Suggestions for Virus

Virus has a really interesting concept, but I do have some suggestions:

• The radar should be removed.

I feel like the radar makes the game way too easy for survivors. Virus would be a lot more challenging and fun if survivors could only notice the infected by listening to the radiation sounds.

• The infected should be faster and enraged mode should be removed.

In maps like Subway or sometimes any map, I feel like the infected are a little bit too slow and cannot do much. The enraged mode only works for one infected. Usually if there are only 2 infected and survivors are full camping, there’s no chance for the infected to win.
Now, making the infected run a lot faster doesn’t mean the game is unbalanced, since survivors already have adrenaline.
If this were to be added, I find enraged mode a bit useless then, since like I said, it only works for one infected.

• The infected appearance should be different.

Personally, I prefer how the infected looked before. They looked more like mad infected zombies. Now they’re wearing those black fashioned shorts which makes it look a bit dumb and off-putting in a game where you are trying to survive from a deadly disease. If there really is an issue with ‘NSFW stuff’, at least make them look a bit more reckless, because it fits the game genre a lot more.

• Kinda scared for what the upgrades are gonna be.

If there are gonna be upgrades for Virus, I believe the only thing it would look great is gun customization. I read on Trello that they’re apparently implementing ‘skin colors’. In my opinion, I believe that would be a little too much.

• Gun nerfing?

Right now, Tommy Gun is very overpowered. Survivors don’t even have to aim and it has a countless amount of ammo. Either ammo is nerfed or the gun itself.

• So, where am I trying to get with all these?

Like I said, Virus has an interesting concept, but some features make the game too easy for survivors and too tedious for infected. The game world would be way more fun and interesting if people had it more difficult to survive and less tedious to infect.

So there it goes, tell me what you think, we’re all here to give our opinion respectfully.

I don’t think this would be a great idea. It’s not only useful for survivors, but for the infected as well for being able to see the general location of nearby survivors or where they’re trying to run away to.

Maybe they could be made very slightly faster but absolutely not a “lot”. You mention survivors have adrenaline and that would balance it out but adrenaline lasts 15 seconds whereas the infected would always be very fast the entire round. I agree about the infected not being able to do much sometimes but i think theres a lot better solutions than just bumping up their speed

The developers were working on a new model for the infected (they showed concept art for it in a dev log a month or 2 back), and the shorts were added because you’ll be able to purchase clothes for your infected with upgrades

I don’t really know why youre scared about skin colors for infected to be honest, but if its about being harder to see i dont think you’ll ever be able to change the color of the green flame, which is still a pretty easy way to tell if someone is infected.

4 Likes

The radar should be removed

I don’t think radar should be removed, but I think if you aren’t moving / crouch-walking, you shouldn’t show up. That might add some interesting strategies

The infected should be faster and enraged mode should be removed.

Being an infected isn’t about being fast, it’s about out maneuvering your opponents. I don’t think speed is needed, but Enraged mode is definitely a must for patient zero and highly effected if used properly

Usually if there are only 2 infected and survivors are full camping, there’s no chance for the infected to win.

There is a chance someone joins and spawns as an infected mid round, this is really unfortunate when there is only one infected because you lose your ability to Enrage. That said, Enrage happens after 2 deaths solo. You should die as quickly as possible to get Enrage unless you have a surprise spawn/start that can net you a multi-kill. Use your first two lives to punish people who put down TNT early or spam Flak. TNT should only be used to secure the end-game. Once you’ve carved a path, and with a little tact, you’ll be able to overwhelm a decent size group while Enraged. It is imperative you get more than one person, or like you said, you’re gonna have a difficult time.

Also note, the longer the round goes, the more hungry survivors get for kills. The glory boys are going to come out and put themselves at risk, take advantage of that.

Now, making the infected run a lot faster doesn’t mean the game is unbalanced, since survivors already have adrenaline.

It would be imbalanced. There are certain choke points in maps that make it hard, but once you learn the tactics and how to bait shots, especially as patient zero, it becomes pretty routine. Being any faster would be so overwhelming for survivors when they only get 15 seconds to be a little faster or as fast as infected. Not to mention the net code seems to have issues keeping up already.

Adrenaline, like TNT, is a means to finishing the end game. I’ve had many games where there is 20 seconds left and you are the only survivor and you pop adrenaline. It gives you 15 seconds to be extremely fast but you still need to be quick to react and juke. Yet another reason the radar is so important to balance these moments… they can see you as much as you can see them, it’s a tool for both sides. I’ve been on both ends of a last second juke that kills a survivors solo victory. I personally find it exhilarating.

If there are gonna be upgrades for Virus, I believe the only thing it would look great is gun customization. I read on Trello that they’re apparently implementing ‘skin colors’. In my opinion, I believe that would be a little too much.

Gun skins are too much but you’re not concerned about weapon customization? Either way, I’m pretty sure it will be like other recently released upgrades/unlocks available for the other mini-games: purely cosmetic.

Right now, Tommy Gun is very overpowered. Survivors don’t even have to aim and it has a countless amount of ammo. Either ammo is nerfed or the gun itself.

True, various guns have varying levels of OP. The kit is also random. So it is possible you’ll spawn a bad kit and the virals will go HAM on the survivors within seconds. The game isn’t perfect, and I don’t think it was ever meant to be. At the end of the day, it’s just a fun little mini-game.

My own two cents: Stop replacing cross-bow with TNT, give it its own slot or get rid of it and rotate TNT out with other throwables, like flash bangs, grenades, cluster bombs, glue traps, or something more tangible. I miss always having TNT :frowning:

1 Like

Infected can already see the auras of survivors, and, if you pretty much know the maps, you wouldn’t have a problem knowing where they’re going.

Of course, they should only be slightly faster, definitely not the same speed as enraged.

I find the clothing idea a little bit off-putting in a game like Virus, but hey that’s just me.

About the skin colors, it’s not because it would be harder to see, but because I like said, I find it a bit unnecessary considering infected already look just fine with green color (since that color represents a virus). Therefore why I only think gun customization (which is already a thing considering the 9MM Gold) would be a good upgrade.

That’s true, but I still find it convenient to have the radar available as for me it helps to get a better feel for exactly how far away the survivors are. The radar’s also been a part of Virus since GMod Tower, so it’s something I’m very used to using.

It’s kinda hard to imagine exactly how fast you think they should be. You mention making infected “a lot” faster wouldn’t make the game unbalanced in the op, and you think the speed change would be significant enough to remove enraged mode entirely.

I just feel like making the infected faster is a really risky move, either the boost will be too insignificant to matter much or the infected will be way too fast. I also think there’s a lot of possible alternative ways to buff infected like

• Vents that infected could use to quickly travel long distances (which is an actual thing that might be added)
  • Nerfing some survivor weapons
  • Starting the round with 2 infected instead of 1 if enough players are in the server (like the double dragon thing they’re doing for LC)

I feel the opposite, honestly. The infected are zombies, it’s kinda weird for someone’s clothes to just disappear the second they get infected.

There’s nothing stopping you from still having the green skin if you want that.

2 Likes