Where do I start?

I want to learn how to make Unreal Engine 4 maps and programs (preferably in blueprint), my past experience is a little HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. My question is, should I just learn on my own, or take a class, and, what part of UE4 should I start learning first? Mapping? Blueprint? Programming? 3D Modelling? I have no idea where to start, and hopefully you guys can help. Thank you in advance!

Since you mentioned you wanted to use blueprints, I’d suggest blueprints. You don’t have experience in C++, as you say, so coding’s out of the question, and it doesn’t seem like you have modeling experience, so that’s out of the question as well. Although you can do some basic mapping with the built-in meshes, brushes, and terrain, you can’t do much else without resorting to a 3d modeling program.
As for learning, blueprints aren’t that hard to learn, really. You can either go the route of just looking through the templates and working off of them, or look up a few YouTube tutorials and learn from those. Classes aren’t necessary, IMO.

1 Like

OK, thanks! :smile: I was thinking blueprints were the best route anyways, but I just needed to be sure. Thank you! :new_moon_with_face: (and yes, I am currently undecided in the New moon v. Smiley war.)

1 Like

Check out the Ue4 marketplace. You can get some assets there that help you building levels. The official level design tutorial is good as well:

However before that you might want to do a more general project in UE4:

EDIT: yeah :new_moon_with_face:

2 Likes

I did Game Design in uni for 2 years in UE4, and one more year coming so this is just my Opinion, but UE4 blueprints are a good learning curve if you have basic understanding if coding (especially the IF statements) but don’t actually… know any.
UE4’s site and Forum sites have a good few tutorials to get you started, but you’ll pick things up as you go. God knows I did. I wouldn’t worry about the modelling aspect for a while. there’s freebies everywhere if its for personal use.

Good luck getting started! :new_moon_with_face:

2 Likes

Hey there Tanooki, it’s nice to see another person taking a liking to UE4. :smiley:

Blueprints are very useful, but I will note that they can be a little slow/laggy. A blueprint will freeze your game until the blueprint completes. So there are times when knowing C++ coding can be extremely useful. (Eg: Things that are done very frequently are better with C++) It’s really easy to learn blueprints though, they are a form of visual coding.

I would highly recommend starting with Epic’s tutorials themself. If you go into your Epic Games Launcher, go into the ‘Learn’ tab and check out a few of their videos there.

For a good place to start… There is also an Epic Games Youtube that posts tutorials here:

If you want to learn some C++, follow these tutorials.

World of Level Design also has a some decent tutorials.

3 Likes

Thank you for the help, I am actually looking at all the parts of UE4 right now, I’ll decide what I want to do once I find what I’m good at, and depending on how good I am in everything, I might plan a secret project! :new_moon_with_face: Thank you guys for the support!

3 Likes