Theatre or Theater

uh…

French say Theatre and I think everyone else says Theater.

It’s correct either way.

I’ve asked my english teacher about this a while ago…
she said:
theatre = british spelling = live action
theater = american spelling = on-screen movies (the same as cinema, maybe smaller)
(it doesn’t really matter anymore, it’s the same as color x colour or favorite x favourite)

Cinema.

/thread

2 Likes

I say Theater, because 'Murican Engrish. Words with ou are usually British/Canadian English variants, American English on the other hand often leaves u’s out. Has little to do with the word in question here, but why not bring it up anyways?

How about,
Mrican

I’ll kick myself out now

Because us Australians always have slangs for everthing, we simply refer to it as 'The Movies’

e.g: “Me and my mates are heading up to the Movies on Saturday, wanna come?”

-Enjoy Cookies

1 Like

From the first search result on Google:

In most contexts, there is no difference in meaning between theater and theatre. Neither has any special definitions in general usage. The main thing that most English speakers and learners need to know is that theater is the preferred spelling in American English, and theatre is preferred virtually everywhere else.

Some Americans do make distinctions—for instance, that a theater is a venue while theatre is an art form, or that a theater is a movie theater while a theatre is a drama venue. There is nothing wrong with making these distinctions, but they are not consistently borne out in general usage. Even in 21st-century writing on the art of theater, the more American spelling now appears for all senses of the word.

TL;DR: It’s just spelling, the meaning doesn’t matter.

Its just like Colour and color

1 Like

Yet when I write “color” in an English class test in school, I can get it counted as a mistake. :V