Trash Suggestion

Trash items like magazines and such take much too long to acquire, seeing as fishing takes forever and you’re only gonna get trash half the time. I suggest an alternate way to procure trash, and perhaps other forms of items if deemed fit.

I think there could be an interact option with trash bins and cans around the plaza that lets you rummage for trash. There could be a timer on this interaction, which would artificially scale the rarity of trash, or simply discourage spamming one trash bin and enforce using different bins.

Crude edit of the fishing reward panel for posterity’s sake.
crudetrash

Full on Raccoon playstyle

5 Likes

I need tons of junk for my build so I LOVE this idea

5 Likes

Or maybe that you have to throw away an item in a thrash bin and you get a trash item back

3 Likes

I love the idea, though I’m sure people would probably spam it in order to farm units. There should probably be some more elegant way to implement it, beyond just a timer. Maybe it could be like a reverse “Treasure from the Sea” event. A “Trash from the Bin” event would start and then each trash can around the plaza could be interacted with to get a random piece of trash. That way the frequency of it could be more controlled, and you’re more encouraged to go around to each bin rather than just camp one.

EDIT: Bonus points if different kinds of trash containers had different lists of randomized trash to pull from, maybe even make it dependant on location. For example: Mesh baskets in buildings would have papers n stuff, meanwhile, large dumpsters could have tires and whatnot. Maybe a trashcan in an eating area/near a vending machine would have more food-related trash. Would be cool if the event also worked inside buildings like the arcade and whatnot. Defs have a few trashcans in the dev room with some interesting stuff too. Maybe the event would have a rare chance for more rare and comedic pieces of garbage, like a crown of plastic spoons and forks for you to wear.

5 Likes

Perhaps there could be a more elegant way, but the objective is to insert more trash items into the game, not gate them behind another wait-wall. Also, might I add, selling trash would almost never be more profitable than simply playing one of the minigames, let alone gambling. I’ve made over 25m in around 10 hours when Silver Saddles got released. I highly doubt hitting e on a trash bin and getting one piece of trash every minute or so would equate to more cash than that.

But yes, a timer would be a bit clunky, and I would probably suggest simply locking the trash container until you’ve hit a different one or a number of different containers now that I think about it some more.

2 Likes

Yeah, you’re right. I may or may not like the plaza events too much, so I just immediately jumped to that. In hindsight, it doesn’t make much sense, because it’s not like trash is a worthy reward for an event. Maybe it could just be that litter shows up around the plaza or something? Or at least you can visually see when a trashcan has free trash when it looks like it’s overflowing and stuff is falling out. Maybe, going off of what nlkeijser said, you can cause a trash can to fill up with trash faster by throwing items into it. Idk, I’m just spit-balling.

2 Likes

Y’know, I forgot to mention one other thing in my last post. Given the opportunity to optimize the fun out of a game, there is a very significant portion of people who would do just that. If you can either mindlessly sit there yourself and do something, or otherwise easily automate a hotkey or something to do it for you while you’re gone, there’s a lot of people who would do exactly that. Trust me, I speak from experience having witnessed it, and having participated in the phenomenon myself (though not on Tower Unite).

The requirement to having to go between different trash cans is defs a good one solution. However, don’t discredit the farmability of it. It’s a lot more likely that someone would sit there hitting E on a trashcan, regardless of whether it’s the most efficient thing to do, than you would probably think. If it’s the easiest thing to automate, then sensibility be darned.