A Community Discord Server: Tower Underground (Minecraft & GMod!)

NOTE: Due to an almost unanimous decision, I’ve switched back to the vanilla Minecraft server for people to play on. IP and information about joining is available on the Discord server.
Hey everyone. You may have seen my post a few months ago about a Minecraft server I started for the TU community, and it was a blast. Stayed at a consistent and active player count for well over a month, but in recent weeks it’s been increasingly dead so I decided to change it up and ultimately modify the server. The server has now been transformed into a gaming server for members of the TU community with officially hosted servers! The two currently operating are a Modded Minecraft server (as the vanilla one lost interest after a while) and a GMod Sandbox server. It’s being called Tower Underground.

This server is also there to be a more laid back spot to talk about Tower and really anything else. It’s not meant to be as an alternative to the PTG Discord in any way, especially considering the main intent of it isn’t Tower Unite but it’s intended for specifically this community. So if you’re looking for something like that and want to come chat and play games, check it out!

You’ll see information on the Discord about what mods/addons are present on said servers and how to connect to them, but you are absolutely not obligated to play them to join if you’d like to just talk.

We also have plans (but not yet confirmed) to start a:

• Brickadia Server
  • GTA V FiveM Server
  • Terraria Server

…and potentially more in the future if people are interested enough. These are based on an interest by the community and I am open to suggestions (barring system performance).
We also have Catsack (made by @Thomas) to display live updates on multiple sources about TU!
Servers are being hosted in Seattle, Washington, USA on a gigabit connection.

12 Likes

ok ’

I’ve got a few updates for the server and the games I’d like to share! There’s a bunch of stuff coming up soon and changes I’ve made recently so it might be of interest to people here if they’re wondering about other TU communities on Discord/elsewhere.

To start off: The Minecraft server’s main survival world is being reset on December 10th. This is because the server is being upgraded to Spigot or Paper 1.15 as soon as it’s available and many users would like a map reset around this time to have a fresh experience.
As well as this, there will be a SMPEarth-like experience available on the server next week as well. We will be using a 1:1000 scale map of the earth and a factions plugin with built-in dynmap support, and I am currently looking into transport plugins (such as planes/more advanced boats).
There’s also a new hub, a modified version
of the creative server hub made by @MrToots.
Next up, there’s now a custom bot on the server to serve any specific needs the server has! For instance, there is now a live server status channel displaying any potential outages, and custom messages posted by me or the mods regarding maintenance/changes.

As you may see from the server status screenshot, we now have a Terraria server running as well! Currently looking into getting a Discord <-> Terraria chat hook (if anyone has any information on existing mods/plugins that do this, please tell me! having trouble finding any).

I’m currently looking into implementing support to allow users on the GMod server to vote to change the map in case they’re getting bored of the current one, as well as some more advanced prop persistence.

And finally, it’s worth noting that I’ll be working to upgrade the server entirely in February with better hardware to support more servers and a higher load.

tl;dr

• The survival map on the Minecraft server is being reset next week, in tandem with the server’s update to 1.15.
  • Am SMPEarth-like world with 1:1000 scale Earth map is also coming next week. Integrated factions with dynmap.
  • A custom bot with an auto-reloading server status (and potential future features) has been added.
  • Better GMod server user control is coming soon.
  • Coming months: The server will be upgraded to support more servers and a higher load.

Thank you for your interest in this server and in the community! Cheers.

6 Likes