Weekly Dev Log for November 28th, 2023

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Weekly Dev Log for November 28th, 2023, detailing all the changes that have happened since November 20th, 2023. Note: Devs that don’t appear in the weekly log are not necessarily away or not doing work, but may be working on things currently not announced or backend work that doesn’t need to be detailed.

Tower Unite Merch - Plushie Survey: Round 2!

We are going to make another Tower Unite plush with Makeship, and we want to know what plush you’d want them to make this time!

Vote and help us decide what character from Tower Unite should become a physical plush!

Voting will be open until Friday (Dec 1st) at 11:59 PM PST.

You can vote here!

Tower Unite End of 2023 Survey

It’s time for another gameplay survey!

Give feedback on Tower Unite’s development.

The survey will be open until December 21st.

Fill out the survey here!

November 2023 Art Contest

It’s time for another art contest!

There’s no theme this time. The submission just needs to be related to Tower Unite!

Entries are allowed until December 7th, 2023 at 11:59PM CT.

Be sure to check out the prizes and follow the rules here!

Plaza

@Johanna continued working on the boardwalk, as well as the art pass of the Ferris Wheel. She also worked on fixes for the winter plaza.

@Wheezwer worked on the texture for the Ferris Wheel star.

Plaza: Old vs New Ferris Wheel Carriage WIP

Plaza: New Boardwalk Art WIP

Miscellany

@Joshua continued working on the new workshop skeleton, as well as holiday items.

@Lifeless worked on optimizing Containership and Frostbite.

@macdguy worked on fixing some issues with the optimization update. He fixed various bugs with Accelerate and worked on the upcoming holiday quests.

@Nuclearxpotato worked on some new holiday items and condo materials.

@Sketchman continued working on optimizations.

@Will worked on music for Containership.

Wrap It Up

That about covers everything that happened since November 20th, 2023 at PixelTail Games.

Join our Discord for development updates and community fun!
https://discord.gg/pixeltail
We love awesome people like you!

Follow our developments on our Trello in near real-time:
https://trello.com/b/6BwRMiPw/tower-unite-roadmap

Take a peek at what’s being worked on every week in our weekly dev logs! There’s bound to be something interesting every week!
https://forums.pixeltailgames.com/c/devupdates/weekly-dev-logs

Please report bugs & submit suggestions on our forums. We’re active everyday & here to help.
For bug reports: https://forums.pixeltailgames.com/c/bug-report/18
For suggestions: https://forums.pixeltailgames.com/c/suggestions/7

Support PixelTail Games with Ko-Fi

Support PixelTail Games on Patreon

Checkout Tower Unite Merch on Redbubble

<3 PixelTail Games

20 Likes

YEAH BABYYY—lobby 2 mini-beach enjoyers eating goooood tonight!

12 Likes

Holy christ! I’m really liking the look of this new art style too - the more I see it, the more I like it!

7 Likes

Just one question though, will the new artwork for the Ferris wheel also be applied to the milestone, or will it be only for the one in the Plaza?

Got an answer. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Holy moly the boardwalk is lookin fine as hell

7 Likes

Got me all excited for spring :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Ohhh I love the way the new beach looks! And the Ferris wheel getting a bit of love is nice to see :3

4 Likes

I also like the fact there’s a lower platform for players who want to do any fishing.

1 Like

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN. When’s that new boardwalk dropping? It looks insane. I’m so excited for that.

1 Like

I’ve seen that the Roll and Race stall’s been moved to where the Typing Derby is - what’s that new stall gonna be, I wonder (where R&R used to be). :thinking:

It was featured in last week’s devlog. They haven’t said what it is yet.

1 Like

Ah, OK - they’ll probably let us know soon then.

The new boardwalk looks awesome!

3 Likes

New workshop skeleton?

So is it going to be a brand new Playermodel skeleton or is it going to be a skeleton for something else in Tower Unite? Cause ngl, if it’s an updated Playermodel Skeleton, it’s going to be a nightmare to get my 29 workshop addons setup.

It’s a new skeleton, but we have backwards compatibility with existing player models.

4 Likes

I worry that the extensions and additions to the boardwalk is going to make the scene busier and more computationally expensive to render, as I’ve already noticed a drop in performance in that area after the new boardwalk games were added, and this became more noticeable when the winter plaza was rolled in.

I find that it’s hard to maintain a stable framerate in some areas of the plaza lately, with a 3.50GHz i5 and an RTX 3060. Task manager seems to suggest that the CPU is taking the biggest hit.

3 Likes

These performance drops aren’t related to the artwork and there’s optimizations being made in the next update that addresses these concerns and drops in performance.

5 Likes

thats defenitely something like pluck-a-pal and cow wheel thing, like theres a lot of toys on the river and you need to catch them like in balloon pop

The only other thing I could think of is “Hook a Duck”, but anyway, we’ll see when the devs bring it up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes