Hello everyone! I have made this thread to announce and discuss something new I have been working on on the side.
Recently, I have begun working on updating the art on the game’s furniture items with the goal of standardizing the art styles, bringing many of their quality up to par, optimizing texture usage, and making them easier to decorate with.
These are the problems I am solving:
- Many condo items are of several different art styles, due to several factors (some were old furniture we created for GMT, some were created when our artist(s) were at different levels of ability at the time, etc)
- Much of the condo items are unoptimized. For example, many of the furniture items have unique textures when they don’t need to. This eats up video memory.
- Similar items look very different (for example, wood furniture items should have similar wood!)
To solve these issues I am doing the following:
- Improving the quality of some of the models so that all of the game’s purchasable furniture are at the same standardized quality level
- Standardizing the textures used in the furniture, which will make the furniture easier to decorate with (and also more optimized)
- Ensuring that all furniture has sufficient LODs for optimization
For example, currently, if you purchase a wood table, a wood chair, and a wood dresser, all three likely have very different looking wood, making them difficult to decorate with. From now on, all of these will use a standard wood texture that you can customize the color of. Similar for other materials, such as plastic, concrete, etc.
I will be releasing the updated versions of these condo items in chunks. The first chunk is being released with update 0.9.0.2. Unfortunately, these changes mean that the colors of some of your furniture items may look different after the update. However, I believe that this is important to the long term quality and polish of the game.
I am making this thread to be a central hub for feedback, issues, bugs, and suggestions for these updates. They will continue to rollout in each update in chunks. Thank you for your understanding.