out when you fall into the lava.

(I will say a scene from the newer Bladerunner movie inspired this first room)

I hope you enjoy all the changes! :grin:

Update 12/7/2022:
-Expanded new area near the end
-Some performance optimizations

I have added onto the new area near the end so it feels more “complete” now. I have also hidden several teleporters especially some large overlapping ones, in the hopes of a performance optimization that might squeeze some more FPS out of the map.

Update 12/11/2022:

I have done even more performance optimizations regarding teleporters and reduced the overall amount of particles from visible teleporters, this should even further help get more FPS out of the map.

Update 12/16/2022:
-Finished up new area near the end

I have finished the newest area near the end of the map, a short ancient Egyptian themed section. Enjoy!

Update 12/19/2022:
I have added an alternative path at the DIY fans in the final tunnel area. If for some reason Lag is keeping you from being able to pass this (as a host or client) there is now a ladder that you can climb up to a simple parkour section and jump your way to the next area.

The Skyglide area in the waterfall/forest section has been adjusted and smaller fans have been put in on the first half to further address players experiencing lag. As this area is optional and not required for reaching any end of the map, I have kept the second half of the course untouched except some minor adjustments to the fans settings. In fact all the DIY fans have had their strength and push increased a bit as they felt weak for some reason, I may still mess with the settings later with more testing.

I have made some jumps in the waterfall/forest section a tiny bit more forgiving and made some small improvements in the newest Egyptian area near the end of the map as well.

Update 12/24/2022:
-Fixed lighting in a few areas from latest update
-Removed a broken canvas image
-On fail of final puzzle if you select waterfall area it will now spawn you past the platforming section

I have fixed the lighting changes made for the most recent update [0.16.4.0] which thankfully only effected The Backrooms and the final tunnel section. It was also reported to me that there was a broken texture in the escape pod on mars which has been removed. Finally I have given players who guess incorrectly on the final puzzle and choose to respawn in the waterfall area a further ahead spawn point past the parkour section so they do not need to redo that part which saves time and frustration of having to do it all over again.

Update 12/26/2022:
I have fixed a few things that were missed from the previous update, I also started giving the final puzzle area with the portals a small touchup, when I finished that area it was quickly put together and has not been improved on in well over a year, so now is the time :+1: . Also (and finally) new high quality preview pictures for the steam workshop page and this threads first post!

1 Like

Into 2023!

I took a break from my map in January but decided to hop back in a bit in February and now into March. I have made several small changes around the map and added Mannequins around the first section of the map :slight_smile:

Feb & March 2023:
-Added mannequins around the first section
-Minor optimizations around the map

I hope you enjoy!
Be on the lookout for more updates coming up, currently brainstorming some things to add/change.

I still cant believe I started and have been working on this map for over 2 years now. :grin:

April 2023:
-Some adjustments/improvements across the map

Not much has changed, just some slight visual improvements and minor changes in a few locations across the map.

May 2023:
*Reduced total workshop items from 947 to 700
*Reduced total sound emitters from 496 to 441

Mostly replacing workshop items with some of the new in game items and a few workshop items were entirely removed all in an effort to reduce the total number to hopefully see any extra performance out of the map.

The walls around the RC track have been improved as shown below, no longer plain white walls:

I plan to continue trimming down workshop items if and when I can.

Update 05/22/23:
-Further performance optimizations:
*Reduced total workshop items down to 826

I have reduced/replaced even more workshop items bringing the total down from 947 to 826 since starting this round of optimizations. I have also done some smaller optimizations such as removing the canvas images on the outside of the vents looking in as they were too obscured anyway to even tell what they were. I replaced a few larger 12MB workshop items with 1MB workshop items to reduce load a little bit.

So far, after removing 121 workshop items I still do not see a noticeable frames per second increase, but the load time for the map is getting quicker which I am happy about.

I do hope these optimizations help anyone at all, even if it’s just a little bit.

UPDATE 05/29/23:
*Reduced total workshop items down to 737
*Reduced total sound emitters from 496 to 475

I have finally redesigned the progression through the large house so the first clue should no longer be so easily missed! I have been wanting to do something like this for some time as it was the most missed clue out of the four. I have also increased the size slightly in the vents so it feels less like you are scraping your head along the top when moving through them.

On top of all that I have now successfully removed 210 workshop items entirely and/or replaced with in game items. This has been most noticeable in load time and I am hoping this will be much better for those with less video memory graphics cards or slower internet as less workshop items need to be loaded overall. Items entirely removed where small and easily missed/skipped. I have also removed/replaced more of the larger MB size workshop items.

UPDATE 05/31/23:
*Reduced total workshop items down to 700
*Reduced total sound emitters down to 441

One last update to round out May. Load time has been successfully reduced quite a bit and the map looks just as good. I went over everything for a final polish and I think I did well reducing even more workshop items and a sizable amount of sound emitters.

My next goal is to do some lighting reworks in larger areas of the map to attempt to actually gain some frames. While I don’t mind the faster load time I was under the impression removing so many workshop items would have given some sort of increase, but after 247 workshop items removed… maybe 1 or 2 fps at most. So the lighting is what I want to work on next, things may end up darker (flashlights yay) but I hope not to change the overall feel of the map and only want to increase performance so I will need to find a good balance. Expect small sectional updates in the coming months :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone for the thumbs up in the steam workshop! I really appreciate it!
My new goal is 200 thumbs up!
Enjoy!

June 2023:
-Added low gravity to mars planet
-Added movement/gravity volumes across the map
-Several improvements to The Backrooms, Waste Pit & End Area
-Optimized several canvas images reducing overall file size
-Some small lighting optimizations

I have finally added low gravity to the mars planet location after meticulously redoing the entire edge boundary walls, worth the hours. It feels much better now in my opinion and I will be tweaking it a bit to get it just right.

Work was done in The Backrooms to help with any confusion while navigating around. I also attempted to lower the light radius to remove any unneeded light overlapping and no FPS increase yet, so still a work in progress. I was able to reduce the lights in the Lava pit from 2 to 1 source, my hope is all these small light adjustments will help with overall FPS.

I started playing around with some I/O Gravity and Player movement volumes which have been added to the map. (Working really well for my Slenderman area to prevent running/crouching etc). I hope to put more of these volumes to work throughout my map.

I spent some time reducing the overall file size of several canvas images reducing the total from 33MB to 28MB. Nothing major but every little bit helps, for now I just focused on the largest sized images.

Update: 06/19/23
I have done some amazing visual updates to the Waste Pit on the mars planet and a few sections in the end area, screenshots below. I have also removed a few more unneeded lighting overlaps, a very slow process with how I have my lighting set up in some of the big areas.

New dice roll area:

New TV area:

Waste Pit Before:

Waste Pit After:

I also added a few more gravity and player movement modifiers around the map, hopefully to good effect, after watching many people play the map I can see what’s being missed from running too quickly especially with sound effects being passed up before they even have a chance to be heard. I am really happy with where the map is currently at, I wish it was easier to optimize performance but at least I was able to cut the initial load time of the map down a ton over the past few updates.

July 2023:
-Added movement volumes across the map
-Adjusted several jumping sections to be easier
-Skyglide has been redone to Skybounce
*All fans replaced with trampolines
-Disabled “Keep Velocity” on all respawn teleporters

One of the biggest changes so far is the entire redo of Skyglide into Skybounce. I have replaced all the DIY fans as they have only become more broken since the latest patch (0.16.11.0) with trampolines! They should hopefully work client side much better then the fans.

Apart from that I have made several jumping sections (with the exception of hard paths) much easier, less jumping too late and less barely missing landings. I want this map to be playable start to finish by everyone so I am hoping this has accomplished that.

More movement modifiers have been scattered throughout the map as well as a ton of adjustments and improvements to many other parts all over the map.

I would also like to announce a new map I have started working on inspired by Kreedz Climbing and Only Up! called Time to Climb. It’s an upwards jumping platformer that has been a blast to make so far, I plan to have the first section of it refined enough to host on the steam workshop very soon.

UPDATE 07/27/23:

I have done another round of optimizations with surprising results, my map now runs at a solid 60fps for me when in the recent past it would run around 35-40fps. A couple visual fixes were included in this update and some other small adjustments here and there.

Work on my new map (Time to Climb) is going great, the workshop release and forum post about it should be days away, I am just going over everything many times to make sure the first release is a good release.

Please enjoy all the July updates! Thank you for thumbing up my map in the steam workshop!

1 Like

I really had fun with this one! I won’t repeat what I said on Steam but overall, it’s crazy what you can do! Very cool!

1 Like

September 2023:
-Added new sound emitters across the map
-Fixed several texture issues
-Removed a couple movement volumes
-Several adjustments across the map

Not a huge update but I have fixed some texture issues and started implementing some of the new sound emitters (which are very cool btw). I have also removed a few unneeded movement volumes in a few areas.

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

November 2023:
-Added ability to backtrack through entire map
*Reduced total workshop items from 665 to 565
-Redesigned progression near the end of the map

This update brings even more of a performance optimization to the map, I have replaced/removed 100 workshop items, including several large file size objects and the removal of the only two NPC objects that were hardly being utilized.

The map is now more optimized then ever before!

Several areas across the entire map have also been touched up a little bit, many workshop items were replaced with like or similar items, several new objects have been placed and several sound effects have also been changed.

Hope you enjoy!

UPDATE: 11/19/23

I have further reduced the workshop items by removing/replacing an additional 35 workshop items totaling 100 removed/reduced for Novembers update! Down from 665 to 565 now!

UPDATE: 11/22/23

I have added the ability to completely backtrack through the entire map! No longer are there “Point of no return signs” as you can now fully backtrack. I plan on doing a few more routing changes near the end of the map but this backtracking has been on my todo list for quite some time, glad to get it implemented into the map! Enjoy!

UPDATE: 11/23/23

I redesigned the progression near the end of the map right before the final puzzle. You now are required to go through the Egyptian set piece to progress to the final puzzle.

December 2023 Update:
-Added post process volumes across the map
-Several additions, adjustments and fixes

Added a few post process volumes around the map, just testing them out in select areas for now, I may add more or change the ones currently in place later. Added more flower variety around the outdoor areas as well as several other adjustments and fixes around the map.

Enjoy and Happy New Year!

Feb 2024 Update:
-Reduced Changelog books

Just a small adjustments update nothing major changed or altered.