Condo Furniture Standardization Info Thread

Why not make the rock texture mapped so every rock will look different but fit seamlessly together?

Oh boy, I somehow didn’t see this thread.
Please bear with me, Most of these are just opinions I wanna get out there.

Rocks.
Not a fan of the new rock texture, but that aside, something with the update fucked them up a little. They all produce these weird high-contrast shadows on themselves that look bright at night and almost look like toonshading. I recall the martian rock was styled this way before, but now they all are. Watch this, especially the second rock:

Old rocks

New rocks

Glass Full Frame Thick
I had a lot of these set to solid white before, and I wouldn’t mind if had to manually re-adjust the colors back, but now it’s impossible. Here it is, side-by-side with the thin frame.

Grid bookcase

On top of the color-griping from above, I consider giving this a woodgrain finish an aesthetic downgrade. This item was a favorite building block of mine, so I preferred it’s solid coloring. Also, it looks like it took direct inspiration from the Ikea Kallax, who’s hyper modern style is better complimented with a solid finish anyway.

This probably flies smack in the face of optimization, but a new or different version that’s already perfectly square and solid would be nice.

Chrome trash bin
Just a personal gripe. I love the improved quality of the new chrome trash bin model, but it’s surface is much more frosted than “chrome” now. This is very apparent with how I like to use them, turning them into upside-down pancakes for super reflective metal pedastals.

Old

New

Vault Door
I consider this is one of the coolest items in entire game, but I absolutely detest the tacked-on ramp.

It’s extremely obstructive if you want to place it in any way other than perfectly upright and away from a ledge, but not only that, the bottom side doesn’t have a texture, which I assume if for optimization.
You know what would be even more optimized, though? Just ripping the ramp off entirely. If people want a ramp, they have the tools to easily build one however they like.

Theater Milestone Trophy

Chessboard
I love making this item a decorative centerpiece, but when it draws that much attention, people frequently ask me why I didn’t bother to put all the pieces on it, like it was my decision.

Also, it’d be fucking rad if you could change the color of the white spaces, as well as the color of the corresponding pieces.

Katana
This is just another artistic gripe, but the proportions between the handle and the blade is kinda wild, just sayin’

For reference:

Sedan
I figure this is just an asset ripped from a map, but the sedan could really use an undercarriage, even if it were just flat textures. It’s not unthinkable that someone would want to put this on a garage lift, or a still scene of it flying through the air, or any other scenario where you’d see underneath it

Fancy Sofa & Chair
There’s a gap on the fancy sofa and matching chair.

That’s everything I can think of for now lmao

8 Likes

Thanks for everything. The rocks don’t look how I’d like them to look, and I’ll be working on them more this weekend.

9 Likes

Bed’s got something funny going on the corner sheet.

And following up on the previous post, I noticed more updated items that appear gray when set to white.
Note how this bed and pillow appear against the corduroy couch, despite all these items having the same texture and reset colors.

4 Likes

The kitchen counter and kitchen counter sink need to be completely redone. They don’t fit with each other naturally and scaling them is completely broken. The kitchen sink is also really low quality

3 Likes

Necro bump. Hope this thread is still a thing.

I’ve always liked the standard wooden furniture, but only the pieces with handles let you adjust a secondary color that changes all the exposed, metal hardware bits.

7 Likes

i agree with the color. however you different texture doesnt mean only to change the color. but also the look of the wood (f.e. the black stripes are different, dont know how its called).

5-month bump, but the normal “Chainlink Fence” model is noticeably lower quality than the “Large Barbed Wire Fence” model, and doesn’t really fit in with it.

Metal material isn’t very metallic, is more just white, and chain link material is noticeably pixelated. The fence area also is only selectable from one side.

5 Likes

The texture for the corduroy couch ottoman was never changed with the rest of the corduroy couch pieces which is a little annoying:

8 Likes

Apologies for the bump guys, I was just wondering is this still being worked on?

3 Likes