TU Forums Account Security & Backups

I guess I just witnessed an account going on a trolling spree. I don’t know if the user was just a regular on 4chan and drunkenly mixed up the forums (unlikely even though his posting style reminded me of 4chan) but a few things alerted me:

• It was no regular. (And I’m not talking about the Badge, I mean what it’s named after.) His posting history suggests he occasionally logged on to take part in selected threads. Basically, no one knew him.
  • The trolling spree happened spontaneous, the posts Minutes apart. More like a “suicidal” attack aimed at getting banned than some troll that whenever he sees the occasion, posts something annoying.
  • He deleted old posts, unrelated stuff reaching back months. He could have removed all content of the account that wasn’t “saved” in quotes.

I’m not saying this happened or is likely to but… What if the account was hacked? The forum isn’t using some niche software that wouldn’t be economical to attack. The server doesn’t use HTTPS. (Even though it’d be neat.) The identity theft would have been noticeable if the victim was known on the Discord, where he could instantly comment something like “Guys, my password doesn’t work anymore and someone is posting using my name!” (Disclaimer: I’ve never been to the Discord as I have reasons not to trust the software. Especially not on my computer.)

Basically I am asking: How safe are the accounts here, could such damage easily be undone? Is there a Backup solution in place, months old wisdom safely stored?

(Before answering remember this is public and as long as the answer is “No” that might just invite trolls and other shady people with no life.)

i t mightbe a troll account or something like an alt

I should probably explicitly mention that the “trolling attack” just got me thinking, I have no reason to speculate what exactly actually happened there. In the time I spent thinking about his content and general behaviour he was already flagged and banned.

is this abgout that cookie guy

I called it

Yes - as in it motivated me to start this thread - and I felt clever not mentioning the account name at all so he doesn’t get any more attention.

oh sorry

I think we all know who it was, given this thread was made like ten minutes after he was banned

I don’t know.
I wasn’t home when this happened

Yeah tell us please.

I’m more curious as to why he doesn’t trust Discord.