[56K Modem Warning] Tower Unite Discord Development Sneak Peek

Majority of people in UK speak English, so RIP UK players I guess.
I’ll get silenced by US players :disappointed:

How about a UK server, seeing as you have 5 locations for US (6 servers total). It would be nice to have just 1 server for EU region that isn’t Frankfurt.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be better to create separate language-based chat channels?
What if someone from Asia or Europe wants to communicate in English? Their messages will get filtered despite the language.
And how will this change help with the chat being full of languages you don’t understand, if you’re not from America or Australia, where there’s pretty much one common language?

I think separate channels would allow everyone to chat in their preferred languages, without bothering each other.

2 Likes

This is just a filter that you can set, it isn’t forcing anyone into separate channels or forcing anyone to hide anything. If the player wants to hide those servers, that’s on them. They are default all on.

Making channels for each language would separate people further and it would rely on players to actually use the feature. They’d have to select what language channel they prefer, which they could easily not select that and their chat will still get mixed in with other languages. People should be able to speak in any language regardless of what region.

5 Likes

Well, yes, but in my eyes, if people can hide the entirety of a chat of a server, they’ll also end up hiding messages from that server’s residents trying to communicate with everyone in English (or whichever other language), which could make their experience worse. Imagine trying to talk to the entire game, but with half the population not seeing your messages.

Well, as I see it, separation isn’t a bad thing in this case. I don’t think anyone wants to share channels with people who speak different languages. I don’t mean that in a bad way, but I rather think it would be more tidy and easy to use for everyone involved. People speaking minority languages wouldn’t be bothered by the constant stream of English or other less frequently used languages and vice versa. You could even have a channel specifically for English, while keeping the current global chat open for all languages, just the way it’s now.

As for the UI argument, I think a good solution would be making the channels into separate tabs (similar to the way global and local are right now), automatically entering people into global, English and the language associated with their steam nationality and allowing them to manually enter and leave channels as they please.
The tabs would have to function as separate chat rooms.

Then again, I’m speculating a fair bit.

2 Likes

I’m just more concerned at the amount of people bothered with the influx of German global chatters.
Personally I don’t mind, but I know a lot of people will speedily mute EU global and indirectly mute english speakers who reside in the EU as well, like UK residence.
Being a UK citizen this obviously affects me being able to talk with a chunk of US players whom don’t want to put up with foriegn languages flooding the chat.
So I guess I lose out in being chatty with people who speak english across seas.

I just think better filters than simply ‘EU / US’ would be better in this case.
Such as English, Français, Deutsche, русский, etc.
And the player can tick which ones they’d like to filter into global, by default all are on.

7 Likes

February 7th, 2019

Notice: All items below are provided without context. There is NO guarantee anything featured in them will be present in the final release. These items are shown from RAW development. Items are in chronological order, bottom being most recent.

20 Likes

I don’t want to know what happened to the dragon

10 Likes

Give melons a 0,0001% chance of shouting: I am trying to sleep here! (Really deep voice)

2 Likes

(strong russian accent)

3 Likes

@macdguy Anychance battering items could cause that stunned particle effect on players?
Even if it’s just visual only I think it’d be pretty funny~

2 Likes

i mean when this game get famous in the future the chat will be floated with many messages

and yes, Europe has like 50 countries ? sure many different languages get spoken

1:edited

right but i think a lot of English speaking players from US servers are complaining about the German speaking players, and there for they don’t want to see that in their chat, so by blocking the EU region, they block the problem, but they also block people who speak English (etc. people they don’t have a problem with)

Plus, blocking the EU region currently would kill off half your chat activity

I’m trying to figure out what you mean?
I think I understand? however the forums certainly do NOT kill off activity of the in game community.

4 Likes

I think they’re saying that global chat will get killed when the game gets famous? I’m not sure.

2 Likes

But only on some days?

I believe he’s trying to say that it can be hard to use global chat on days where a lot of people are on. This would be because so many people are trying to use chat, which then causes messages to fly by so fast that any attempt at a conversation is impossible. I think that’s what’s being implied, anyways; I’ve never seen that happen myself, but I also don’t get on TU often enough in the first place.

Ah ok thanks for clarifying. I hope no one thought I or others were trying to make fun of him, it was just really hard to know what he said.

edited bc language barrier, and my broken brain xd

1 Like

It’s ok lol.

1 Like

Sword and shield looks fantastic! Its satisfying finally seeing these milestones in action after trying to picture them based of the item manifest/trello card for so long!

1 Like