Ways to Support PixelTail Games

Even though it gives no benefit, no advantage over a $15 paying user?

we’ve reached the point where people are upset over a little name tag. that’s so petty oml.

15 Likes

its a microtransaction, it being a benefit or not isnt relevant, with this same mindset you can excuse something like “a tower unite daily item shop” because its “cosmetic only and doesnt affect gameplay”"

1 Like

So get rid of the tag then, who gives a shit.

You’re still going to bitch and moan about the whole thing.

4 Likes

So you’re telling me the text hat is a microtransaction? BACKER and the new tag is a tag above someone’s head, so then the text hat is a microtransaction?

If you wanted, just make your text hat say BACKER, if your really hurt over a tag, then you might as well.

These are payments OUTSIDE of the game that are directly supporting the devs who have been working their asses off to deliver us content for years. Who gives a shit if there’s a TINY tag for patrons? Things change, developers are people too and need financial support.

You guys are so petty and pathetic, just leave the forums and stop playing the game if you’re going to get pissy over devs asking for support.

13 Likes

I completely agree with you, these people thinking that Tower Unite can live off the one-time $15 purchase and money from the kick starter (if theres any money left from that) in the long term.

Oh nice, for so long people who really wanted to throw their money at pixeltail got told to just buy more copies of the game, good that people can finally donate simply to support.

15 Likes

Wow look who shows up to talk big smack after being rejected and kicked out of nearly every community in tower for being toxic, hmmmmmm…

17 Likes

Really glad to be able to support such a good group of devs and artists. I subscribed to your patreon and plan on sending a donation over later in the year.

The scope of the industry has changed in the four short years since Mac commented on how Patreon isn’t suitable for their game. Not only is the game far larger than it was 4 years ago, but Pixeltail have hired more staff, have a wider scope of features to create and maintain, and a larger pool of servers that must be paid for.

The in-game Patron tag may be something that people may be upset about, but it’s nothing they could not acquire themselves. It’s not nearly as exclusive as the current Backer/Founder tags.

In four more years, Pixeltail Games will likely take a step back and once again re-evaluate their position in the industry and how they are impacted by it. Like all good game developers, they can only make decisions based on what they have now.

I for one welcome our new Patron overlords!

15 Likes

For a long time now, people have been asking for additional ways to support Pixeltail besides buying additional copies. Now there is a way, and people somehow found a way to be upset about it.

Absolute proof that you can’t appease the internet. You can give them exactly what they want and they’ll still be disappointed.

8 Likes

Be careful though, if you reply, uhie might put your reply on their Steam profile like they did with mine, and frankly, I’ve never been more owned.

13 Likes

What is his steam? :thinking:

I’m not going to give that out because I’m not quite that petty.

2 Likes

chefkiss

3 Likes

I mean hes petty enough to get kicked out of just about all of the communities.

2 Likes

i mean they needed to do something they could never survive with only steam sales

3 Likes

o boy!
I’m gonna replace my EVE subscription with this patreon instead, I love supporting this company!

3 Likes

Game development isn’t cheap. They have to pay 30% royalties to Valve for being on Steam, 5% to Epic for using the Unreal Engine, and also have to pay their staff wages (which, unless everyone is being severely underpaid, is pretty high considering the median wage of a game dev job in the US is ~70-80k/yr), cost of server hosting (which is probably either a monthly or annual cost for each server they are running, combined with the recent high demand for server capacity making that even more expensive), and any potential third party tools that are not free/open source that they need to license or purchase to use. All of this stretched over a timespan of over four years of the development of a game that is only $15 and that, once you buy it, can play literally anything without having to give another penny to them.

I’m not saying PT is broke, if they were they wouldn’t be able to spontaneously spin up a bunch of new servers for people to join, but they also don’t have infinite pockets and as they grow and require more demand are going to need to find more sources of income.

Considering they aren’t going to advertise the game until it’s out of early access, sales of TU will probably only go up a tiny bit over the course of its development as it’s shared to people around the community. If they need more money to develop the game, and are asking for it from people who are voluntarily willing to help out, what is the issue?

I’m not a developer, and don’t have any clue what their actual sales figures or financial situations are. This is all just assumption, but I have a hard time seeing PixelTail is some benevolent company with a massive stockpile of funds that is just scamming their userbase out of money. That’s some tinfoil hat type shit. Let people who actually want to help them out do it, nobody is forcing you to.

22 Likes