Workshop and units

Is using workshop content going to cost any units? I’m a little bit worried about it, since furniture is one of the biggest moneysinks in the game and making it practically free would remove a big reason to earn and spend units.
I think a set, above-average price to “import” a single item would work.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t think so. Workshop-made furniture is going to be separate from official furniture, so it wouldn’t make sense for it to cost “official” units used in Pixeltail servers.

1 Like

The thing is, you’ll be able to use the items in official servers/condos connected to them. It’s not going to be separated at all (I’m pretty sure).

1 Like

someone could make a cosmic catsack model and put it on the workshop for people to place in their condo

There will be massive tags on the tooltip that denotes it’s a workshop item. Workshop items will have no Unit cost.

2 Likes

people could just port furniture models into the workshop so they won’t have to buy them anymore

Which is why the tag exists. You can easily tell if the item is legit or not.

2 Likes

I don’t mean this to sound rude or anything, but what would be the point of buying furniture after workshop is out? I think a better system would be to have the devs each week choose some furniture to be added to the game and have the creator make a little bit of units each time it’s purchased.

EDIT: but then copyrighted items wouldn’t get into the game

8 Likes

Maybe the devs can approve items and add them to the workshop store?

6 Likes

or have a workshop store where anybody can put anything up for sale and either they get units based off how many were sold or have a special item that keeps track of the number.

Thanks for the response, but that doesn’t solve the problem.

Furniture is a big money sink in this game. Making workshop furniture free would
a) Remove one of the biggest motivations to earn units (if I want a chair, I can get one for free from the workshop)
b) Allow people to rip and reupload items already in the game
c) Remove value from official items- currently, you have to work for a fully furnitured condo, and showing it off feels rewarding. You can easily tell if a person’s put a lot of effort into his place or not

The thing is, I don’t think people care about the “genuiness” and “tags” of items. A chair is a chair and a sofa is a sofa and if you’re grinding for items you can get for free, you’re just sad.

6 Likes

maybe have workshop furniture only be used in community condos

1 Like

We have more to discuss with Workshop and as development goes with it, we’ll be bringing up all these talking points again.

7 Likes

Eh, that’d be a waste, I think
I’m for a somewhat expensive set price for a single instance of an item, or even higher price for unlimited copies of it. That’d be fair for both casual players and builders, give people a reason to care about vanilla furniture and allow for a pretty rewarding endgame

Ah, thanks for reconsidering
Glad our opinions have been heard

1 Like

Hmm, what about a system like this? Instead of just getting the Workshop items for free, you purchase “Workshop Item” items? They’d be available in a range of different sizes (infinitesimal, small, medium, large, gigantic, etc) and be priced somewhat higher than most normal items of their size.

Each item in and of itself isn’t anything more than a box. If you edit the box, you can choose which currently subscribed Workshop item you want it to be. The item can be swapped out as desired. Each Workshop item, then, is assigned a size automatically (probably just based on volume or something simple). If the Workshop item is of the same size or smaller, then you can set the item to that Workshop item. If you want a condo full of cool Workshop things, it’ll still require a bit of grinding. This would also prevent copying of official items because it’s no longer cheaper to do so.

3 Likes

Personally, I don’t have an issue with the Workshop items being free. It’s better to have them than to not, and I would consider the catsacks to be the ultimate money sink if people won’t put themselves through grinding for furniture. Not sure exactly why grinding of all things is encouraged in this game, it’s supposed to be a party game.

1 Like

That would be a terrible idea. My idea would be to approve each workshop item and put a reasonable price, which can be sold on the Workshop store in the plaza. We’ll hear what the devs have in mind though.

4 Likes

The problem I have with approval based items is that, well, they need someone to approve them. I like systems that work even after everyone on the dev team has moved on and there is zero support for the game. I’m totally fine with community items being approved and ascended to official items, but I don’t want to come back in 20 years to find that there’s no new items simply because no one wanted to sift through all the submissions as opposed to working on the next big thing.

3 Likes

I agree with this but then what would be the point in earning units if everything is free? That’s the only problem I have with the workshop

1 Like