Typing Derby mode: No Punctuation

The one thing I don’t like about the new typing derby is the fact that it requires punctuation whereas the old one didn’t.
It would be cool to add a mode where no punctuation is necessary.

So basically just one huge run on sentence?

Yeah like that but I remember when typing derby was new and it was basic words that added more letters. to it.

True the War of the Worlds typing derby sentences are awesome but it would be cool to have a Legacy Mode for typing derby.

2 Likes

Yeah this would be nice. Sometimes it’s just plain annoying when apostrophes and quotation make make up 40% of the the race. Perhaps have different tier levels such as easy mode for slow typists and hard mode for fast typists.

1 Like

While some of the sentences (ulla, ulla, ulla) can be annoying, I think the way it works now is fine. I don’t think you’ll improve much and catch up to the faster typists if you’re not practicing those harder passages with punctuation.

Maybe a solution to this could be adding a vote during the wait times before matches where people could vote on the difficulty of the paragraph?

3 Likes

I would very much like a difficulty setting possibly. I am not the biggest fan of the derbys update
I liked it better when it was just a race to see who could type the fastest, not who wrote with better grammar the fastest.

It just doesn’t feel fun anymore. I don’t like fumbling around when I accidentally didn’t hold down shift while pressing the ; key to give me a : but sadly I fucked up, and have to realize a second later I fucked up. Which sometimes just stops me for a whole 3 seconds which is a lot of time in a race.

Sure I’m not the greatest, but even when I’m popping off and doing really good, it just doesn’t feel right anymore. Like all the fun just disappeared.

5 Likes

I don’t think there is anything wrong with this type of texts, but nevertheless I am all for difficulty settings. As someone who is from the faster league of typing, I don’t have that many issues with this. Yet I can’t stand having my typing speed impacted and combos ruined by the occasional overabundance of long, hard to read words, and punctuation after every fourth word. This is when ignoring the fact that some texts have outright errors, such as no space after punctuation, or duplicate words, things which I have already witnessed during a race.

The old typing derby was quite bland and simplistic, but at least it fully concentrated on typing speed, not reading skills (something I mentioned in another thread already). This is now a problem seeing as how they decided to add a bunch of passages out of old texts, containing all sorts of old english town names and words that you never witness anywhere anymore. Or cheeky joke texts where the suggestor added in a bunch of complicated words one after another just for the funnies.

For people that aren’t an absolute machine at typing, add some sort of easy or legacy mode which only contains random, commonly used words.

Punctuation is part of typing. I understand that difficulty is now increased, but including punctuation is standard for typing games.

I think having difficulty would be neat, but also would get annoying for players who want a challenge. Basically, if you have someone in a game that’s good at typing but 80% of the rest of players want it easier, that person who is good at typing will always win regardless and even faster with the reduced difficulty.

6 Likes

Very few individuals actually seek a challenge in derby. With milestones and achievements, most players just want to farm XP/Milestones quickly or just play the game casually without too much difficulty. This is why the difficulty setting works well in Ball Race, new and causal players can play easy maps and challenge seekers or XP farmers go to Prism.

The problem with derby here is that many common players cannot even finish the race (myself included about 20% of the time). This is due to the weird passages given and overall mess of unnecessary punctuation. Yes common punctuation is fine, but adding extended amounts of it combined with archaic text and you get the current situation at hand.

Non native English speakers and those with typing difficulties don’t even stand a chance with derby as it sits. That’s one of the reasons why you hardly see a full group of people playing it at once. Even players with insane WPM that just want to get to the 1 mil milestone hate the RNG passage difficulty.

Really, there should be a better way to balance the pool of passages to allow more players to actually…play the game mode.

3 Likes