How did you get attached to Tower Unite/GMod Tower and why?

I’ve always been wondering about this. What made you get attached to Tower Unite or GMod Tower in the first place and why? Was it that it looked interesting, out of curiosity, playing it just for a friend, or something else?
I’m really interested to know.

My story
Back in 2012, as part of an annual Christmas charity event, a group of people on YouTube played GMod Tower. Since I never play multiplayer on GMod, I got really curious on what it was. As soon as I started watching the video, I fell in love with it. Unfortunately, the launcher to add the content to GMod (before the content was uploaded to the workshop) refused to download the Lobby map, and I left stuck there for half a year.

During the Summer of 2013, the anticipation for playing GMod Tower built up, and I eventually went to MacDGuy’s Steam page to try and find a way to get the Lobby map to download. It was there I found out that the content for GMod Tower was uploaded to the workshop. After downloading the workshop collection and joining the server for the first time, I’ve never been more happier in my entire life.

That feeling you get after trying to do something for a long time and then finally achieving what you desired, bringing satisfaction and relief to you, just never felt any better…

I made a post about my history a while ago, but to put it short, I joined because of the Yogscast, as they made a mini series about the server. I was so interested in the suite, it’s just the idea of having your own virtual, fully customizable hang out. AWESOME :grinning:
I joined in 2015, about 2 months before lobby 2 was released (which I was also a beta tester for.)

1 Like

A friend of mine told me about GMT a long time ago, and a few months (or probably years) later I had remembered that GMT was a thing, although I wasn’t quite sure what it was. I joined GMT a few years before the release of Lobby 2 and I really enjoyed playing on it. The most interesting things that kept me interested in GMT was the catchy achievement system (mainly the audible fanfare and confetti when you earn an achievement), the Lobby 1 map itself (enjoyable to explore and play games/trivia and participate in random events), and the goal I had set to buy a specific playermodel. GMT was and usually still is literally my only reason for playing Garry’s Mod.

Then interest started fading. I had no reason to continue playing, so I went away to do my own thing for a while. Finally, when I had seen the Lobby 2 trailer, I had interest all over again for GMT. Unfortunately, GMT wasn’t the same for me then as it was in Lobby 1. The new places were nice, but there wasnt much to do in the Lobby, and all of the newness of GMT was gone. Nowadays I’d play GMT for Ballrace, but not much else.

At one point when playing Garry’s Mod, I had decided to play GMT for a little bit. It was then that I had heard of their new project, Tower Unite. I don’t remember where I had heard of this, perhaps from the theatre, but it was nearing the end of the Indiegogo campaign. I decided to donate enough to it to have two alpha keys, despite not regularly playing GMT. I made an account here because I had donated, and was willing to give some suggestions right off from the start. I’m hoping that TU will gain some gameplay element to make it engaging, but for now I’m fine just checking out each update and searching for glitches and exploits (probably the most enjoyable things to do with early games).

In conclusion, I wasn’t necessarily attached to GMT as much as just using it off and on. I had the best moments in Lobby 1, but after everything was done I wasn’t nearly as active anymore. TU seems promising, but in the meantime I’ll just play for a completely different purpose than normal.

Yogscast.

2 Likes

Exam revision procrastination

2 Likes

I was browsing the Workshop for playermodels and stumbled upon Gmod Tower Playermodels. I had seen the name before in the Yogscast Gmod Playlist.

I looked up the game a few months later watched a bunch of Youtube videos from guys like EatMyDiction and Captain Sparkelz and then eventually joined the server. I played for 2 hours but it was evident that my shitty 2009 budget laptop wasn’t going to cope with Tower so I left.

It wasn’t the end for me and Tower however as I would occasionally check in on the development of the game. I got too see Lobby 2 grow over a year or so and by the time it released I had a new mid end PC and was ready to experience Tower.

The servers were sort of going nuts for the first weekend of release as I’m sure many of you will remember but after a couple days of trying to get in I experienced Tower and loved it.

I joined GMT around December 2013, after I saw gameplay of it on Youtube then finally got Gmod and CSS.

So, part of the reason I got Gmod was for GMT.

Here’s me in lobby 1.

I joined in 2009 when browsing through various servers.

[quote=“Link, post:4, topic:5126, full:true”]
Yogscast.
[/quote] Looks like we are on the same boat.

2 Likes

I had been playing GMod sandbox and TTT before my brother told me about it, and then I joined in late 2013. Found out about TU in early 2015 from my brother again, after I had been on a break from playing GMT. I thought it was kind of stupid at first, but I backed the Kickstarter for $10 early bird. I was mildly surprised after it failed, but I wasn’t that concerned, but I then backed the Indiegogo and I’ve been enthusiastic about the game ever since then and ever since I joined the forums.

I joined Gmod Tower for a minute and saw missing textures because I was too stupid to install the workshop packs

A month later I decided to give it a shot, did everything right, and there I was

I was addicted to putting more upgrades and more homely stuff into the condo. Love the idea of working for a better place to live. :smiley:

Gmod Cinema circa 2014, 1100 hours so far in it

Heard about it from DasBoSchitt who told me something about GMT. Donated for VIP but never joined the server until I heard that they were launching a Kickstarter.

Weirdly enough, I first heard of GMT through some fanart posted on the Freelance Astronauts’ website. You know the donor-only Ballion ball? Yeah, it was a picture of that.
Anyway, that led me to some preview videos of the GMT beta, and it seemed so freakin’ awesome at the time that I was hyped about it all the way to release. Then GMT actually released, and after a few days of using the “auto-retry” function on the server browser, I finally got in, walked around in mild amazement, played Ballrace, and couldn’t get back into the lobby.
The rest between then and the first GMT Shutdown is a bit of a blur, but I remember having fun just hanging out on there, especially during the Movie Nights. After a while, I stopped playing, and started again after the revival, and played off and on again since.
Lobby 2 was nice, but didn’t end up sucking me back in. TU, though, seems like something that I could have a lot of fun with my friends (who have never played GMT), and kinda feels like what I was expecting Lobby 2 to be like.

So there, GMT life story, bam.

1 Like

Just…the way it sounded. I can’t even describe how I felt when I first found out about it. Maybe entranced.

Loved it ever since.

I was searching for cool Garry’s mod gamemodes.
Found this thread on facepunch forum, listing all the gamemodes
I was scrolling down, and noticed this name…
“Gmod Tower”
“Propably a gamemode where you build a giant tower”, I thought to myself.
"I’d like that, building a tower out of props…
I clicked on it…
read…
then the Club penguin flashbacks kicked in…
that’s how I got hooked.

3 Likes

I got attached to Gmod Tower because I wanted a change from my usual DarkRP gameplay on Garrys Mod.
Then I had a look at some most popular Gmod Maps, and I saw stuff relating to Gmod Tower.

“Hmm…” I thought, “Gmod Tower Looks good, I should try it.”

First time I found out it was a wide open theme park like Nintendo Land! And it had some good games. Minigolf interested me the most. And after a good solid few months of awesomeness I had to appreciate the joy of the gamemode.

Also, I played some other Pixeltail Game Modes like Cinema, and Elevator Source.

And since I enjoyed it so much, I had to get Tower Unite when it came out on EA!

The full story is in my Condo if you want to read it.

7 Likes

3 Likes