[0.14.5.1] Sometimes jetpack air strafing gets stuck on after deactivating jetpack

So when you’re normally walking around and whatnot you’re using the Source-like movement right, so like- you can bhop and air strafe and stuff. When you use your jetpack it goes back to the old style/LC style where pressing a movement key just starts moving you that direction, you don’t need to turn the camera. The bug is that sometimes it doesn’t take you out of that state on the client, so bhopping won’t look like it’s working, except on the server side it’s working fine. On your screen you’ll be doing the classic rubberbanding where the game says you should be doing one thing but then that’s fighting the server so it just looks like a laggy mess even if your connection is otherwise fine besides this desync.

Steps to Reproduce

I’ve had this happen quite a bit just from the sheer amount of bhopping I do, but I don’t know what specific things I’m doing besides bhopping that’s causing this to happen.

What I expected to happen

After the jump button is released for it to take me out of the old air movement style on both the client and server sides 100% of the time, allowing me to do smooth looking bhops.

What happened

When the jump button is released sometimes it doesn’t take me out of the air movement style on my client, but does on the server (at least that’s the order I think it’s happening because besides it being visually messed up, the movement is fine). This leads to choppy, inaccurate looking movement while strafing, but you’re actually moving just fine. It just looks/feels bad.

Notes / Media

I happened to have OBS open when is happened so I got a video of it:

Pressing jump to activate your jetpack real quick usually corrects this, which can be seen near the end of the above video. If you compare how the environment moving around me looks at the first part of the video to the last part you should be able to see the desync in action. I will also note that I had to press space a few times to get it to activate the jetpack near the end when I wanted to correct the issue, which you can see by me jumping twice before it activates. These were regular spacebar jumps, not the scroll wheel ones. Also yeah, I use both scroll wheel down to bhop and spacebar to jump, just incase that’s in anyway related.

Was on US East 2 at around 7:23 AM EST on November 9th, 2021. I had between 20 and 30 ping according to the tab menu.

Items equipped in hot bars

Weapon Hot Bar:

• Magic Trampoline ← Active
  • Firework Launcher
  • Wowozela
  • Spooky Wowozela
  • Fishing Rod
  • None
  • None
  • Ice Potion

Wearable Hot Bar:

• Text Hat
  • Radar
  • Angel Wings
  • Super Power Jetpack
  • Angel Pet
  • Angel Pet
  • None
  • None
Bonus Lore

In version 0.14.0.0 there was a thing that fixed using your jetpack locking you into that old movement style after using the jetpack, which would have made this not be a thing since there was nothing to be desynced. After that update you could air strafe and gain momentum with it while using your jetpack which also made this not an issue since there wasn’t an instance of you going into that old movement style, however soon after in 0.14.1.0 it was made so that while you were actively using the jetpack it would do the not use Source-like air strafing, which left room for this desync to take place. I think.

Changes mentioned:

2 Likes

It seems that with the recent networking changes this might have been worsened. I couldn’t tell if it was just like placebo, with me thinking it felt like it was happening more often since I was maybe being nitpicky with the new movement, but I’ve noticed it happening in my own condo, which I had never had happen previously.

Bumping a post this old seems kinda whiny but it’s exhibiting different behavior so I thought it might be worth mentioning.