The Language Thread

Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind. Each of these are Google Translated (though I learned/memorized to-do list, I use that even in my planner now). I was focusing more on the actual stroking, which is hard to do with a dry-erase marker.

I spent a good ten minutes each trying to get “watashi” down for each of them. The simplest bits are always the hardest for me. I’m going to try both writing the same character over and over (as in A A A A, B B B B, etc.) and copying down the entire hirigana and katakana charts.

Considering I’m also working on German and French, though, I should probably take it one language at a time. I just copy down Japanese for fun right now.

I’m Portuguese/French, but I only speak French (Out of the two, obviously.)
I am a native French & English speaker, and i’m currently trying to learn German and Russian.

Awesome! How are you going about learning Russian? Is it working well for you? I can’t imagine trying to tackle a language in an entirely different alphabet (Japanese is already tough enough).

The russian alphabet isn’t difficult to learn. It works (well, almost) exactly the same as our latin alphabet, and is heavily based on the latin and greek alphabet. If you might happen to know both the latin and greek ones well, you are pretty much a third-quarter done with learning cyrillic.
Cyrillic does not have these ligatures like latin has (for example English has “sh”, “ch”, German has “dsch”, “sch”). Instead, they have another letter for every single sound:

sh: ш
ch: ч
zh: ж

and even j- sounds:

ja: я (If this letter didn’t exist, you’d have to type йа.)
je: е (For the stock “e” there’s the letter э)
jo: ё
ju: ю

The (extreme) difficulty in learning Russian comes in when you touch the not-so-basic grammar. This is because Russian is word ending hell. (kinda worse than in Finnish really) There’s all kinds of rules you gotta learn about how words are made and all the different “blocks” of them and so on and so on. A cool thing about Russian however, is that the way sentences are built is super flexible, meaning there is almost no ruling on how sentences have to be built. Aslong as all the necessary parts are there, you can place them (almost) however you want, it’s always gonna mean the same and make sense.

Maybe I am kinda going insane with this. It might not be as hard as I am explaining here. I can’t really know by myself, as I grew up with Russian, so the language appears easy to me. At the end, your own personal experience in learning it is the final word to how hard it is.
(No, I did not forget that it was DrVivid who wanted to learn Russian, I was just replying to Drachen because he mentioned learning the Russian alphabet. :smile:)

2 Likes

Very interesting bit of information! It seems, in many regards, the Cyrillic alphabet is much better than the Latin alphabet. Every language seems to have their pros and cons.

My only concern with Russian (aside from the alphabet and the new knowledge of word endings) is there are no articles? I’m used to having so many articles, but how do sentences work without them?

Grammatical gender in nouns is usually marked by the (not grammatical) last letter rather than articles. Masculine words usually end with a consonant (no ending), feminine words have -a/-ja, and neuter words have -o/-e. Maybe a few more of the last two genders. For example:

Россия (Rossija: Russia) - Feminine (Just another fact: This is the reason why Russia is a motherland.)
Солнцо (Solnco: sun) - Neuter (However I’m not 100% sure at the moment if you spell it like that :stuck_out_tongue:)
Спутник (Sputnik: satelite) - Masculine

Those gender rules seem useful and much easier than most languages, but articles exist for reasons other than just gender (case in point with English).

Articles a/an indicate a non-specific noun and the specifics a specific noun. With something used so often in every language I’ve practiced, I can’t how the many sentences can function without an article. So how are the definite/indefinite nouns expressed in Russian?

I think it is obvious by the grammatical case. Either that or there is no thing as definite/indefinite nouns in Russian at all. I’m not sure.

Let’s translate your sentence into Russian:
Артикулы “a/an” показывают |не спецыфированыи существителныи слова1 и “the” |спецыфированыи существителныи2. Чевота использовоное так многа в каждом языке я учил, я не вижу как |многий предложение3 действуют бес артикула4. Значет, как показаны |спецыфированыи5 и |не спецыфированыи6 существителныи?

1: indefinite
2: indefinite
3: indefinite
4: indefinite
5: indefinite
6: indefinite

Everything seems to be indefinite in these sentences.

I think I should grab my Russian grammar book and learn some stuff again. I never even finished 3rd grade Russian grammar.

It’s just hard to wrap my head around there being a lack of articles. I suppose they’re ultimately understood in the flow of conversation.

Yeah this is most likely the case. It is most likely obvious from context, like mentioning when an activity happened in Chinese.

cous wee- gets chopped to death

I`m from Poland so I speak… Polish.

Jak się macie moi przyjaciele?

Also, I would like to learn Japanese. I want to go to Japan in the future.

Any questions? Don`t know where Poland is? Check this.

How hard do you feel it was for you to learn English? Which language do you prefer to speak? Which do you primarily use (assumedly Polish)?

Also, how do you like living in Poland?

For me, English is easy, but I still make mistakes. I have 4 hours of English at school and I have private lessons 2 times in the week for 1,5 hour. I prefer to speak Polish, because I`m still not used to talk without thinking in English.

I like my country and its history is interesting (we were partitioned 3 times and then we disappeared for 123 years from maps), but some people are annoying. Everyone complains about prices ( its true. Minimal wage is 1750 PLN (450 euro) so electronics is quite expensive).

I know much about Polish history since I’m a huge history lover, especially the time around World War II and whatnot. It’s great to see today’s Poland it’s own country. I do know there seems to be an issue with money but that’s just residue from years of Soviet subjugation.

Polish seems like quite an interesting language. English borrowed a lot of words from it, which is one of the reasons I like it. I never knew how much time foreigners put in to learning English; that’s a lot of hours to study the language.

My English teachers in public school were and are horrible. Something that I learned on private lessons 3 years ago, I learn right now.

Also we had parliamentary elections and in few days we are going to have new goverment.

The only reason why I am so kill at English compared to what we learn at school is simply because I am way more advanced in English than what we planned to learn in school. My English is probably comparable to 9th or 10th grade. I myself don’t consider absolutely freaking amazing and godlike in English, it’s good for what I need on the internet. And, is it normal that as soon as I started being pubescent, my English suddenly became so darn good (compared to what I previously spoke)? Maybe I could speak English this well before, but just didn’t fully use my capabilities because I was thinking differently.

Polish is an absolutely amazing language, it’s the first slavic language I discovered that isn’t Russian. There was a time where I even wanted to be able to speak it, but then I realized that it won’t help me all that much really (I mean, polish is only spoken in Poland, nowhere else in the world). And I don’t think I’d find polish that amazing once I would learn it. (I speak russian and that one is super similiar in terms of pronounciation, but I am not like it’s awesome or anything.)

You would be amazed where you can find it.

Many Poles live abroad. Google for example “Jackowo Chicago”. Now, many Ukrainians are coming to Poland to find job.

#Edit: Radek (Radosław) is Polish name. Guess what`s my name.

I saw some polish guy play on a server frequently, his real name was Radek. I found that name cool, so I decided to set it as my nickname, been stuck with it ever since. I’ve always been aware that it’s a west slavic name, and I don’t mind that, despite the fact that a plenty of poles thought I am polish :smile:

I guess you’d have to have a big appreciation for language like myself to enjoy learning a language, haha.

The biggest thing that’s got me into Polish aside from its history is The Witcher. Being a Polish product, it’s great to see that one of the best fantasy stories in the world is Polska. I’d love to read the books and play the game in the original Polish language to get the full experience.