Reward units based on damage instead of kills for survivors

Since currently total kills is what puts you in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on. This kinda generates a somewhat competitive environment for survivors, fighting to get the most kills. Which is odd because it’s a team based game.

Instead of having to worry about kill stealing. Make the payout and score based on damage done to infected, instead of whoever got the killing blow.

(A change like this would also be nice for Zombie Massacre.)

I was thinking about this recently. I’ve played other games where it tracks kills and damage you’ve done for that round and gives points based on that. So let’s say each infected has 1,000 health; it would give you the same amount of points as getting kills if you did the amount of damage to kill an infected normally. 1,000 damage = 1 kill points-wise. This would be better in my opinion because like you said, it’s a team based game. If it wasn’t then the “Team Player” payout wouldn’t be a thing.

I’d personally love this but I don’t know how feasible it is. Latency and poor hosts could make tracking exact damage numbers difficult…

I see nothing wrong with this. People get competitive within their own teams all the time. My friends and I frequently make it a game to see who can get to 100 points in tf2.

Killing is the ultimate way to ensure you don’t get caught, not just damaging them, so it should be the metric for success as a survivor.

Also, all this would do is make people start cheesing for most damage instead. For example, this would give the last survivor a huge advantage to come out on top cause they’d just have to fire blindly into the hoards without achieving kills, which is way harder if your more focused on running. That itself would encourage people to hide away until they’re last survivor.

Not to mention this would completely discount early infected from ever placing.

I say just leave it as it is.

4 Likes

This would work better for ZM than Virus imo

1 Like

As it stands now, Virus is a strange beast. The whole “team game” argument seems really flimsy, in practice this game is more like a free for all disguised as a team game. The placing doesn’t really make sense, as an infected can be first place while also losing the game. I think the entire games payouts need to be evaluated, and damage based rewards sounds like a good start.

5 Likes

At the very least kills should be awarded based on damage amount, the current system prioritises only the last hit which can damage the team aspect since xp farmers will wait til the last second to attack,

It also means that people wont bother using weaker weapons like pistols since anyone can shotgun them and get all the rewards for it. It’s even worse with the plasma rifle bug.

3 Likes

what plasma rifle bug are you talking about?

The secondary fire costs no ammo

was that confirmed as a bug? I just thought people were saying that it should cost ammo

It literally takes no ammo, the primary does, its unmistakable as a bug and is near assuredly already reported.

It’s not like it was in GMT, it isnt a recharge weapon.

I’m pretty sure if the no ammo thing was a bug they would’ve fixed it by now.

1 Like

I searched it up and found no reports for it, it wouldn’t make sense for the primary to take ammo and empty the weapon but have the much stronger secondary take none whatsoever, it used to take iirc 25 total ammo.

There might be a chance the devs dont know the bug exists, but I think its most likely they’re waiting til the next main update to fix it depending on how close they are, even if the rifle isn’t bugged its blatently overpowered, they would have at least gave the rifle a cooldown and also change the primary if the secondary was supposed to be infinite.

1 Like