Workshop Item Skins

Currently, if you’d like to make for example a custom computer monitor that displays different things on each monitor or a car with different paint jobs, you’d need to upload a separate model for every variation of the texture(s). I think it would be great to have a system similar to Garry’s Mod in that you can place a model, and after placement can change the texture to different variations from a pre-defined list made in the workshop editor.

In this case, the barrel can be changed to allow for different colors (in gmod).
Each “skin” could have a maximum of 2 or 3 materials (if using the skin system) and there would be a maximum of 10 or so skins for a model (if I recall correctly the reason for the material limit isn’t for file size, but due to optimization/rendering so quantity of textures isn’t as much of an issue?) Of course said workshop model would still need to comply with the file size limit. This would allow for a very flexible means of using a base model and applying variations in the model while not having to upload a new model each time. It works great in Garry’s Mod, and I think it’d work great here!

Tl:dr Gmod bodygroups for work shop items &Playermodels. Like how you can select the different clothing items types on the default character

7 Likes

Yeah, i suggested this as well, and totally agree. +1 vote, could be used for toonshaders on playermodels as well.

Ye, I could bundle up a couple of model variations I got into a single entity.

1 Like

Reviving this topic, because it’s an really good idea, and seemingly, it haven’t gathered too many votes. Come on people, that is such good thing that could be added! Let’s wait and see if any developers give a response regarding this particular suggestion.

1 Like