[Windows 10] Keylogger Alert! Disable It ASAP!

For those of you who are not aware, Windows 10 has been loaded with a keylogger since you installed it. Make sure you disable it by going into the settings. It is very easy to do and I highly recommend it. This page will show you how to do it:

Also, while you’re in the settings menu, you may want to disable this setting as well:

11 Likes

I’m still on Windows 7 since I am either too stingy or too dumb to upgrade (although 7 seems to work perfectly fine for me) but I do appreciate you helping everybody out <3

1 Like

Nice, glad to hear it! Keep an eye out for the next thread I’m about to post in about 5-10 minutes on windows 7/8. We’ve also been targeted by Microsoft as well. :wink:

Edit: [Windows 7/8] Windows Updates To Avoid! "Telemetry"

(Just my opinion, but I don’t really care about this, it’s not like they’re going around stealing my accounts and whatnot, Imo it’s there to collect user data in the sense of what other companies already do on a regular basis)

If you’re okay with giving up your privacy, more power to you. But some of us don’t want everything we do being tracked and logged down to our name, Windows CD Key, and IP address. Plus it slows your computer down for no reason.

It’s the same type of situation with the NSA logging every packet being sent. They don’t need that information right now. But if they ever need blackmail on someone, they just need to check the file. (Yeah I know, tin foil hats and w/e. I’m big on privacy.)

3 Likes

I personally don’t feel like digging in to all this, and I understand completely that privacy is important (Partially why I don’t do anything “Important” on my primary desktop). That’s more or less why I said what I did. Thanks for taking the time to inform us all though, I’m sure it’ll help someone!

1 Like

is it being sent to Microsoft and in what way? that really what I am thinking about.

Yo windows 7 is still the bomb, I’m still rocking it too.

2 Likes

I know I may sound dumb, but may I ask what keyloggers are?

as the name would imply, they’re programs that can log your keyboard inputs, IE: you type a question into cortana, and it gets logged

Ah, I see.
Yeah, that’s definitely creepy. I’ll make sure to disable those when I get home

Good thing I don’t have 10, and never will. I know it can be awesome after you’ve disabled everything, but I just can’t be bothered when 8.1 still has support until 2023.

Doing the same thing. Who needs DX12? And Windows 8.1 has no driver issues with graphic cards so far!

@J_P Linux might have taken over the desktop by then. Linux is everywhere dominant except on the desktop. Microsoft won’t be able to keep it up.

1 Like

better disable this so windows 10 doesn’t know about my top secret government files and illegal online drug cartels.

4 Likes

Still a Windows 7 user and proud of it. Gonna use it till the last day of its support, and by the time support for W7 drops, I’ll switch to Linux I guess, that one should be dominant at the desktop by then.

2 Likes

huh, its disabled for me already, i guess its not on by default anymore

A keylogger is a type of surveillance software (considered to be either software or spyware) that has the capability to record every keystroke you make to a log file, usually encrypted. A keylogger recorder can record instant messages, e-mail, and any information you type at any time using your keyboard. The log file created by the keylogger can then be sent to a specified receiver. Some keylogger programs will also record any e-mail addresses you use and Web site URLsyou visit.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/K/keylogger.html

A couple searches on the net with the words keylogger and windows 10 give you several good results. Pretty much everyone starts off by saying they didn’t believe the claims too. Most people assume Microsoft would never do anything like this. We’re skeptical of the fact they would put use malware on their entire userbase. I mean, it’s insane. Why would they do that, right? And then the writer proceeds to tell you about how they are sorry that they were horribly wrong, and Windows 10 does in fact contain a keylogger.

At the time I defended Microsoft, pointing out that the Preview was “intended for testing, not day-to-day use,” and that Microsoft recommended against installing the Preview on a computer with sensitive files. I said that “I seriously doubt that the worst spyware features will remain in the finished product.”

I was wrong.
How to turn off Windows 10's keylogger (yes, it still has one) | PCWorld

That’s nice. I guarantee it’s still on by default though, because I have personally had to disable it on 3 different computers.

Same, it does everything I need and doesn’t seem to have any compatibility issues. I bought Win8 in 2014 but never even installed it. I mean… if it works, don’t fix it, right?

PS: There’s also this setting some users might want to disable.

1 Like

FYI, this falls under “Customization Settings” during your initial install. Windows 8 had similar settings.

During your initial setup for Windows 8 and above, you come to a screen that asks if you want to use Express Settings. In Windows 8, there was an accompanying text that offers custom settings, but in Windows 10 they make it less prominent (much smaller text, buried in the bottom left corner).

If you simply turn everything off in the customize settings, you can later reactivate what you want to on an as needed basis.

Yeah, by default, Windows 10 will log pretty much everything. It’s partially to integrate with tools like Cortana, but I’m sure MS uses the info for things people don’t want them applying it to a well.

Be smart about what you do and who you trust on your computer, people.

This ended 12 days ago

(can’t you people read the text at the top right of a post?)

People can contribute to discussion if they want to.