Smooth Dirt's poor lighting

So, first off, thanks a ton to you guys for fixing the green glow. Just about everything looks much better overall and I’ve encountered a lot of people that are thrilled over it.

…BUT !!

I’d like to strike again while the topic is still hot. I have possibly one, new-ish, last bone to pick with Smooth Dirt; the fog. The short of it is that something about the recent 0.13.5.1 update just cranked up the amount of fog present when it’s set to “zero,” but I also believe this may not be the first time it’s happened to the map.

I don’t have anything demonstrating the following, but I distinctly remember a year ago that some rooms that I built slightly beneath Smooth Dirt’s floor were crystal clear in 0.8.6.0, and I recall them becoming foggy around 0.8.7.0 as well, but now this is happening above ground too.

Colors become misty, blacks become navy. Things start getting fairly washed out at medium distances:

Not to mention longer distances like vistas and rat maps.

(Above is from Elliot’s adventure map. A+ condo, check it out if you ever see it up.)

Also. while messing around, I noticed it’s most visible the closer you are to the ground level. Remember the first screenshot from my initial report in the OP? And how it looked almost perfectly monochromatic? Check out this clip. I got it looking almost perfect again by simply raising it’s elevation several thousand units into the sky where fog can’t reach it.

So yeah, if it’s not too much trouble, would it also be possible to revisit the fog? Preferably so environment sliders can turn it all the way off? Or so that there’s none above ground level when the slider is turned to 0%. Sorry for another long nitpick, I’m just fussing because we used to have this level of control, and it’s sooo close again.

4 Likes