Some mild jetpack visual upgrades

Jetpacks are the most prominent items in the game. Nearly every player is wearing 'em at all times, and you’re staring at one every time you scroll out to third person. That said, they could easily look better, and they’re overdue for a visual upgrade.

I know “Make ___ better!!” isn’t a very insightful idea, but there was a vague post from months ago, so I hope a few points are considered before something new is implemented.

NORMAL JETPACKS

It isn’t the design, but the execution, and there’s something in-game that demonstrates this perfectly. Look at the Rob’s Imports signs that new players love to ignore:

Gleaming power gem? Shiny 2-tone metal body? Glowing purple thrusters with vents? Hey, that looks pretty cool.

Ah, RIP. It looks like solid-colored plastic with a painted-on ‘gem’ that has tons of overspray, and the glowing innards of the thrusters don’t actually glow. Would be a nice base if you could customize the colors, but that’s not the case atm. Possible improvements are fairly obvious: all the bells and whistles from the advertisement. Maybe the gem lights up or pulses when in use, and it corresponds to the trail color. But, hey, this is just the base jetpack.

GOLD JETPACKS

I’m all about repping yellow/gold, so I gotta fuss here too. If you haven’t seen one yet, the Gold Jetpack forgoes having any details in favor of being a solid texture. I get the idea behind making it literally solid gold, but I have some qualms with it’s execution as well:

Depending on the lighting, the luster usually ranges from “special edition Zelda console” at best, to a tarnished penny at worst. Such a time-consuming milestone’s gotta be more baller. It’s practically brass/bronze, make it golder! Make it match the gold pool tube! That thing looks like a legit sonic ring. Hell, the diamond jetpack gets a corresponding pooltube, so why not this?

I actually found one place (Central Circuit) where the lighting makes them match, and it looks brilliant.
And, please, consider slapping a yellow gem on this boy or something. It’d only add the coolness, like a jewel encrusted crown. Also, the way it currently covers the original makes it look painted over. (Which I guess it technically is)

DIAMOND JETPACKS
I got nothin’. It’s great.

HIDING JETPACKS
What nitpicky rant would be complete without the ability to hide all that effort to change it?

I’m sure this has been suggested before, but with the addition of the Iridescent Backpack, a lot of my friends have griped about not being able to hide their jetpack while it clips with any back item. Akin to editing the Text Hat, an option to perhaps just right click it on the hot bar to select a checkbox controlling its visibility would be nice.

I never considered it a gem, more a light bar of energy or something like that.

2 Likes

Jetpack needs a remodel, to be quite honest. It’s been long overdue.

9 Likes

this is one of the reasons i like pixeltail, they’re not afraid to admit that “yeah tbh this sucks we gotta fix it”

3 Likes