Solving Vote Kicking: An Open Discussion

Don’t host a public game if you don’t want the public to join–end of story.

1 Like

The host needs to be allowed to kick who they want. Its their game… that they’re hosting.
The host should have full control over THEIR hosted game.

Vote kicking should be enabled or disabled by the host, but the host needs to have the ability to kick.

Don’t host a public game if you don’t want the public to join.

Is there a reason you’re spamming this thread? Its a little concerning that you’re so afraid of hosts having the ability to kick people, considering the main reason people would want that ability is only to remove griefers. You seem to be complaining about being kicked from games, so why don’t you take your own advice of not playing with the public…

Its not a matter of not wanting people to join. Its a matter of wanting to be able to remove people who are disruptive. We already have this ability in our condos. No reason we can’t in games we host.

I’ve seriously had griefers intrude a game (all with offensive names) in the past and was unable to kick them due to their group being the majority. I left and made a new game. They rejoined again. I ended up just logging out of the game. Not being able to play in public games is not a solution, when you only play this game for the social aspect.

Furthermore, aren’t hosts allowing people to directly connect to their internet while functioning as a local host? I assume that it’s their connection due to the fact the host will have 0ms of latency, but its possible its still on a Tower Unite server. Not sure. Because if its our own connection then we definitely should have control of who is using it.

2 Likes

Is there a reason you’re being so hostile? I’m not worried about hosts being able or unable to kick people, but I am concerned when people use subjective requirements to exclude people from major parts of game play. Condos are not the main source of currency in TU. Condos are not the main source of XP in TU. Condos are not the main source of sociability in TU. That is why they are maintained and set out differently. We cannot allow the same arbitrary and subjective terms from condos to control the majority of the game–period.

The public is the public–take it or leave it–including their behavior and their names. If their names do not violate the TOS/TOU, there’s nothing you can do about it. Reporting doesn’t apply in games absent extreme behavior–just like in condos. There is already equivalency there. The difference is that TU has set up the “Home is Your Castle” rule where you can feel “safe at home” whereas they have set up games to be battlegrounds.

As I stated before, the main reason I get kicked is my high level and high XP count in Virus. I’ve rarely been kicked from other games, even when I’m being a complete numpty because I’m bad at almost all of the other game modes, and when I have it is because someone couldn’t figure out how to use the “private” setting in their game. The other times are because I go AFK in a game. I don’t “grief” unless I’m the host playing Dodge Zomb by agreement of the other players. Why is your solution for me not to play in public games and then your solution the demand to allow you into public games? I don’t understand. I didn’t tell you not to play with the public, I suggested you play with people you prefer since you can’t control the public–because none of us can.

There are no legal issues behind opening up your computer on a peer-to-peer where the architecture has been arranged by prior agreement–i.e., you agreed to follow Tower Unite’s rules and usage terms under the Terms of Use. The same rules and architecture that allows you to have unregulated behavior in your condo is the same apparatus that allows for lack of moderation in game modes.

Thing is- there is something they can do about it, they can just close the server. As much as I dislike kicking, I agree that the host should have the ability to remove someone without a vote instead of just killing the entire lobby.

2 Likes

But that goes back into the discussion of what to do if a host is just closing the lobby because I would count that as a Rage Quit–I’m not getting my way / don’t like what is going on so I’m just going to punish everyone. So, should the host be allowed to use their own, personal, completely subjective beliefs about the people in the lobby, then what is the point of having a public game?

Wouldn’t having a group coming in named things such as “god hates f******” be using their own personal beliefs as well? :neutral_face:

That would be something that would not only be reportable, but bannable. And if you ban someone from your condo, they can’t join your hosted games, anyway, so just ban them.

Gameworlds don’t have a ban button within them, so if it’s something that’s happening mid-game you can’t do much about it.

If you honestly can’t deal with them for that game and you’re already going to close it, ban them and then re-open it instead of waiting for them to come back. But, again, I do think that there needs to be some oversight over the number of times a host closes because an inconsistent host–whether or not it’s due to fatal errors–threatens the integrity of the game. If you have someone constantly closing because they can’t deal with the public, you have a worse problem than someone with slow internet trying to host. I’d rather play at 20 FPS than not be allowed to finish a round.

Stopping a game mid-match because one person is being an issue seems like it’d suck in minigolf and ball race, and also wouldn’t be fun for the other people playing.

1 Like

It’s already not fun if they’re doing it, anyway. And if the only person that isn’t enjoying it is the host, then the host probably just needs to suck it up. We have all been in games where we are in the minority of what constitutes “fun” and we have all had to grit our teeth and deal with the people of the internet. It’s too much power and control to vest in one person outside of a private game.

Sometimes there really is just genuinely a reason to kick someone from a game. I’ve absolutely run into it before, multiple times. Having no vote kicking at all is at the way far end of the spectrum, I really don’t think vote kicking needs to be entirely removed at all. Of course abuse of vote kicking needs a good solution but I absolutely think we still need it.

5 Likes

Welp that sucks

5 Likes

Perfect example!

1 Like

This is the truth right here :smile:

2 Likes

Just got kicked from Ball Race for no reason mid round. Fun times. It feels like this discussion has been abandoned by developers

It wasn’t abandoned by developers at all. They talk about it in the Discord at times. It’s just that no one has been replying to this thread.

1 Like

It hasn’t been abandoned by us.

1 Like