Remake "Cinema" in UE4

This suggestion is about remaking “Cinema” gamemode that you created in Garry’s mod and submiting it into steam as a free to play game

Would be useful to make people sure if TU will run for them. (Link to “Cinema” would be in TU store page)

Menu concept

Too lazy to make background

Server browser would be just like the TU one
Create a server too

there would be a few maps
like:

• home TV

• Theater

(no more ideas)

Would also contain workshop support for custom maps

Tell me what do you think

Cinema worked in Gmod because it was a simple gamemode you could play really easily, just click join server and you’re there, but a separate game in UE4 would probably not work as well, its too much hassle for you to just watch youtube with people, people probably wouldn’t use it. Not to mention that this takes the devs time away from working on TU, meaning that they would spend time on a game that they don’t get money from and wouldn’t be played by many people.

At least, that’s my theory, who knows?

12 Likes

Well[quote=“DapperBanana, post:2, topic:19953”]
Not to mention that this takes the devs time away from working on TU, meaning that they would spend time on a game that they don’t get money from and wouldn’t be played by many people.
[/quote]

If this
http://gamejolt.com/games/the-joy-of-creation-halloween-edition/202196
Was created in 2-3 weeks, cinema would be created in like 1-2 weeks
most of work would go for maps
Also it’s mostly because of this

If this
http://gamejolt.com/games/the-joy-of-creation-halloween-edition/202196
Was created in 2-3 weeks, cinema would be created in like 1-2 weeks
most of work would go for maps
Also it’s mostly because of this

[/quote]

That’s a terrible comparison. That’s just a short single player experience with no fancy or complicated features. For a cinema gamemode, they’d have to make all of the maps, implement the screens, implement the YouTube API, set up a few servers for it, implent some moderation features. Tons more would go into a Cinema gamemode then that game you linked. Could potentially take months to make.

EDIT: Oh and as for you’re second point, that’s why this exists:

http://forums.pixeltailgames.com/t/not-sure-if-youll-be-able-to-run-tower-unite-try-this-ue4-performance-tester/337

2 Likes

For quick, this is meant to be hosted like gameworlds.

1. Take the media player system from TU
  2. make 2-3 maps
  3. make server system
  4. find bugs
  5. test
  6. release first version
  7. Update with workshop support for maps

Host would be able to moderate like in TU

There is no reason for them to remake it. Period.

These days, you have watch2gether or cytube, which is a MUCH less resourceful way to watch youtube videos together. Tower Unite has basically the same as well. Go to the cinema lobby or head to somebodys condo

You do know… uhh, the plaza has a theatre, right?

7 Likes

Which I’m sure will get more lovin’ later on down the road, hinted by little things such as the concession stand being functional but containing no items.

1 Like

I don’t really see people in the theatre

I am sure that won’t change by remaking Cinema either.

3 Likes

pretty pointless IMO
there are other, more important things to work at

2 Likes

I saw like 20 people in the theater last night
No one would use the cinema game they would just use their condo or the theater

So why did they even made Gmod cinema

PEOPLE MIGHT BE DIFFRENT ON DIFFRENT SERVERS

Some might not have money to buy the game

That was before they had their own game to work at.

Also, are you not going to adress this point?

They made cinema so they could test media players

For Everyone there

There i didn’t say it would be worked NOW, (maybe sometime after Early Access)

Steam refund, is a thing[quote=“PatrykPL24, post:13, topic:19953”]
Some might not have money to buy the game
[/quote]

That’s no reason for them to waste their time making exclusive maps for a Free-To-Play game, no matter when you expect them to work on it.

Preach it

The only reason i would want this to be a thing is to laugh at the player count. The reason Cinema was popular is because it’s a gamemode alongside Garry’s Mod. Making a standalone game just to watch youtube on is pointless and can be accomplished with less of a performance impact using sites like stated above.

Cinema could easily be created in TU by making the wooden doors in the theatre go to a small room like the private rooms in Cinema, and the developers wouldn’t have to stop working on Tower Unite just to remake Cinema.