I'm not happy with the teased Catsack playermodel

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY OPINION, HOWEVER OTHER PEOPLE MIGHT SHARE IT WITH ME. IT IS NOT 100% FACT, AND STATEMENTS MAY BE INCORRECT.

A recent sneak peak ([56K Modem Warning] Tower Unite Discord Development Sneak Peek) cryptically showed a playermodel that resembles a basic, smooth, spherical and humanoid interpretation of a catsack.

I’m not happy with this if it’ll be in the final game.

Let me explain why:

First off, it looks even more out of place than the bouncing giant animated milk carton with floating limbs. Half of this is due to how short it is, but the other half is due to how I think it doesn’t fit with the style of Tower Unite. Even the milk carton has some theme consistency, along with the rest of the game. This thing just looks like it was made with a different theme.

Second of all, it looks cringy. This playermodel looks like what a person creating their “oc” would make, even more so knowing that the design is based off an existing game object. In my opinion, having both the playermodel and the catsack exist in the game just feels wrong. The playermodel also looks too unrealistic to be in the game. The closest this model compares to is the cat and dog characters, but even them have some realism and theme consistency associated with them. The catsack in-game, while “cute” and silly, still keeps some consistency to it. Also, while the milk carton isn’t really realistic, at least the body looks like it would fit as a condo item.

I’ve probably missed some things out in what I wanted to say. I just think that seeing this in the game would really put me off.

Yes, I know that all the player models are not final (and might even be remade/replaced). You might not even implement this catsack playermodel (but then why did you make and show it??) I wanted to give my opinion on this model, in hopes that it won’t be like that in the final game.
Although, even having any catsack-themed playermodel is bad in my eyes I’ll be fine if this model was made to fit the theme of TU. Maybe make it look like it’s a mascot costume or something? Making the catsack into an actual new character seems out of place to me.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree with me? Am I missing anything out? Please add a reply with your opinion, and detail your perspective on this.

No-one said it’s finished, or that it’s gonna be added

Also, I don’t find the playermodel cringy. A full-on furry model is something I’d have a problem with, but I have nothing againts a Gumball-like cat avatar. It’s pretty cute and reminds me of Nick cartoons. Also, I think we dropped the last bit of realism when we added jetpacks to the game.

7 Likes

Nobody said the thing was going to be added to the game. Importing a model is different from including it in an official release as a player model.
Design wise I don’t mind the thing, it’s pretty cute. Although I feel like there is some favoritism considering the creator of it is friends with Zak.

Why would they feature the model otherwise? This was obviously planned to be used in the game, and I wanted to express my opinion about it.

There’s quite a lot of shit in the game that isn’t actually used, and is made or imported for the fun of the devs.

2 Likes

A jetpack is more realistic than a walking milk carton.

Expanding on what I mean by “realism”, I mean in the sense that the theme of the game seems to be of realistic-looking “fantasy”.

Honestly, does the catsack playermodel fit with the lobby or condo landscapes?

I don’t think it’s that bad a fit. Wacky stuff is a good thing. It’s not much crazier than the catsacks itself, or anything in planet panic, a map being a giant toyroom, killing a dragon by pushing a button on its back, etc.

4 Likes

The game modes have more content to back up their unique but somewhat consistant theme. This humanoid catsack can’t even be related to the sack it’s based of, style wise. While I expect this game to have a lot of differing content within its existing game mode themes, it’s not a garry’s mod, and one-off objects with no theme to link it to is not a good idea imo

To correct what I said, when I meant realism, I actually meant just the theme of TU in general. Everything in TU has a consistent theme. This catsack playermodel doesn’t fit in this theme in this state.

If it was made to fit the current playermodel themes, then sure, it’ll be fine.

I think it could fit, if it looked like someone in a mascot costume as opposed to something that dips into the uncanny valley.

5 Likes

Honestly my biggest problem with the model would be its hitboxes in stuff like Virus and Laser tag

It’s however very possible the video was just a joke. Emoji-for-face arm-bearing catsacks dancing to the tune of an Allstar remix were also featured in the development thread, and no-one expects them to be added to the game

3 Likes

Someone pointed this out in the 56k modem thread.

That wasn’t an All Star remix.

1 Like

I remember in an old dev stream for virus, they said they wouldn’t give different player models advantages over others.

I also think the catsasck playermodel is out of place, he’s small and forced into the game, ok pixeltail we get it you made a meme which is the catsack, why force it in?

3 Likes

This isn’t about realism, it’s about adding playermodels to the game that don’t fit it at all and also make players unhappy.
My next statement will offend someone for sure but I just want to mention that some people HATE furry stuff and try to avoid it as much as they can. Whether or not this new playermodel can be called furry is debatable but in favor of my argument, I’ll just assume it is.
It’s easy to avoid the furry statues in the art gallery by just… not going there. A playermodel, however, can not be easily avoided. And that will furiously piss a portion of the playerbase off.

I’d rather have a knight playermodel, an astronaut playermodel and actually good looking male and female playermodels. Anything but this.

5 Likes

The catsack is Tower Unite’s mascot. As for the model you are referring to, it cannot be used in Game Worlds.

Also, it was always planned to have more crazy and unique player models. TU does not have a realistic tone at all. You can play as a milk carton and skeleton.

Lobby also does not have any official lore.

Also, I am getting a little tired of threads popping up based on the discord WIP media posts as none of that has any context or confirmation the thing you are seeing will be in the game. I understand you have some issues with the latest media, but without context it is quite hard to know what you actually saw and the various discussions behind it.

There also is no favoritism. This creation was made by Krionikal after seeing fan art on a literal whim. Zak had nothing to do with its creation or approving it.

With all that said, I personally find the model to fit TU as it is light hearted in tone, just like Little Crusaders. And it is not part of any prior fandom or existing copyright.

I would also like to add that that Workshop will completely break any sort of theme, just as GMT did for its player models.

22 Likes

Yes, I was wrong about the realism, however the lobby/condo scenery sure looks to have somewhat of a realistic art style and theme, and so do the skeleton and the other existing player models. This is what I meant, I just poorly worded it.

I made this post to give my feedback on the model before it was too late and would get ignored. I know that this might not even be in the game, however if I said nothing it might’ve been implemented as-is.

I’m not against the catsack, but I feel that having it as a playable character doesn’t seem right to me. I currently can’t explain it properly, but its related to the whole “existing playermodels and keeping with themes” thing.

Lastly, as cool as it would be to have a variety of unique player models, I think it would be nice if they kept to a theme, and not be too different to existing models. While workshop will definitely go against this, I think it would be nice if the official content kept to reasonably sensible parameters, themes, consistencies, whatever its called that relates to keeping the playermodels fitting and not alien. Workshop can have whatever it feels like, as long as I don’t have to see it.

Of course, this is all my opinion. None of this is 100% how you should do things, but I wanted to give my feedback while its somewhat relevant and before I forgot.

Look, I just want to give my feedback in case it helps or something. I feel that having too many varying things with too much differentiation could deter a group of people off. Having that wacky stuff optional would be beneficial for appealing to those demographics.

I do love the game. Keep up the work.

2 Likes

It is planned to allow players to play as Little Crusader characters which do not fit any sort of theme that Lobby has. I feel this is no different to that scenario.

We also have cat and dog pets that follow players around which are a very different theme as well.

6 Likes

This cat playermodel has only the colour scheme of the catsack to support it (and pre-existing drawings of this cat, I guess (some of which are official, not fanmade. I have to point that out before someone claims I ignored that they made this sorta character before). The other examples you gave belong to existing game worlds that have been somewhat fleshed out a bit. I say that they follow a solidified theme; maybe not lobby specifically.

Sorry, it’s just that seeing the catsack not in its sack form is a bit odd and out of the ordinary.

Yes, the same thing can be said about the milk carton, however I’m not used to seeing that milk carton as a condo item.

I just wanted to give my perspective, that’s all. Maybe it’s not what you want.

1 Like