The technical state of 'sharing' condos & The Workshop

This is due to Canvas items having net relevancy settings being applied now. Basically, once you are far from a canvas item, it’ll remove them as they are no longer relevant.

This has a huge benefit when you first load into a condo, it won’t load and download all the canvases all at once, as it’ll only load canvases that are near you. It has a negative where it removes the canvas when you are far, though.

There is no in between unfortunately with Unreal 4. I’ve been wanting a system that only loads nearby canvases when you first join and never remove them afterwards, but a system like that doesn’t exist in Unreal 4. I plan on addressing this soon by creating our own network scheme for canvas items where they do load in, but their images don’t load until you are nearby them, solving both issues. However, there’s also the VRAM issue. Having canvases loaded at all times will cause your VRAM to be filled with canvas data at all times.

As for the desync/placement issues. I currently don’t know why it’s caused. We use Unreal’s built in replication system for location and rotation and it should be accurate to about +/- .001 units (cm) for location and +/- .01 units (°) for rotation.

For the trees, we can look into that issue. And I’ve known about the soda machine for awhile, it’s just been lost in our bug tracker as other bugs are more important. But, we’ve been focusing on Condo fixes due to the Workshop Condo focus.

11 Likes