Solving Vote Kicking: An Open Discussion

What a mean spirited moment I’ve ever seen on TU :frowning:

Someone just called you a furry, but you telling everyone on the server that you’re are not a furry, but then someone bring out a vote kick to kick you out of the server which seems mean spirited.

This is one of those “mean spirited moments” on TU as I fear for what comes in the near future.

They have toxicity people in the middle of nowhere, and the normal people who just want to play the game and have fun, gets vote kicked or banned for no reasons.

This is how the term “cruelty” starts to spread from one person to the others, it’s like a pandemic or something.

Yeah there is people who are mean on TU but glad vote kicking got removed (I can kinda see why people think I’m a furry but if they can’t see when I type “I’m not” they are just blind lmao)

If I–a high rank LC player–joined a match and decided frick it we ball and started dropping N-bombs, I feel more than the probably less than 10 people who have more exp than me should be able to initiate a kick. You shouldn’t have to airdrop in Megalomaniac or someone with cheated and/or glitched exp to get a quirked up green melon goated with the civil rights violations out of the lobby.

I could see this being useful for my main issue with vote kicking, where people would kick immediately after seeing my exp–but that’s one very specific issue that only a handful of people in each game world face and probably has more room to be abused than otherwise.

I think this is the best way to go about it since if the admin/host doesn’t want you there enough, as well as friends they may be playing with, they can just close the lobby flat out and then ban them from joining their servers in the future–but that process could be an annoying interruption to deal with if you’re just trying to play a could rounds and not deal with intermission periods for a ban to be placed.

Now that we’re getting a proper team vs. team gamemode with SDNL (CTF, Team Deathmatch, Team Gun Game, and Team Oddball), compared to Virus and LC which have that most of the time change every round and have wildly different play-styles between them, there’s gotta be some consideration now on whether or not players on one team should be able to kick people on the opposing team. For instance, if someone on one team is absolutely shredding the other team, I could foresee people kicking. Though with that kind of protection, if a user is cheating or something like that and the people on their team are in cahoots, they can just not kick–at which point you’re just better off leaving (TF2 bot type beat). Also this is assuming that the teams aren’t being scrambled every round like I think was the case in Planet Panic? I can’t remember if players would get switched around or if you’d stay with the same people on the teams but the lot of you go from cats to dogs or vice versa.

I will say though my stance on this (“this” being the kicking of players based on skill) bit is biased towards more proficient players as I generally think you shouldn’t get punished for just playing the game, just because you’re doing it better than the other people in the lobby. And I get that that scenario sucks for everyone else who’s not the proficient player but that really do be a skill issue moment. But again, even without voting–if the host doesn’t like it they can just nuke the server and rehost after banning you so either way. Unless/until we get dedicated gameworld servers, I believe that’ll be an issue regardless of whether or not kicking is possible. But giving the host, or players with permissions granted like you and Spookz suggested, the ability to kick w/o a vote does the same thing except doesn’t make everyone else have to reconnect.

I’ve been up 25 hours hopefully this was remotely coherent. If not, I defer to 2020 Melon.

With SDNL coming up, there may be an increase in unpleasant players that cheat in video games.
If this is to happen and we start getting aimbotters and the like, kicking is going to be much more necessary to have.

Its a bit frustrating when someone toxic follows you into every single game you make, forcing you to either ignore their name on the list or play alone.

2 Likes

i think there is a need of in-depth discussion of how vote-kicking should be done.

in my opinion, invite-only rooms should allow users of which they would wish to invite non-friends by generating a corresponding key (like Among Us does), to have less reasons to kick others.

as said above, votekicking in attempt to kick someone with zero context shouldn’t be tolerated especially if you are obviously hosting a public match; the same thing as security, while you can lock other people out, you can also find yourself to be locked out.

PixelTail developers has tried to solve the vote kicking, then the problem still stands to this day. The huge problem with the vote kicking is the amount of false kick that always happen to well played players.

People have to understand that most well played (and high level) players can’t go in a single game without getting a vote kicking initiated on anyone’s back, and people have shared their frustrations online through YouTube videos, Reddit posts, and on the official Discord server.

Many experienced players got vote kicked from their Game Worlds, quit the game solely because of the false vote kicking by players.

We have tried to fix the problem by having an open discussion, but they removed the vote kicking until the problem is solved.

Many other online/FPS games can’t change the vote kicking to better solve the problem (e.g. Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Garry’s Mod, Roblox) then every time there is a hacker, the hacker never gets vote kicked because there’s a doofus on the other group just want to play the game without anyone well played players joining the public server.

If you vote NO because the hacker is in your group, then the high level players will gets the blame. You would vote YES if he wasn’t on your group, so don’t be stupid.

So, I’ve come up with the list of solutions to this problem so I hope for the best. Now hear me out: Yes, I know when high level players have been vote kicked from the public servers before, but those are easy to ban immediately.

1. Raise the level requirement from either 15 or 25 to avoid low level players initiating a vote kicking out of assault.
  2. Make it sure so that high level players requires more votes to vote kicking the player out of the server, and the the same the other way around.
  3. Adding a karma system starting with at least 1000 karma points so high level players can either successfully gain karma is the vote kicking has passed, or lose karma is the vote kicking failed. When players landed below 500 karma points, they cannot host another vote kicking until they earn it back by playing the game.
  4. Make sure that the player hosting a public server can allow to initiate a vote kicking, and not client players.

EDIT @ Feb. 5th 2024: Rewrite the whole entire reply.

1 Like

I literally only ever saw this the opposite way around (top ranked LC player). I personally never saw kicking people with furry profile pictures, but I did see plenty of high-ranked players getting kicked from Virus and Little Crusaders (didn’t want to play with players significantly better than them) and low-ranked players getting kicked in Ball Race and Minigolf (didn’t want to wait on people significantly slower than them). Didn’t matter if they were playing yet, there were people who would just start a kick once they hovered over the diamond badge and saw a number above 2 million (V/LC).

4 Likes

I edit my votes for one option:

• Vote kicking should be moderated and users can be reported and banned from using vote kicking.

However, the results for solving vote kicking are in (but still open for everyone), and the most voted solution is the feature can be disabled by the host upon hosting a server with 55% of votes.

Do you think this solution is going to help us making Tower Unite better?

I’m trying to give developers a list of solutions (I’ve edited) so far. If the player first hosting the server, they should (at least) give them an admin or moderator roles before they can head straight into the game and have a better experiences for users, not to hackers themselves.

Speaking of the devil, hackers (since I surfed on YouTube one time) cannot be vote kicked because there’s a doofus on the other group who won’t let everyone (including me) to vote kick the hacker because they wanted an easy win.

I temporarily quit playing SDNL because… To avoid certain violations: I’m not going to mention the player who’s been trash talking to us since my last play through in SDNL.

I have to wait longer until the vote kicking is solved, and we can finally let the host to initiate a vote kicking against a player for us to vote kick.

This just seems like a complete non-issue.

1 Like