Weekly Dev Log for January 27th, 2020

Weekly Dev Log for January 27th, 2020

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Weekly Dev Log for January 27th, 2020, detailing all the changes that have happened since January 21st, 2020. Note: Devs that don’t appear in the weekly log are not necessarily away or not doing work, but may be working on things currently not announced or backend work that doesn’t need to be detailed.

Unreal Engine 4.19 Migration

We’ve begun the final stages of the migration of Tower Unite from Unreal Engine 4.18 to Unreal Engine 4.19. This engine migration allows us to take advantage of the major networking improvements that Epic Games made to Unreal Engine for use in Fortnite, among other things. You can view our current progress with the engine migration here.

Once this engine migration is complete, and initial testing is completed, we’ll be releasing the 4.19 version of Tower Unite to the public as an update to look for more subtle things that may have broken during the migration. Once all the kinks are worked out, our next major update after the 4.19 migration will be Arcade Phase 1.

Arcade Progress

@macdguy worked on finishing up the gameplay for “Lonely Gun 30XX”, while also adding the top screen component and implementing the music created by @Will. He also added an animated hoop net to “Super Hoopers”, while also preparing arcade items for implementation.

@macdguy and @Caboose700 finished creating achievements, stats, and leaderboards and uploaded them to Steam.

@Madmijk continued working on “Captain Calypso’s Planetary Piano”, while also adding logic to the Modern Disco Ball item.

@Sketchman started working on arcade achievement icons.

@Will continued worked on music and sounds for the arcade.

@Wheezwer finished up the upgraded “Wheely Rigged” art, and started working on art for another machine.

Lonely Gun 30XX Gameplay w/ Music WIP

Super Hoopers Animated Hoop Net

Modern Disco Ball Arcade Item

Minigolf: Waterhole

@Johanna began a polishing pass on the Minigolf map, Waterhole.

Minigolf: Waterhole Polishing Pass WIP

Minigolf: Sandbar

@Johanna began working on a HD Remaster of the Minigolf map, Sandbar from GMod Tower.

Minigolf: Sandbar WIP

Cooking

@joshua continued working on items for Cooking, including Sushi, Pies, Steak, and Juice.

Cooking Items WIP

Updated Steam Guide

@ThisIsntNath updated our official guide on Steam. You can check it out here.

Miscellany

@Caboose700 worked on getting the new server infrastructure for the Plaza servers online.

@Lifeless continued working on the new gameworlds ports.

@Sketchman and @macdguy worked on upgrading the engine to Unreal Engine 4.19.

@Wheezwer continued working on designs for merch.

Wrap It Up

That about covers everything that happened since January 21st, 2020 at PixelTail Games.

32 Likes

Woah!
Awesome work guys!

1 Like

OH SNAP!

9 Likes

Nice Work

1 Like

Arcade continues to look and sound absolutely stunning.

ALSO MY TWO FAVOURITE GOLF MAPS RETURN TO GLORY YES!

2 Likes

so wait is this a re-textured update or a another brand new remaster map from gmod tower?
sorry im just confused on looking how new this looks and feels like Gmod tower styled texture.

1 Like

[quote=“Caboose700, post:1, topic:36130”]

Minigolf: Waterhole

@Johanna began a polishing pass on the Minigolf map, Waterhole.

Minigolf: Waterhole Polishing Pass WIP

Minigolf: Sandbar

@Johanna began working on a HD Remaster of the Minigolf map, Sandbar from GMod Tower.

Minigolf: Sandbar WIP

birb

5 Likes

I mean, Waterhole is already in the game, so not really a “brand new remaster”, probably just a cool new look and some other minor changes.

What is brand new to Tower Unite is my best friend Sand Bar!

Oh boy, Malaria soda! I can’t wait.

6 Likes

thank god they are finally adding lean to TU, how was I supposed to pour up?

3 Likes

Sushi???

with wasabi???

you just met your maker at this point, and that maker, is my big empty growling stomach :smile_cat:

1 Like

Looking great! Can’t wait to try it all out. Migration is going to be an amazing challenge but you guys have a wounderfull team.

1 Like

11 Likes

I cannot wait to remake this classic in TU.

p.s. that sashimi lookin tasty af.

4 Likes

Holy cow, while I am very excited for everything here, especially that cool looking modern Disco ball… every piece of food has looked delicious and I cannot wait for Cooking

1 Like

Great work! :grin:

Can’t wait for the arcade and cooking!

1 Like

Great stuff as always!

Disco ball is nice, the music is nice for Lonely Gun and gotta love the food too! Everything is nice, keep up the good work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will this engine update let the game content split into multiple paks? Spyro Reignited on PC uses 4.19 and has multiple paks so it looks like the bug is fixed from 4.18.2 to 4.19?

1 Like

We haven’t tested it out yet, but it’s high priority.

9 Likes

whoa SANDBAR??? I loved that map in GMTower!

So glad that’s coming back (soon)!